wages.

jmc:
So i just got my 1st full weeks wage packet in my 1st job since passing my test. £476 with only 2 nights out and a 48 hour week.

That’s decent pay. I did 47 hours last week and took home £434 with no nights out so we’re probably on similar money. It’s my first full time Class 1 job too so fair pay for newbies is obviously out there if you’re willing to go out and find it.

truckster5:
Personally i don’t think you can judge it too much on pay per hour. Its the hours worked which makes you the money in this game so take home pay at the end of the week is what to look at.

Unfortunately it’s this way of thinking which has lead to the drop in drivers wages as a whole. There are drivers out there that will do max hours every week so long as they hit the magical £500. Companies have cottoned on to this and this is the reason we’re seeing so many Class 1 jobs on £100 day rates or £8 an hour straight through.

Living in your truck for 70 hours a week is fine, I do it some weeks if it suits. But you should expect a tad more than the £100 some drivers are willing to do it for. In fact, you should expect a lot more.

Put yourself in your bosses shoes. You’re basically saying you don’t really care how many hours you do as long as you earn X amount of money. Common sense dictates he’s going to pay you poorly (per hour) if all you’re looking at is the top line.