What will happen to the three pointed star!

With the recent Daimler-Mercedes Benz company split who will get to use the famous three star brand symbol? Only one company will be able to use it as their trademark so it’s heading to the courts :open_mouth: todaynewspost.com/auto-news/dai … nd-rights/

lancpudn:
With the recent Daimler-Mercedes Benz company split who will get to use the famous three star brand symbol? Only one company will be able to use it as their trademark so it’s heading to the courts :open_mouth: todaynewspost.com/auto-news/dai … nd-rights/

They seem to have forgotten the history of Mercedes Benz.Here’s a clue Mercedes wasn’t directly the name of the car manufacturer that made Mercedes cars Daimler and Benz was.Hence Mercedes Benz not Mercedes Jellinek.
Mercedes will lose that case because there was/is no such car manufacturer.
Jellinek and Maybach only gave the name of Jellinek’s daughter to a car type not a car manufacturer just like AMG can’t claim the three pointed star.
:open_mouth: :laughing:
mbscottsdale.com/blog/where- … come-from/

While maybe the realisation is dawning that they don’t have a brand without a 6.0 Litre V8 ICE powered AMG option.It’s irrelevant.So now they are turning on each other rather than fighting the governments responsible for this zb show.
Unfortunately a massive nuclear disaster in Europe and/or the realisation that biomass means burning living trees instead of dead ones.
Thereby turning people against the Global Warmist zealots, is all that will save Mercedes ( and Ferarri and Jaguar etc etc now ) and I would rather see those marques be allowed to die with dignity, remembered for what they were and what we’ve lost if we allow these commy control freak dictators to win out, than put their names to a EV toy. :frowning:
It’s clear that this fight isn’t over a badge but the freedom of choice for car users to keep buying and using ‘Mercedes’ cars and all the other marques.
Ironic and fitting that it is the firm which gave us the ‘motor’ car not the EV at the start.

Who cares? They can take the badge off, it’ll still be a piece of crap truck.

I wonder which warning light will pop up randomly when I start the pile of cat sick up tomorrow morning?

Carryfast:
Unfortunately a massive nuclear disaster in Europe and/or the realisation that biomass means burning living trees instead of dead ones.

Got to love your regular obsessions.

There is precedent here in a very similar situation, Volvo. Volvo Trucks and Volvo Cars both share the name, logo and even font. So there’s a good chance not much will change

Daimler were not interested in Branding with other marques. The Jeep and Chrysler models didn’t have Daimler Chrysler plastered over the vehicles. We call the prestige German a “Mercedes Benz”. The Germans call it simply “Benz”

Much like in Derby no one works for Rolls Royce, they all work at Royce’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Got to love your regular obsessions.

As opposed to your deluded belief in the idea that more man made water vapour, and reducing the planet’s ability to convert CO2 into Oxygen , and the risk of nuclear disaster is what’s needed to solve a non existent problem.
Assuming anyone can actually afford 16p per kwh + road fuel duty + 20% VAT plus the cost of the batteries.
If Benz wanted to flog EV’s not ICE powered cars that’s what he would have done from the start.

Wheel Nut:
Daimler were not interested in Branding with other marques. The Jeep and Chrysler models didn’t have Daimler Chrysler plastered over the vehicles. We call the prestige German a “Mercedes Benz”. The Germans call it simply “Benz”

That’s a Mercedes.No three pointed star.
siamagazin.com/the-1903-mercede … sport-car/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_60hp

That’s a Benz.Also no three pointed star
bonhams.com/auctions/16246/lot/511/

It’s obvious that Daimler owns the intellectual property rights to the three pointed star.
daimler.com/company/traditio … birth.html

That’s an EV.
3-18 mph ‘reasonably competitive’.Yeah right.It has no place as a Benz or Mercedes then or now.None of the Group’s founders would want the 3 pointed star put on an EV.Thanks for the birth of the ICE powered car and the idea of the performance car, a major part of my life and other car enthusiasts.
Hopefully it’s not the end and we can stop these control freak zealots.
american-automobiles.com/Electr … ctric.html

Wheel Nut:

And my uncle used to work for Cunard.
sorry…

Wheel Nut:

And in Chichester it’s BMW at the start [emoji6]

Sent from my truck

Wheel Nut:

And in Chichester it’s BMW at the start [emoji6]

Sent from my truck

Wheel Nut:

I may be wrong but I understood that the Mercedes monika (I think Mercedes was Benz’s daughter’s name) was added as a prefix after WW1 to ease sales in France where Benz was considered too Germanic when anything German was not held in high esteem. That would explain why, if Wheel Nut is correct, the Germans call the vehicles Benz.

