STEERING WHEEL KNOBS

Redundancy befell a chap I spoke to today, if that was not bad enough the well know firm he worked for docked £400 from his entightlement for damage to the steering wheel caused by a so called suicide knob. Myself I hate the things I first drove trucks with no power steering and can not see why any one would want to use one. So please be careful if you have fitted one to your govners truck it could be costly.!!

Thats a bit harsh isnt it?

I thought the thread title was related to car drivers :open_mouth: :laughing:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Since when does a steering wheel cost £400

Docking money from his wages is illegal,and the subject of a post on here very recently.

Ken.

Quinny:
Docking money from his wages is illegal,and the subject of a post on here very recently.

Ken.

Thats true, tell your friend to take it further LE

pierrot 14:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Since when does a steering wheel cost £400

The firm charged him for a new wheel the airbag set up and computer reset.

Quinny:

Ken.

100% correct,an employee must authorise deduction’s in writing or else F off!!!

pierrot 14:

when did you last look into the price of LGV steering wheels? they all retail about that, especially if the’ve got radio/cruise controls built into them.

i’ve got a sliverline edition wheel on my 4 series, they have no buttons and retailed at £460 when i looked into a new one.

i agree it is harsh, but i do agree that they shouldnt be allowed, this is a pet hate of mine, i’ve taken over many trucks that have had damaged wheels from such things, which makes driving the vehicle very unpleasant. its a very selfish item to have as not all drivers like them, from a mechanic’s view they just get in the way and hurt like mad when they hit your fore arms.

as said with power steering why are they needed?

well sorry Tappy , I stand corrected.

Tappy:

pierrot 14:

when did you last look into the price of LGV steering wheels? they all retail about that, especially if the’ve got radio/cruise controls built into them.

i’ve got a sliverline edition wheel on my 4 series, they have no buttons and retailed at £460 when i looked into a new one.

i agree it is harsh, but i do agree that they shouldnt be allowed, this is a pet hate of mine, i’ve taken over many trucks that have had damaged wheels from such things, which makes driving the vehicle very unpleasant. its a very selfish item to have as not all drivers like them, from a mechanic’s view they just get in the way and hurt like mad when they hit your fore arms.

as said with power steering why are they needed?

Well said Tappy, I hate the poxy things, I would take the thing off before I took out a motor with one fitted, I had a driver once who put one on a Stralis of mine & I ripped all the buttons of a really nice shirt when I caught it getting out, it soon came off & went in the skip, the wheel underneath had been mangled by it so it ended up with insulating tape over it, I’m a tight ■■■■■■■ & as Quinny rightly says I couldn’t dock the blokes wages so a new wheel was not an option.

Ive met quite a few steering wheel knobs in my time.

kindle530:
Ive met quite a few steering wheel knobs in my time.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I was originally going to say something similar, but then I got on my soapbox :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok, some of you have been thinking it, I’ll voice it.

I was once told (and took it as read) that these knobs were only legal if the vehicle driver is registered disabled, the use of such by able bodied people is then illegal. I know our fitters remove them before taking the truck for an MOT, but don’t do it when servicing/or sending to dealers for repair, so I assume it’s not just 'cos they don’t like em.

As always I tense myself in anticipation of being proved wrong.

As far as I know, there is no specific legislation that refers to these knobs but there is legislation that says that if anything is fitted to a vehicle that increases the lack of control for that vehicle, then the driver leaves themselves open to prosecution especially in the case of an incident where the extra piece of equipment is deemed to have played a part.

Personally, I hate the things and have refused to drive a truck fitted with one - I have them removed and then all is OK.

Doing pull/push steering with one fitted is a deffo to have the wrist damaged.

They are great for a yard shunter unit though :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:
As far as I know, there is no specific legislation that refers to these knobs but there is legislation that says that if anything is fitted to a vehicle that increases the lack of control for that vehicle, then the driver leaves themselves open to prosecution especially in the case of an incident where the extra piece of equipment is deemed to have played a part.

