Clarity on Class 1 average earnings! Plus supermarket pay

Hi everyone ,

My earlier post didn’t make it clear what average annual earnings are for class 1 drivers down south.

I hear 45-55k is doable with long hours etc and I hear supermarkets can pay quite well.

Anyone in here earning that sort of money?

Thanks for all the replies!

P.s no depressing comments lol

jcole2696:
Hi everyone ,

My earlier post didn’t make it clear what average annual earnings are for class 1 drivers down south.

I hear 45-55k is doable with long hours etc and I hear supermarkets can pay quite well.

Anyone in here earning that sort of money?

Yes although not down south but in East Yorkshire, Cheshire and Northamptonshire sites. Salary where I’m at is £47k for a 54hr week including breaks.

Just remember, for everyone claiming to be on £45K - £60K on agency due to temp bonuses, there are probably 50 people on £30K working 60 hours fulltime and going back to their own bed, who just keep quiet as they have no interest in willy waving competitions and know they can’t just be dumped with 6 hours notice.

Having said that, £45K is likely doable for anyone tramping fulltime 5 days I would imagine anywhere but with max hours I would hope they do pay decently. That likely includes night out money etc for some lower payers. I’ve seen massive variations however with some stupidly low money down south.

Not intended to be depressing, just realistic. Of course down south it should be more, but then your prices are a lot higher, so simply adjusted pay (hopefully). Swings and roundabouts, find what works for you.

My best was just over £40k. Had to work very long hours for that and have since said to myself sod that. My basic is around £28k a year for a 42.5 hour week not including breaks. Super market work.

trevHCS:
Just remember, for everyone claiming to be on £45K - £60K on agency due to temp bonuses

The salary I quoted is for permanent drivers.

there are probably 50 people on £30K working 60 hours fulltime and going back to their own bed

Only if they’re mugs because that’s not even £10/hr. If you’re not earning at least £37k for a 60hr week (£12/hr) and ideally £40k (£13/hr) you need to go look elsewhere because £12-£13/hr is the new £10/hr and should be considered the minimum to look for when going for a job no matter where you are in the country. There’ll probably be drivers who will take up those £10/hr jobs but in the main they’ll be those who are effectively unemployable, more than 6 points, maybe a DD on their licence, been sacked more times than they’ve had hot dinners…

………

The money seems to be going up by the day at present, although I notice that it still doesn’t seem to be possible to pick and choose the start/finish times I want…

All depends on what is classed as good money, I retired 10 years ago (2011) P60 as of 5 April 2011 £29627 and that was average 48/50 hrs max,in house store deliveries make what you will of it many struggle to get 5/6 k more than that now.

PAULSMC:
Supermarket, nightshift, off most weekends although not all, year ending April 2021

Thanks for the replies!! How many hours did you have to do for that a week?

PAULSMC:
Supermarket, nightshift, off most weekends although not all, year ending April 2021

Sorry and what supermarket? If you don’t mind me asking :slight_smile:

Winseer:
The money seems to be going up by the day at present, although I notice that it still doesn’t seem to be possible to pick and choose the start/finish times I want…

Me too.
I’m still looking for a job where I finish before I start. I’ll be OK with a salary, not hourly paid too.

Maybe its just me but i’ve never understood the way people focus so much on the brutto wage,to me its irrelevant what you get brutto,surely the only thing which matters is what goes in the bank.Its easy to impress with a high brutto but what is the end result after all the deductions.

hutpik:
Maybe its just me but i’ve never understood the way people focus so much on the brutto wage,to me its irrelevant what you get brutto,surely the only thing which matters is what goes in the bank.Its easy to impress with a high brutto but what is the end result after all the deductions.

What’s a Brutto?

Think it depends where you live, I’m from Northamptonshire where wages tend to be higher than average for drivers.

Blue chip high street chains/supermarkets tend to pay the best rates especially on agency, but you got work most weekends to keep busy.

My wife don’t mind me having my rest days in the week (No young kids) £50000 is norm now if it carries on like it’s been over the last couple of years. No nights out but quite a bit of manual work to keep you fit which doesn’t suit everyone but I enjoy it.

elsa Lad:
Think it depends where you live, I’m from Northamptonshire where wages tend to be higher than average for drivers.

Blue chip high street chains/supermarkets tend to pay the best rates especially on agency, but you got work most weekends to keep busy.

My wife don’t mind me having my rest days in the week (No young kids) £50000 is norm now if it carries on like it’s been over the last couple of years. No nights out but quite a bit of manual work to keep you fit which doesn’t suit everyone but I enjoy it.

Manual work?
Use it. Or lose it!
Arms, legs, heart…fitness generally.
(sent from a terrace nursing a(nother) beer)

hutpik:

As few people have exactly the same personal/financial/tax circumstances, gross pay is usually the most straightforward way to compare the pay for different jobs. The person doing the comparison can then apply his own tax/financial situation to the figures quoted.

“Thanks for the replies!! How many hours did you have to do for that a week?”

About 60 probably on average.

And “what supermarket.”

C’mon I can’t do all the hard work for you :laughing:

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

Haha fair enough! Thanks for your help

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

So you worked somewhere in the region of 3000 hours, making an average hourly rate of £17 per hour. Presumably a good whack of your pay is at an overtime rate, and it’s nightshift. I’m guessing the normal nightshift rate is about £15 per hour. Top line looks impressive, but you’ve worked a load of hours for it!
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%. Then NI deductions on top of that.
Personally, I would prefer to cut my hours once the earnings take me over the 20% tax rate (this year that threshold has been increased to £50270). It would break my heart knowing that over 40% of my earnings were going straight to HM Treasury. Not that it’s likely to happen in my case!

Edit… Sorry, I was looking at English income tax rates. Scottish rates are slightly different: gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/ … 1-tax-year

Brandane62:

PAULSMC:

And “what supermarket.”

So you worked somewhere in the region of 3000 hours, making an average hourly rate of £17 per hour. Presumably a good whack of your pay is at an overtime rate, and it’s nightshift. I’m guessing the normal nightshift rate is about £15 per hour. Top line looks impressive, but you’ve worked a load of hours for it!
Problem is, you will have paid 40% tax on everything you earned over £35k in tax year 2020/21, which is why your average tax paid is over 20%. Then NI deductions on top of that.
Personally, I would prefer to cut my hours once the earnings take me over the 20% tax rate (this year that threshold has been increased to £50270). It would break my heart knowing that over 40% of my earnings were going straight to HM Treasury. Not that it’s likely to happen in my case!

Edit… Sorry, I was looking at English income tax rates. Scottish rates are slightly different: gov.uk/scottish-income-tax/ … 1-tax-year

The original poster was asking about earnings and I then clarified how I earned that sum, your breakdown of my rate is inaccurate and you have also not taken into account nearly 8 weeks holiday. But yes roughly 12 hours a day is reasonably long however that’s how long the job takes so it is what is.
Tax wise it’s not something I worry about, I pay what they take, all you can hope is that they might fix a pothole with some of it!
What it shows is that you can earn 50k plus however if you want a 35 hour week you might need some more qualifications than I have.