Hello again + opinions wanted please

Hi all,

I’ve not been on here for a while for various reasons, I’d like to try and get back into the habit of dropping in here again though.

Anyway I’m having a few concerns at work and without going into too many details, I wonder what the general opinion of this load is.

It isn’t fully loaded yet (another big lift to go on, plus a couple of smallish bundles of timber).

The gap down the middle of the lifts on either side is because I’ll need to get strops in to crane it off. If I didn’t have to leave gaps I wouldn’t be so concerned. Right at the bottom on the drivers side is nice slidey MDF.

Sorry about the bad pictures.

i would put some spare stretchers ( 2x4 or any old bit of timber ) down between the stacks and use as many straps and ropes i could get me hands on
putting timbers down between the stacks allows go to strapit real tight an not have to worry about the gap closing
after a short distance stop and retighten al the straps do this again and again till you are real happy or out of working time
i used to move metal hoardings ( the solid temp fences ) and some of them were half panels allways found you can never have to much timber or to many straps

ANDYROO, have a look here HERE

ALSO can you get longerposts for the sides so that they are as high

as the load carried, and as regards the slippery wood get your

firm to get some of this stuff itis a reconised safety device and is

used,over here in germany daily when loading various goods,

GO on to the link,it is in english,and you will need look through

the mat decribed is one that reduces load movement ,

NEXT-LINK

what type of straps do you use,as there are straps that go up to 10tn strength

which makes the safety aspect better than one of lesser strength,

if you have any problems with the sites let us know ,

plus some others will come and put forward their tips as well later.

The anti slip mats look good, they’d never buy them for us though because… “We’ve never lost a load yet”.

I have got two holes in the middle of the bed that I can put my stanchions in, I sometimes use the two rear most ones from the sides. However most of the time the load goes higher (they wouldn’t buy longer stanchions either).

One big problem I have is that my load is never in one place I have to find it from all corners of the yard. Then try to work out the best way to get it all on without moving it all several times and not spend half the day loading either.

It took two hours for me and the sideloader driver to load it that far. I often have to load it myself and it’s taken well over 3 hours before. They then tell me I’m too slow.

I’m a little bit out of my depth at judging how best to cram it all on and still be able to crane it off, but as soon as I show any sign of not being able to do it I’m made to feel stupid. I usually make it as safe as I can with all the straps I’ve got, but then it takes ages to un-strap and re-strap at each drop and they tell me I’m taking too long over the deliveries, then if it rains I have to sheet and un-sheet too.

I’m fighting a loosing battle with this firm and desperatly looking for another job. They just do things on the cheap and there are too many old hands who say “we’ve always done it like this and it’s always been ok”.

Andyroo:
The gap down the middle of the lifts on either side is because I’ll need to get strops in to crane it off. If I didn’t have to leave gaps I wouldn’t be so concerned. Right at the bottom on the drivers side is nice slidey MDF.

Put the straps/slings on when you have one side loaded and then put straps/sling down on other side and next stack ontop of the straps, push all tohether. No gaps and your timber is sitting ready to lift off on top of the straps when you are ready. Also, you will not need to have it sitting on chocs.

get thebosses to look at this post and to try looking at the whole site
HERE
AS THEY WILL BE HELD TO ACCOUNT and not only you
if some thing does happen,

also tell them to try looking at it this way,it is cheaper
to put money in to the safety aspect,than ito have to go to court
when the load falls off and cause mayhem and injuries
and then the costs of the recovery,

take alook at the useful sites posts there is a few links

about load restrainant here as well,

by the way check your straps if they are damaged in any way
or missing the blue safety strip ,they are not any good any more,

Mike-C:

Andyroo:

Put the straps/slings on when you have one side loaded and then put straps/sling down on other side and next stack ontop of the straps, push all tohether. No gaps and your timber is sitting ready to lift off on top of the straps when you are ready. Also, you will not need to have it sitting on chocs.

I’ve only got two lifting strops. :frowning:

brit pete:
get thebosses to look at this post and to try looking at the whole site
HERE
AS THEY WILL BE HELD TO ACCOUNT and not only you
if some thing does happen,

also tell them to try looking at it this way,it is cheaper
to put money in to the safety aspect,than ito have to go to court
when the load falls off and cause mayhem and injuries
and then the costs of the recovery,

take alook at the useful sites posts there is a few links

about load restrainant here as well,

by the way check your straps if they are damaged in any way
or missing the blue safety strip ,they are not any good any more,

Pete all your advice is spot on, but the thing is I’ve been through all this with the firm and basicly been told I know nothing, I should get on with it and speed up while I’m at it.

I think I’m just kinda posting this here to see if I’m being unreasonable and they are right or not. Because I want my load as near to perfect as possible I’ve been called “pedantic” by the management.

I’m sure what they ask me to take could be loaded safely no problem, but it would take half the day to load and they don’t allow me that time.

ANDYROO rright mate how much does the job mean to you

why because your employer(s) IS a grade one pillock and

i would look else where for a new employment if you can.

because if some thing does happen you will get it first

and the laws are well enforced in the UK as you know,

DO you know any one who drives papier rolls as may be

they can give you some strips of the anti–skid matting

which they should be useing , it will help you,but it is

a bloody shame that your firm is so ignorant and stupid

if you can get a better job mate.

