Clarity on Class 1 average earnings! Plus supermarket pay

Brandane62:

PAULSMC:
“Thanks for the replies!! How many hours did you have to do for that a week?”

About 60 probably on average.

And “what supermarket.”

C’mon I can’t do all the hard work for you :laughing:

So you worked somewhere in the region of 3000 hours, making an average hourly rate of £17 per hour. Presumably a good whack of your pay is at an overtime rate, and it’s nightshift. I’m guessing the normal nightshift rate is about £15 per hour. Top line looks impressive, but you’ve worked a load of hours for it!
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%. Then NI deductions on top of that.
Personally, I would prefer to cut my hours once the earnings take me over the 20% tax rate (this year that threshold has been increased to £50270). It would break my heart knowing that over 40% of my earnings were going straight to HM Treasury. Not that it’s likely to happen in my case!

Edit… Sorry, I was looking at English income tax rates. Scottish rates are slightly different: gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/ … 1-tax-year

The original poster was asking about earnings and I then clarified how I earned that sum, your breakdown of my rate is inaccurate and you have also not taken into account nearly 8 weeks holiday. But yes roughly 12 hours a day is reasonably long however that’s how long the job takes so it is what is.
Tax wise it’s not something I worry about, I pay what they take, all you can hope is that they might fix a pothole with some of it!
What it shows is that you can earn 50k plus however if you want a 35 hour week you might need some more qualifications than I have.