Your thoughts

Looks like he couldn’t strap it to the chassis as that stupid aerodynamic panel thingy is in the way .

scottie0011:

Jingle Jon:

scottie0011:
I’m only a thick lorry driver)

Please stop stating the obvious! It’s spoiling the internet.

Wow, such an obnoxious [zb] nugget, I’m glad I don’t work for you, I really couldn’t work for such an anally retentive person.

Another for my foes list.

Well sweet, you’re obviously the sensitive type, so just for you.

There are around 10 people per day killed on the roads in the U.K. Plus many more who receive life altering injuries. Just my opinion here, but this job is already dangerous enough… and trucknet is not the right place for training. People who are supposed to e professional drivers should only do work they are capable of doing safely.
I’ll always put people’s lives over pussyfooting around.

And also, van drivers who’s sole contribution to the haulage industry is zero… should not give out advice when they clearly do not know what they are talking about… re: load bearing curtains etc.

Sorry if that upsets you pet.

For me Dozy, I would have applied 4 ratchets straps, 2 facing one way and ,2 the other way, spread evenly over the load and secured to the underside of the bed.

Got to think like vosa do, and ask yourself, what if one of the straps fails!

pierrot 14:
Couple of thing, looking at the pic Doze has posted, I would have put the ratchet straps onto the chassis not where they are, I thought that was where they should be anyway, as per DVSA stipulation.

You never go to the chassis and DVSA have never stipulated that you do. The chock rails are more than plenty capable of bearing the load and strain, that is what they are designed for. I used to move 27 tonne loads made up of very large packs of chipboard that varied between 3 tonnes and 4.5 tonnes each. They were strapped to the chock rails and it was never an issue. If you strap to the chassis you provide another point that rubs through the straps and add to the amount that the load can move, as well as the fact it is harder to get them good and tight due to the fact you’re trying to do it with your arm shoved through the gap between the side crash bars and the chock rail.

Butcher:
For me Dozy, I would have applied 4 ratchets straps, 2 facing one way and ,2 the other way, spread evenly over the load and secured to the underside of the bed.

You only need three straps per stack and the ratchets should all be on the kerb side so if you need to stop and tighten them up you’re not doing it with you stood in or next to a live lane of traffic.

Butcher:

Conor, is right on this, although if it’s heavy mdf packs I use four, if it’s high I might use five - 2 straps to the low / mid and three over the top.

Ratchets should always be kerb side… where poss. There is no benefit at all from strapping / ratcheting from both sides… straps should be tight, if the timber moves while strapping - keep ratcheting till it stops… even if you have to release and wind again.

I use at least 2 ratchet straps per pack, timber moves very easy, best be safe than sorry

anything over 400kg plus has to be ratchet straps.depending on size of the packs 2 on small ones 4 on larger ones or more if even longer.plus if u can get to the chassis use that as the side rail on a curtain is not the best at al then bend most times when u tighten up a lot.its about time firms ordered these trls with proper side rails so u can secure loads properly and not worry about the strap popping off as u tight up and the hook come ing flying over top of the load and hittign u on the back of the head.

Hi peeps. Just saw this. And thought I would let you know. Jj. I done a shift at John Menzies. Where the load was ready to go. I looked inside the curtains and saw there was NO!!! Straps securing the load. So I enquired to the sub contractor aspray24. To which I was informed. That a driver took a similar load and got stopped. And had no straps on. And won his case in court. The haulier got the FINE… So explain?? Please

scottie0011:

I’m never quite sure wether to add them to my Foes List so I don’t have to read their banal crap or leave them be as the most annoying members can actually post the funniest read (although that probably isn’t their intention).

^^^^^^^ keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

Goodybhoy:
Hi peeps. Just saw this. And thought I would let you know. Jj. I done a shift at John Menzies. Where the load was ready to go. I looked inside the curtains and saw there was NO!!! Straps securing the load. So I enquired to the sub contractor aspray24. To which I was informed. That a driver took a similar load and got stopped. And had no straps on. And won his case in court. The haulier got the FINE… So explain?? Please

What would you like me to explain?

the maoster:

True - I just try to have neither then it saves me the hassle.

Goodybhoy:

I once had to pick up an empty trailer near Ripon and take it back to Wolseley in Worcester, I opened the curtain a bit to check inside what I’d been told was an empty trailer and found three 8’x4’ 3 sheets of black steel lay loose on top of a pallet, I told them in the office that unless they could find me some straps or chains I wouldn’t be taking it anywhere, the reply I got was that they’d sent steel sheets out like that before with no problems, obviously my reply was that I don’t care what other people do but I won’t be taking it like that under any circumstances.

The point is that some some people will tell you anything to get you to do what they want you to do, it’s commonly referred to as BS :wink:

tachograph:

Goodybhoy:

I once had to pick up an empty trailer near Ripon and take it back to Wolseley in Worcester, I opened the curtain a bit to check inside what I’d been told was an empty trailer and found three 8’x4’ 3 sheets of black steel lay loose on top of a pallet, I told them in the office that unless they could find me some straps or chains I wouldn’t be taking it anywhere, the reply I got was that they’d sent steel sheets out like that before with no problems, obviously my reply was that I don’t care what other people do but I won’t be taking it like that under any circumstances.

The point is that some some people will tell you anything to get you to do what they want you to do, it’s commonly referred to as BS :wink:

I thought he was asking why the court had decided to fine the haulier… or maybe if or not there are fairies at the bottom of his garden…

I once met an honest planner… :open_mouth: sorry… that’s up there with 'I’m calling the cops."

Stanley Knife:

the maoster:

True - I just try to have neither then it saves me the hassle.

He might have just read my post with his tone rather than mine. :unamused:

Can’t believe you’d even consider using internals on timber. Think this proves my point about Stobart drivers.

Jingle Jon:

the nodding donkey:
Stobarts trailers have load bearing curtains. You needn’t have bothered with ratches.

Load bearing curtains will NOT secure timber… it is not what they were designed for.

one of the most classic…WWWOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHH replies ive seen in a while…it didnt take long to have the bait taken… :unamused:

Stanley Knife:

scottie0011:

I’m never quite sure wether to add them to my Foes List so I don’t have to read their banal crap or leave them be as the most annoying members can actually post the funniest read (although that probably isn’t their intention).

The fact that I actually annoy certain pricks on here up, enough for them to respond to me, (or in one case always refer to me with an insult whether or NOT I post on a thread :open_mouth: now that is unique :laughing: ) is enough for me not to add them to my foes list. :bulb:

Well not until I get bored with it anyway. :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Jingle Jon:

the nodding donkey:
Stobarts trailers have load bearing curtains. You needn’t have bothered with ratches.

Load bearing curtains will NOT secure timber… it is not what they were designed for.

one of the most classic…WWWOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHH replies ive seen in a while…it didnt take long to have the bait taken… :unamused:

:grimacing: