Steering knobs.

I dislike them when 1 was on a lorry I shared with another driver a few years back phone call to boss

Me Can I remove "name of driver ’ knob please
Boss :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Me Thanks
Boss now stopped laughing he better not have 1 on so make sure it is removed now will speak with him in morning

Didn’t mean to get driver into any trouble just though would have a bit of laugh with boss although he was just asked not to replace it as it caused damage to steering wheel & boss didn’t like them

Another word for them thumb breaker as they alway in wrong place & get in way especially when reversing I don’t find them an aid unless in a folk lift

Think back in the day they were fashionable bit like fluffy dice but not now & not really needed for most these days with power steering etc

One of our drivers fitted one on his Foden eight legger but I could never get on with it. You were forced to use it even if you didn’t want to otherwise it cracked you across the wrist and got in the way, I used to unbolt it and refit it afterwards.

Pete.

I agree with all the people that like them, and I agree with all the people that dislike them, and for exactly the same reasons in both cases! :laughing:

They are handy for manoeuvring especially if it’s an awkward one into a barely suitable spot, yet they are an absolute pain in the arse when out on the open road.

So it always made me wonder why there weren’t collapsible/foldable ones, well, apparently there are!! amazon.co.uk/dp/B0771D4CJ3/ … TERDSZZ1Z9

My opinion is that it is down to driver discretion and or company policy.

I see no valid reason why you can’t fit one. One of our drivers who’s getting on a bit has one fitted and as far as I know it hasn’t failed an MOT with it on as I know it went for its Mot very recently with it fitted I believe. Unless Volvo removed it for its test and the put it back on but I can’t see that somehow.

All steering knobs should be banned,trouble is with that its reckoned theres already a driver shortage and companies have to take what they can,otherwise alot of companies would motors stood against the wall waiting or looking for DRIVERS :laughing: :laughing:

Like em…loathe em…do we start un bolting the 12 spotlights on the front…or take off the eminox cos its too loud…or throw the nameplate scratchy in the footwell ( sorry scratchy ) just because we have to drive another vehicle with someone elses stuff on cos we dont like it…wonder whats next !!. Frilly curtains…lighted scania emblems…or whatever…we only have to put up with other peoples likes for a short while dont we.

truckyboy:
Like em…loathe em…do we start un bolting the 12 spotlights on the front…or take off the eminox cos its too loud…or throw the nameplate scratchy in the footwell ( sorry scratchy ) just because we have to drive another vehicle with someone elses stuff on cos we dont like it…wonder whats next !!. Frilly curtains…lighted scania emblems…or whatever…we only have to put up with other peoples likes for a short while dont we.

Hardly applicable to the steering knobs discussion though is it, the knobs are a tactile thing that you are in contact with that can get in the way of your driving, especially if they are placed near where your hand usually holds the wheel, the fact that there’s Blackpool illuminations on the front or Madame Trixies Boudoir on the inside and you don’t like it (nor do I for the record) are as far as driving someone elses allocated vehicle for a day or two is concerned is completely irrelevant.

Reef:
I agree with all the people that like them, and I agree with all the people that dislike them, and for exactly the same reasons in both cases! :laughing:

They are handy for manoeuvring especially if it’s an awkward one into a barely suitable spot, yet they are an absolute pain in the arse when out on the open road.

So it always made me wonder why there weren’t collapsible/foldable ones, well, apparently there are!! amazon.co.uk/dp/B0771D4CJ3/ … TERDSZZ1Z9

The one I had a lot of years ago was like that!!!
I do do some tight reverses on my job but don’t feel the need to fit one these days although I liked them back then.

Cannot reverse without one if I am honest! :laughing:

I hate jumping into someone else’s truck who doesn’t use them I just feel lost when it comes to a tight reverse.

Also found it makes driving a manual much easier when negotiating roundabouts etc.

I worked for a tanker firm in Felixstowe years ago although you was allowed to put one on you got a bill for a steering wheel when you left or changed trucks .it was written into his t&c’s so you agreed to the deduction when you started

truckyboy:
Like em…loathe em…do we start un bolting the 12 spotlights on the front…or take off the eminox cos its too loud…or throw the nameplate scratchy in the footwell

Ill be leaving the spots and eminox on put the missus’s ‘Karla’ name plate goes straight in the locker… :grimacing: