Steering Wheel Knobs

No, not agency or Tesco drivers :laughing: but the ones as sold by tat merchants. I’ve just read the thread “You can have nothing” and I wondered how many drivers still use these things? As mentioned before, when removed they tend to leave a large dent in the wheel which is irritating to those who then have to drive it after the knob’s been removed. Is there a need for them in the days of powered steering? Even a modern 8w tipper doesn’t need one. Only one of our drivers has one, and that’s to go with the All Ride (extra tacky) steering wheel cover and those “bird ■■■” window graphics, so it’s safe to say they’re as pointless as buying Karen Carpenter a recipe book.

On plant machinery, forklifts, moffetts, telehandlers, yes. Trucks, no. If you can’t turn your steering wheel with a finger then you aren’t putting in much effort!

Took till the third post to mention Stobarts, that is what the threads about? Lol

Only had 1 truck with 1 in didnt feel right at all.

It feels wierd jumping in a loading shovel or rubber duck with them I’m ■■■■■■ if I’d want one on my steering wheel. Bird ■■■■ window stickers though guilty as charged.

Very useful, love 'em. Mind …it helps if they’re correctly positioned.

Had one on a Mini-van in 1976

F-reds:
On plant machinery, forklifts, moffetts, telehandlers, yes. Trucks, no. If you can’t turn your steering wheel with a finger then you aren’t putting in much effort!

what about disabled car drivers? :laughing: suits the wearer, NOT the starer :grimacing:

1 of our lads has one gets in the way IMO he says it is easier for him to reverse with it

I understand they are illegal unless you are registered disabled.

Could be wrong…but I’ve heard it from a number of sources.

F-reds:

^^^ This ^^^.

I have a feeling that these `steering knobs’ -Brodie knobs - /( suicide knobs) are an MOT failure,
due to the fitment causing damage to the integrity and structure of the vehicle steering wheel.

Unless the vehicle is plant/ forklift/ blah blah/ off-road, or : Disability Registered and specially adapted, then why would you need one for power steering and being in control of a vehicle on-road ■■
Granted 1 or 2 do reach the special needs radar spectrum :open_mouth: :grimacing: , but that`s another story :laughing: :laughing:
:exclamation: :arrow_right: Did you also know, that the Mercedes steering wheel is as large as it is,
in-case of power steering failure,
the diameter & circumference of steering wheel is such that sufficient effort can still be applied to steer the vehicle without power aided assistance :grimacing: / :arrow_right: :neutral_face: :grimacing:

trux:

F-reds:

^^^ This ^^^.

I have a feeling that these `steering knobs’ -Brodie knobs - /( suicide knobs) are an MOT failure,
due to the fitment causing damage to the integrity and structure of the vehicle steering wheel.

Unless the vehicle is plant/ forklift/ blah blah/ off-road, or : Disability Registered and specially adapted, then why would you need one for power steering and being in control of a vehicle on-road ■■
Granted 1 or 2 do reach the special needs radar spectrum :open_mouth: :grimacing: , but that`s another story :laughing: :laughing:
:exclamation: :arrow_right: Did you also know, that the Mercedes steering wheel is as large as it is,
in-case of power steering failure,
the diameter & circumference of steering wheel is such that sufficient effort can still be applied to steer the vehicle without power aided assistance :grimacing: / :arrow_right: :neutral_face: :grimacing:

MAN had the same idea my old 03 plate m2000 or f2000 what ever it was had a bloody massive steering wheel being a short arse I had the seat forward to reach the peddles thus resulting in the steering wheel resting on my stomach all day.

Ah, you mean " little legs " syndrome :wink: :laughing: :laughing:
that would explain the `rub mark ’ on t-shirts then :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

trux:
Ah, you mean " little legs " syndrome :wink: :laughing: :laughing:
that would explain the `rub mark ’ on t-shirts then :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Oh yes vertically challenged in my family, would also explain my obsession with cleaning the steering wheel with wet wipes god knows how many times a day I used to get fed up with a dirty line across my tshirt.

Had one on an old rigid I used to drive. Great for reversing but I tried not to use it going forward.

Cotswoldcrunch:
Tesco drivers :laughing:

They’re the biggest zb knobs I know:lol:

GasGas:
I understand they are illegal unless you are registered disabled.

Could be wrong…but I’ve heard it from a number of sources.

Not reliable sources

We always used to call them wrist breakers.
Front wheel blow out and let it catch your hand. Wrist gone I’m afraid.
They were very popular with people who couldn’t reverse without winding the unit all over the shop. Handy on plant or shunt motors and imho that is where they should stay.

Never had one on a truck, but had one on my corsa few years ago, was great for hand brake turns and general hooliganisms in the yard lol destroyed the steering wheel though

I tried one on my 4x4 off road, it did my noggin in, threw it in the nearest bin after two hours. :imp:

The wrist break is known as a chauffeur’s fracture, as back in the time of hand cranked engines. The handle would kick back if the engine misfired.
I’ve had one of these steering knobs kick back at me and bend my thumb back, luckily it didn’t break it, but it bleeding hurt!! This is why (as a scumbag agy driver) I carry a combi spanner in my bag to remove any knobs that are fitted to the trucks I’m give to drive.
The damage these things do to a modern steering wheel that can cost up to £500 to replace. I’m aware of a driver being given a bill for the cost of replacement steering wheel because he went against site policy of not fitting these hideous knobs to company trucks

“Steering wheel knobs” … I thought this was a post about tipper drivers :laughing: