The survivors???

Today I read an article in the newspaper that a Daimler-chef ‘predicts/knows’ that Volkswagen is
about to acquire Paccar, with or without DAF…but as they own Scania and M.A.N. that would
indicate quite some impact on what we are buying in the near future? To avoid too much impact
it is suggested that Iveco would be interested to take over DAF? Bear in mind that Volkswagen had
a strong start with the Constellation! A very promissing truck, for sure globally!

An example to have some benchmarking?

Mind the MAN-typification…

Very interesting A-J! It looks as if we’re in for another generation of ‘badge-engineering’. I don’t mind, if it brings us quality trucks; but we all know from experience that it probably means we will suffer more and more restricted choice. The problem with restricted choice is that the ‘giants’ end up dictating what kind of engines, gearboxes, rear axles, cabs, chassis etc etc we have. The rot set in when Mercedes Benz decided we should all have EPS crap gearboxes whether we liked it or not. Let’s hope that the new order at least produce trucks of a high built-quality, even if no one wants to drive the f***ckers!

Nonetheless, thank you A-J for bringing this news hot off the press into this arena. :slight_smile: Robert

It is chicken-egg and reverse…when operators ignore the range manufacturers offer…it all
will end up in gaining the customer 5 years (life cycle in terms of leasing and finance) later?

We have been there…

• Hanomag, Henschel, Borgward, Krupp, Freightliner absorbed by Mercedes,
  • Büssing, E.R.F. by MAN, subsequently MAN and Scania by Volkswagen,
  • Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat, Ford, Seddon-Atkinson by Iveco,
  • Indiana, Autocar, White, Western Star by Volvo,
  • Foden, Leyland, DAF, Peterbilt, Kenworth by Paccar,
  • Brockway, Mack, Renault to be Mack/Renault
  • etc

One million dollar question is…in which way we can ‘assemble’ our truck like we can with cars?

Purchase will be matrix-driven with thick-off boxes…driveline, comfort, miscellaneous

I still wonder why Volkswagen did not introduce their constellation in Europe, compare it with the
cardivison where you can purchase a variety of Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat and Bently…whereas an
extensive number of essential components is the same…Audi-A8 versus Volkswagen-Phaeton?

Perhaps more concentration on disciplines…e.g. M.A.N. strong in tippers etc? Just like DAF tried
with GINAF for tippers?

ERF-Continental:
It is chicken-egg and reverse…when operators ignore the range manufacturers offer…it all
will end up in gaining the customer 5 years (life cycle in terms of leasing and finance) later?

We have been there…

• Hanomag, Henschel, Borgward, Krupp, Freightliner absorbed by Mercedes,
  • Büssing, E.R.F. by MAN, subsequently MAN and Scania by Volkswagen,
  • Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat, Ford, Seddon-Atkinson by Iveco,
  • Indiana, Autocar, White, Western Star by Volvo,
  • Foden, Leyland, DAF, Peterbilt, Kenworth by Paccar,
  • Brockway, Mack, Renault to be Mack/Renault
  • etc

One million dollar question is…in which way we can ‘assemble’ our truck like we can with cars?

Purchase will be matrix-driven with thick-off boxes…driveline, comfort, miscellaneous

I still wonder why Volkswagen did not introduce their constellation in Europe, compare it with the
cardivison where you can purchase a variety of Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat and Bently…whereas an
extensive number of essential components is the same…Audi-A8 versus Volkswagen-Phaeton?

Perhaps more concentration on disciplines…e.g. M.A.N. strong in tippers etc? Just like DAF tried
with GINAF for tippers?

You raise some very good points. Why indeed didn’t VW introduce its truck into Europe on the back of its reputation as a VW/Audi/Skoda etc ‘one size fits all’ truck? And I love your ‘chicken-and-egg’ in reverse analogy. Your post is most thought-provoking! Robert :smiley:

I can think of a few reasons why VW did not launch its Brazilian vehicle in Europe:

1. It would take sales off the narrow-cabbed MAN range.
  2. The perceived “quality”- fit and finish- of South American vehicles may not be up to European standards, and VW would not want its image tarnished.
  3. The vehicle was largely designed and developed in Brazil, so there will be lots of “foreign” parts on it, which are unfamiliar to European service technicians. Those Skoda and Seat cars are based on old-model VWs, so the oily bits are already commonplace in Europe.

I wonder why VW Brazil went ahead with the Constellation in the first place, when it could have adapted the narrow-cab MAN TGA for South America. Did VW’s takeover of MAN happen after the Constellation was almost ready for the market?

I think that it is also probable that the Constellation fails to meet some, or all, of the wonderful Euro regulations on C&U or emissions that keep us all so very safe. :confused:

David

A true business-case…DAF decided to open a factory in Brasil…first components
were shipped from Europe, whereas the cabs are produced some 60miles from the main
assembly in Eindhoven. We have been there with the ERF European when out of Sandbach
some 25 CKD-kits were shipped to Brussels for CDB to assemble. I assume DAF will also open
a cab-production in Brasil, but should it be the same cab as for Europe? Copy paste?

Concerning Volkswagen…they probably intended to show the outside world that a rather
‘unknown’ company for trucks (despite the short-mariage with MAN and VW-LT and medium)
is able to surprise with a new concept! VW did the same as said with cars…Ferdinand Piech
showed that VW is very much able and capable to produce for the niche market: Phaeton!!!

That they used internal (read Audi) knowledge and components is common sense and business.

To be continued…

DAF is in itself a survivor. To my mind it would be a pity if it were to be taken over. Robert

If the story turns out to be true and that Volkswagen buys out Paccar - does that mean that Scania will once again enter the USA / Canada truck market like they did back in the mid 80’s ■■. Interestingly there is a transport firm in Canada which runs Scania 142 and 143 trucks. Not quite so rare over there after all !! :smiley:

Suggest it “ends” for the time being in:

Group A…Volkswagen…and daughters (MAN, SCANIA, KENWORTH, PETERBILT, …)

Group B…Mercedes-Benz…and daughters (FREIGHTLINER, TATA, …)

Group C…Volvo… and daughters (WHITE, GM, …)

Group D…Renault/Mack

Group E…Iveco…and daughters (FORD, …)

where should DAF fit in the best? Iveco?

I don’t see much value in taking over Paccar without DAF. There are Kenworths sold with DAF cabs, and the DAF 13 litre engine is Paccar’s standard offering in the US (I think). The two firms are already well-integrated. Having just bought its Scania shares, can VW afford to buy something as big as Paccar? I foresee the following groups continuing:
VW/Scania/MAN
Volvo/Renault/Mack/White
Mercedes/Freightliner/Detroit
Paccar/DAF

The orphan is Iveco. Both it and DAF have old cabs. A more likely scenario may be a Paccar takeover of Iveco.

@Anorak…let’s proceed on your choice…assumption…bear in mind that VW is the richest company
with very smart holds in various companies, where a win-win is gained…think of moneymaker Porsche,
Audi…and then globally…

DAF introduced their new cabbed series, both XF and CF and LF…but as said it would be (same as MAN
would have for Volkswagen’s Constellation) a business case, which cab, which drive-line, where assembly,
so you might as well think of VW Constellation’s cab on a MAN some day…

Moreover, would Arthur Penske sell its DD-child? Everybody is keen on a thick wallet. Would Iveco die a
sober death being absorbed into Paccar’s group? We could discuss it from various angles…

White once was a very important global player on trucks, even in Europe, same for DAF with regard to
their trailers which they neglected all of a sudden, with some trials with Vors…but impossible to
piggy-back on the achievements of the Van Doorne Brothers and their inventions.