wages.

Hi all,
I’ve read lots of posts on this site regarding the wages in the industry. People saying you do 80 odd hours a week for peanuts etc…
So I was just wondering what peoples perception of a good and fair wage was? And for what hours.?

I understand theirs regional differences but we all have a figure that we have to achieve to be able to work to live as opposed to living to work?

What monthly take home would you find acceptable for class2 ? Class1?

In my current job ( not driving)I have a basic of 22000.then bonusesof between 200 and 800 which are hard to achieve. For that I work a 5 over 7 shift , weekends and bank holidays with no enhanced rate… Usually work from 7am -6\7pm . I’m then expected to be on call 24 hours a day for my customers. Although I am allocated an hours lunch I very rarely have time to take a break. Because the bonuses are very complicated one month you can get £800 the next month nothing. With very little control on how to achieve the bonus.
On the plus side my holiday entitlement is good and I get 12 weeks sick pay.

I think it depends where you live and the type of work you do, I live not far from hull and work for agencies because that’s what’s best for me and will not work for less than £10 per hour but I have been offered sort notice jobs paying £30 per hour but that’s very rare and only a one off. In this area I have worked for firms that pay there own drivers anything from £6.30 to £14 but there would be no chance of ever getting a full time job with the high paying ones as drivers never leave. I have noticed that class 2 rates seem to be going up faster than class 1 and at one firm that I don’t work at rates have gone from £7.40 to £10.30 in the last year.

Personally i don’t think you can judge it too much on pay per hour. Its the hours worked which makes you the money in this game so take home pay at the end of the week is what to look at.

As long as I have enough to pay the bills & a little left over then Im ok with that but as there is only me to pay them have to look or & I dont have to max my hr out every week

But we are all different in how much we need to live on

truckster5:
Personally i don’t think you can judge it too much on pay per hour. Its the hours worked which makes you the money in this game so take home pay at the end of the week is what to look at.

That is the most ridiculous comment ever!Of course you look at pay per hour.Who wants to work silly hours?All work and no play etc.
Do you want to work 70+ hrs and say “wow,£600” or “get in…50hrs …£600”?
Comments like that added with Drivers(idiots) happy to work loads of hours for Peanuts,is why the industry is Bollxed.Yes by the way,I’ve sat on my arse at home before taking that sort of offer.Get a grip man.It’s a Stobart Driver’s level of thinking.

Toffeetom:

truckster5:

That is the most ridiculous comment ever!Of course you look at pay per hour.Who wants to work silly hours?All work and no play etc.
Comments like that added with Drivers(idiots) happy to work loads of hours for Peanuts,is why the industry is Bollxed.Yes by the way,I’ve sat on my arse at home before taking that sort of offer.Get a grip man.It’s a Stobart Driver’s level of thinking.

Would you like to get down from your high horse?? :unamused:

Point i’m trying to make is someone stacking shelves for example might earn more per hour but they work set hours, majority of truckers don’t hence we can earn more when looking at weekly take home pay rather than hourly rate. Yes vs hours worked / social life we lose but then how many trucking jobs are 9 - 5 and all we have to do is sit on our fat behind loading and unloading a few times a day.

Toffeetom:

truckster5:

What gives you the right to call a driver that works loads of hours an idiot? He may just enjoy the job, and be very happy doing it. And not everyone has the luxury of being able sit at home and turn down job offers - bills have to be paid, and kids have to be fed. I totally agree that hourly rates are not the be all and end all. Job security, sick pay, holidays, bonuses, training and type of work are just some of the factors to take into consideration when looking at a job.

21yrs+ of spineless Drivers…thats what.God bless the French.I have,like they,stood my ground…I have had agencies begging to have contracts covered before now.Example:agency wanted a Haz load to be in ■■■■■■■■■■■ for 6am…it had to be there.No if’s,No but’s.Not at £12.50pr hr it wasn’t!They came back and negotiated from £20 down to what I wanted…£18pr hr.That job was for a regular customer and lasted for 2 weeks at that rate.I still speak to them now.I cleaned up.If you are happy to accept a lesser rate,bless you.Take a look at it & think,‘Is that what i’m worth really’?You stick to wbat you think your level is & I will mine.I have Two kid’s, a house,a very good looking wife to keep happy & a CLK Merc and Porsche to run.I reckon that’s what gives me the right.Assuming i’m doing something right that is.
If you set your sights high,you WILL get what you dream of.Set them low???Enjoy shopping at Asda.From 21 yrs of age,I set a target for myself…I started with a minging Ford Orion 1.4l.I went to a Vauxhall…then Volvo…Saab convert…5 series…Mercedes…(a Kawasaki ZZR1100 & other Bikes)…& now a Merc & Porsche.At 45yrs of age I have set a Ferrari as my next goal.As I said,you set your own levels in life.Set a standard now & stick to it.I have had one or two bad times…inc. Xmas…I know what I want.Do you?