Personally, I hate the things and have refused to drive a truck fitted with one - I have them removed and then all is OK.

Doing pull/push steering with one fitted is a deffo to have the wrist damaged.

They are great for a yard shunter unit though :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

IMHO I agree the knobs are great in tight places that require hard locks, or shunting etc. But i once had a truck that had one fitted, the driver had put it on him self.

I gave it a go but got about 3 miles out of the yard and felt it was a lot of hard work and did not feel I was in full control of the truck when using it, so i just kept clipping my hand every time the wheel slipped through my hand as I kept forgetting about it when I was driving, (i dont tend to look at the wheel while driving). So end of day i had a very red hand from where i had clipped the knob.

Dont get me wrong their a good invention for people who need them for say a medical reason - my cousin has one fitted to her car because she has limited upper body movement - i just dont think they are really for general use again IMHO

Are their any ex-traffic on here as to what view the cops would take if god forbid something happened and it was discovered your hand was on the knob and not the wheel??

One reply said they have them removed for the M.O.T, so my question is then based on that reply.

If they are removed for a MOT and you get pulled my VOSA surely they could give you a GV9 if you refused to removed it as it would be invalidating you MOT?

It might not have anything todo with the MOT i dont know… i’m just a driver, if anybody can actually find out, if geebee45 & co are reading this could you clear this up?? :smiley: :exclamation:

James
:slight_smile:

ive only ever driven one truck with a steering knob, was for a scaffolding firm and it did come in handy alot of the time when on site etc, driving on the motorways etc was a pain in t he ■■■ though because of where it was positioned.

pecjam23:
So end of day i had a very red hand from where i had clipped the knob.

Are you sue it was your hand that was red!!!

pecjam23:
Are their any ex-traffic on here as to what view the cops would take if god forbid something happened and it was discovered your hand was on the knob and not the wheel??

You would probably be locked up for indecent exposure or something

So many quotes so little time :laughing: :laughing:

All joking aside

I think they are a complete waste of time and money, unless for medical reasons. They just get in the way and if you need to do a tight turn what is wrong with the palm of the hand on the steering wheel? (I know it’s not the perfect way to drive but how many drivers do it?) Or taking it slower and using the push pull method? If you do use the push pull method it slows your driving down anyway so it’s not a bad thing is it.

If you want to play with knobs while driving do it in the dark

but don’t put your knob on any steering wheel that I will touch after please( and I don’t mean that in a rude way) it leaves gouges and is not a natural feel.

If you do use the push pull method it slows your driving down anyway

I disagree - using pull/push correctly is as fast and under more control than any other method - I proved this on a skid pan :exclamation: :exclamation:

Giblsa:
So many quotes so little time :laughing: :laughing:

I re-read it after posting and thought it would be a matter of time before someone picked up on those inocent words!!! :laughing: :unamused: :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Giblsa:
If you want to play with knobs while driving do it in the dark

I agree :exclamation: :exclamation:

Giblsa:
it leaves gouges and is not a natural feel

Yeah the steering wheel never does feel the same if somone had their knob on it, doesnt feel natural.

And thats my que to exit…

Coat, hat, “Taxi”…

ROG:

If you do use the push pull method it slows your driving down anyway

I disagree - using pull/push correctly is as fast and under more control than any other method - I proved this on a skid pan :exclamation: :exclamation:

I dont think i could do that all day, to me IMHO it would seem a lot of effort when other quicker methods can be used which to me are just as safe, i think i would soon break back into my hold habit of er…at this minute i cant picture in my head how i steer in a truck but def not P&P, hold that thought…

How many people let the wheel slide through their hands after a tight turn?? I believe thats a test fail for doing that■■? But it’s just habit.

Or come to that does any body take one hand off wheel to change gear when say coming off a roundabout, another test fail or at least marks againt you??