Talking electric Mercedes have the best electric advert I’ve yet seen. This is how to do it, just pitch it as another step in a long and rich history, not something different

youtube.com/shorts/SsjrveKffEg

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

That’s a Mercedes.No three pointed star.
siamagazin.com/the-1903-mercede … sport-car/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_60hp

That’s a Benz.Also no three pointed star
bonhams.com/auctions/16246/lot/511/

It’s obvious that Daimler owns the intellectual property rights to the three pointed star.
daimler.com/company/traditio … birth.html
l

Certainly a three pointed star here…

000f27e0-642.jpg

Dipster:

Wheel Nut:

I may be wrong but I understood that the Mercedes monika (I think Mercedes was Benz’s daughter’s name) was added as a prefix after WW1 to ease sales in France where Benz was considered too Germanic when anything German was not held in high esteem. That would explain why, if Wheel Nut is correct, the Germans call the vehicles Benz.

Check out the links I posted.
Merecedes’ name was used as of at least 1903 such as on the 30-60hp Simplex range.The Three Pointed Star was invented by the Daimler family and introduced in 1925 by his son on the Mercedes model range.At that point the Maybach/Jenillek tuning firm, where the Mercedes name originated, having been merged with Daimler/Benz.
There was no such firm as ‘Mercedes’ only the Jellinek/Maybach partnership.
If they now want to make the Mercedes brand a seperate entity then the rights to the Three Pointed Star clearly stays with its owner Daimler.
All moot when either of them can only realistically stick a plastic Chinese made three pointed star on an EV toy car like the pathetic Studebaker of their day probably also made using Chinese components.Daimler, Benz and Maybach and Jellinek and his daughter Mercedes would all be spinning in their graves. :frowning:

The AMG 6.2 M156 and the Brabus 7.3 litre V12 are both the last of the true Mercedes cars built to the formula of the 60 hp Simplex.Shame about the auto box though.That’s how their names should be remembered not the badge stuck on a poxy EV.

youtube.com/watch?v=o6XuBgQhm58

youtube.com/watch?v=e53Us_hfqOs

Why would such iconic marques want to go with EV’s instead of forcing the issue of hydrogen fuelled ICE.
Bunch of bankers cynically treating their customers like mugs.Put a Merc badge on an EV they’ll buy it with the two opposing sides fighting over who gets the badge.Not for the soul of the firm. :imp:

switchlogic:
Talking electric Mercedes have the best electric advert I’ve yet seen. This is how to do it, just pitch it as another step in a long and rich history, not something different

They’d already taken that ( correct ) step over 100 years ago in the choice between 60hp Simplex v Studebaker EV. :unamused:

switchlogic:

I wonder when they shot that commercial! They’ve cancelled the launch of the EQC in the states :open_mouth: I’m not really surprised with a range of 200 miles & $69k price tag isn’t going to cut it in the USA. :astonished:
A Chevy Bolt costs less than half the price ($32k) & has 259 miles of range.

lancpudn:
They’ve cancelled the launch of the EQC in the states :open_mouth: I’m not really surprised with a range of 200 miles & $69k price tag isn’t going to cut it in the USA. :astonished:
A Chevy Bolt costs less than half the price ($32k) & has 259 miles of range.

If only the ‘split’ was because of an argument between those wanting to go with Hydrogen fuelled ICE.If that was Mercedes’ bosses then morally the three pointed star would belong on a proper ICE powered car.
youtube.com/watch?v=bYf60dxOAPo
If it’s just a cynical argument about which side’s EV to use it on then a curse on both their houses.Hope Mercedes lose big style and who gives a zb what Daimler Benz decides to glue it on.It will never be worthy of the name or the history it will be like Daimler/Benz/Maybach/Jennilek following Studebaker’s joke EV toy of 1902.
FFS DB fight off this EV zb and get through it if anyone can they can.
youtube.com/watch?v=E9v4BdDwyn4

I’m more a Polestar man. A Precept is what I’d buy if I had the money
C15E7593-B285-4566-8107-DA9630342893.jpeg

Cue the Trucknet crazy launching into a tirade about China

switchlogic:
I’m more a Polestar man. A Precept is what I’d buy if I had the money0

I’ll just bolt 4 of these under the cab of a 7.5 tonner with two or three tonnes of batteries on the back.Then we’ll see how good the ‘regenerative braking system’ is.Range shouldn’t be an issue though so long as it’s kept below 180 mph but the tyres who knows. :laughing:
motorauthority.com/news/1127 … plications