Happy with ■■■■ poor pay & unbelievable hours & divorce?Stobart awaits.
I will send you a postcard on my next Jaunt abroad.

i agree,ive had 27 yrs in this game and nowts changed much ridiculous parking fees scratchin about for a shower.when i started ?£13.50 for a night out aint gone up much has it some wages aint gone up much niether.best thing i seen happen was fuel strike had the tossers to ranson then let it go drivers could hold this country up for better wages but wont stick togeather.like you say the frogs stick togeather i admire um.

Toffeetom:
21yrs+ of spineless Drivers…thats what.God bless the French.I have,like they,stood my ground…I have had agencies begging to have contracts covered before now.Example:agency wanted a Haz load to be in ■■■■■■■■■■■ for 6am…it had to be there.No if’s,No but’s.Not at £12.50pr hr it wasn’t!They came back and negotiated from £20 down to what I wanted…£18pr hr.That job was for a regular customer and lasted for 2 weeks at that rate.I still speak to them now.I cleaned up.If you are happy to accept a lesser rate,bless you.Take a look at it & think,‘Is that what i’m worth really’?You stick to wbat you think your level is & I will mine.I have Two kid’s, a house,a very good looking wife to keep happy & a CLK Merc and Porsche to run.I reckon that’s what gives me the right.Assuming i’m doing something right that is.
If you set your sights high,you WILL get what you dream of.Set them low???Enjoy shopping at Asda.From 21 yrs of age,I set a target for myself…I started with a minging Ford Orion 1.4l.I went to a Vauxhall…then Volvo…Saab convert…5 series…Mercedes…(a Kawasaki ZZR1100 & other Bikes)…& now a Merc & Porsche.At 45yrs of age I have set a Ferrari as my next goal.As I said,you set your own levels in life.Set a standard now & stick to it.I have had one or two bad times…inc. Xmas…I know what I want.Do you?

You do realise your in the newbies section - start at the bottom and work your way up - experience is more valuable than pay.

I’m sure most newbies starting out would love to hold out for the dream ticket of £20 per hour and a nice top of the range Scania but they will probably be waiting a very long time.

sonny pruit:
i agree,ive had 27 yrs in this game and nowts changed much ridiculous parking fees scratchin about for a shower.when i started ?£13.50 for a night out aint gone up much has it some wages aint gone up much niether.best thing i seen happen was fuel strike had the tossers to ranson then let it go drivers could hold this country up for better wages but wont stick togeather.like you say the frogs stick togeather i admire um.

Thing is Sonny,they don’t want ridiculous wages,just a fair crack for a days work.So,Drivers on here advising experience first,won’t help the lad.If he has any sense,he will take heed from you & I mate or follow the Truck Polisher’s and struggle.

@Truckster5.
I’ve never had a NEW Scania and don’t really care for Trucks very much…it’s a work tool.Simple.Nor have I had a dream £20pr hr job.Telling the lad to start low and hope for experience to solve all in the future will not help and in my opinion is ■■■■ poor advice.I wish him the sincerest best in this awful job(& thats all it is.A JOB.Not a career) but he should aim high from the start and not accept anything less.That or go Truck Polishing with the rest as I find from experience that a new Truck=crap pay.
What type of Driver am I?Well when some reach for ‘Commercial Motor magazine’ on the Top shelf of a newsagent shelf,I reach for a Jazz mag,Sports car mag,Cruise Holiday mag.
I’m not a Truck Driver…I just Drive Trucks.Thats the difference.

truckster5:

Toffeetom:

You do realise your in the newbies section - start at the bottom and work your way up - experience is more valuable than pay.

I’m sure most newbies starting out would love to hold out for the dream ticket of £20 per hour and a nice top of the range Scania but they will probably be waiting a very long time.

I had a dream of owning my own and getting out of the council estate I grew up in I’m 27 I have a flat that I rent out which I bought when I was 20, February we moved into our 3 bed house nice drive way garage everything I dreamt off I have a bmw on the drive all be it a 10 year old one but it was only a few years old when I bought it cash. Never had a loan finance credit card or anything and it all started on my £6/7.50 driving job when I started at 18. I’m on a good Craic now but it’s taken me 9 years the op may not walk in to a driving job earning much more than he’s on now but keep your head down look after the kit that’s given to you and the money comes. All this I wouldn’t get out of bed bs for less than this that or the other does my head I started on a ■■■■ rate and watched what I spent my money on there’s money in the job and yes you need to do the hours to get it but I’m rarely doing more than 55/60 a week for newbies ■■■■ the rate just get your foot in the door get noticed and the money comes.

Toffeetom:
@Truckster5.
I’ve never had a NEW Scania and don’t really care for Trucks very much…it’s a work tool.Simple.Nor have I had a dream £20pr hr job.Telling the lad to start low and hope for experience to solve all in the future will not help and in my opinion is ■■■■ poor advice.I wish him the sincerest best in this awful job(& thats all it is.A JOB.Not a career) but he should aim high from the start and not accept anything less.That or go Truck Polishing with the rest as I find from experience that a new Truck=crap pay.
What type of Driver am I?Well when some reach for ‘Commercial Motor magazine’ on the Top shelf of a newsagent shelf,I reach for a Jazz mag,Sports car mag,Cruise Holiday mag.
I’m not a Truck Driver…I just Drive Trucks.Thats the difference.

Coming from someone who’s just recently started in the driving game, wages are the last thing you worry about as a newbie. Its a nightmare trying to get a foothold in trucking. You shell your 3k on your ticket and no one wants to know.
Being given that one chance is worth its weight in gold.

While i agree we should all aim high, new drivers just do not have this luxury unfortunately. Some simply have to start at the ■■■■■■ end of the stick to get on the ladder.

So i just got my 1st full weeks wage packet in my 1st job since passing my test. £476 with only 2 nights out and a 48 hour week. Dont give a ■■■■ what anyone says about the money being ■■■■ in this game as i feel alot of them havent been out and worked in a different industry in a while. I knocked my arse out 7 days a week on a farm for 10 years and got to the highest i could be all for £250 a week so i have nearly doubled my wage and worked half the hours and i earn more than my.missus and she is a solicitor. When i started looking for a job a month ago after passing my test money wasnt even on my mind. A foot in the door was much more important. Do my 2 years and build from there and best of luck

jmc:
So i just got my 1st full weeks wage packet in my 1st job since passing my test. £476 with only 2 nights out and a 48 hour week. Dont give a [zb] what anyone says about the money being [zb] in this game as i feel alot of them havent been out and worked in a different industry in a while. I knocked my arse out 7 days a week on a farm for 10 years and got to the highest i could be all for £250 a week so i have nearly doubled my wage and worked half the hours and i earn more than my.missus and she is a solicitor. When i started looking for a job a month ago after passing my test money wasnt even on my mind. A foot in the door was much more important. Do my 2 years and build from there and best of luck

Can I be nosey is the £476 take home or before tax also is it class1 or 2? I’m asking as I’m interested what a newbie can make as I’m one myself

Thanks Justin

Aye bud that was what was paid into my bank on friday morning and its class 1 bud

jmc:
So i just got my 1st full weeks wage packet in my 1st job since passing my test. £476 with only 2 nights out and a 48 hour week. Dont give a [zb] what anyone says about the money being [zb] in this game as i feel alot of them havent been out and worked in a different industry in a while. I knocked my arse out 7 days a week on a farm for 10 years and got to the highest i could be all for £250 a week so i have nearly doubled my wage and worked half the hours and i earn more than my.missus and she is a solicitor. When i started looking for a job a month ago after passing my test money wasnt even on my mind. A foot in the door was much more important. Do my 2 years and build from there and best of luck

That’s a reasonable wage, I’d work for that (but without the nights out)

Although, if you’re pulling more than your missus she can’t be a very good solicitor! I know if my missus was one then I’d not be working. Period.

Ah see bud this where the misconception of solicitors comes in. Aye in big firms in big cities they might make alot of money… but there aint any of that in ■■■■■■■ bud.
Also think you may be thinking of a barrister as in someone who stands up in court. Again in this area a tramper for stobarts hitting all the targets will make more than a barrister round here. And they say driving a truck is ■■■■ money