I’ve got three applications for jobs pending, I’m desperate to leave.

There are people who work there who make my life a misery, but the management thinks highly of them and little of me. The management doesn’t see what goes on when they aren’t looking though.

What’s more important to you, doing this dead beat company favours, or holding on to your license?

Golden rule when strapping timber, put on more than you think it needs then add some. If its MDF its got to be up against the headboard.

If the load is reasonably local it would be safer, and probably quicker, to split it.

Gordy:
What’s more important to you, doing this dead beat company favours, or holding on to your license?

My licence, but paying the bills until I find something else (not easy round here) is a big factor.

I’m more worried about my neck than my licence, when I have to clamber over the top of it all to strop it up and/or get the tilt on. I don’t really know where I stand on the height of the load, they only worry about the weight limits…I’m just scared I’ll fall 12-13 feet to the ground one day.

I haven’t mentioned that this load is going down some of the tightest, bumpiest roads Norfolk has to offer.

Anyone who’s ever driven down the road from Potter Heigham to Hoveton and then on towards Coltishall will know how bad it is.

I’m sorry for all the moaning I’m doing…I’m just at a loss as to what I should do!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: not that I would suggest you do anything intentionly illegal . I wonder what the managements opinion would be if perhaps on the way out of the depot with a load you had made a point of complaining about. You cornered a bit harsh and it slid off…luckily for you of course your licence would be safe as you were not on the “queens highway”. It may however prompt a visit from the health and safety boys. Imagine how ironic it would be if it slipped onto the office staffs cars… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Or blocked the gate at say oooo I don’t know about quitting time… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: Accidents do happen… :wink:

Martin:
Golden rule when strapping timber, put on more than you think it needs then add some. If its MDF its got to be up against the headboard.

If the load is reasonably local it would be safer, and probably quicker, to split it.

It’s impossible to put the MDF against the headboard because of the long lengths that need to go on top, even if you split it into two piles one behind the other. Once you put the weight of the other goods on top it would probably overload the front axle by being so far forward. I’ve got the added weight of the Hiab at the front as well you see. Front axle is only 5 tonne odd.

As for splitting it, I agree, however the firm don’t!

I forgot to say !! ther is no way i would move out of a yard with that load. I’m amazed it stays on. Just put your foot down with them. Load it as high as you feel safe to do, and insist , no more. Sometimes there’s no better impetus to get another job than to not have one. As long as you let them, they’ll treat you like that. Just go in with a different head on . If they tried to sack you for refusing to take a load out, i’m certain the HSE or someone else would back you up after looking at them photos. If you do fall off that lot then you won’t have a leg to stand on (pardon the pun) as you loaded it.

Mike-C:
I forgot to say !! ther is no way i would move out of a yard with that load. I’m amazed it stays on. Just put your foot down with them. Load it as high as you feel safe to do, and insist , no more. Sometimes there’s no better impetus to get another job than to not have one. As long as you let them, they’ll treat you like that. Just go in with a different head on . If they tried to sack you for refusing to take a load out, i’m certain the HSE or someone else would back you up after looking at them photos. If you do fall off that lot then you won’t have a leg to stand on (pardon the pun) as you loaded it.

Well as I’m ill today, I’m considering my options.

I’ve took a ■■■■ site more than that out in the past and to be fair I’ve managed it without anything moving on me, the main problem I have more than driving with it is actually getting it off when I get to the drops.

They’ve got a couple of people in the yard with HGV licences who are company men through and through and the trouble is they get taken more notice of than me. If these two say it’s ok and they’d drive it I get made to feel stupid. I just think they are doing things you could get away with in the past maybe, but not nowadays. These other blokes have been there so long they’ve never worked anywhere else and don’t know any different.

A friend of mine works out of the Norwich branch, he’s also looking to move on because of the way he is being treated.

Back to your problem, when I was doing something similar, if neccessary I would get half the vehicle loaded ( both sides) then put some spare bearers between each half ( upright ) This enables you to have a “solid object” in effect , but can still get slings underneath and round each half when needed. Strap it down, then load the rest ( using bearers between each half again), secure as needed.

If you have planned the load right you only have to undo half the load, so hopefully making the job a little easier.

After I was loaded and out on the road, I would stop after a few miles, and re-secure the load ( Nothing like a good shakedown on high quality Norfolk roads :wink: )
Also used to have a long metal hook for getting slings round a bundle

As far as refusing to take a load out coz you think its unsafe, epecially if you have photographic evidence, if told to take it out or else, then ask TM to sign something saying you think its unsafe, but he is over-ruling you. (bet you a pound to a penny he won’t sign :sunglasses: ) Then tell him if he don’t sign you don’t go.

Twice this happened to me, and both times I stood my ground, one unhappy TM, but nothing he could do about it.

Its not his license at risk, nor is it his conscience(sp) that would be troubled if a lost load hurt/killed someone.

Good luck with it :sunglasses:

I have a feeling they’d sack me on the spot if I refused to take the lorry out.

As I say they have cover for the lorry in the yard and those two drivers are proper boot lickers!

Thanks for all the loading advice from everybody it’s far better advice than I’ve ever got from the firm.

Andyroo:
I’ve took a ■■■■ site more than that out in the past and to be fair I’ve managed it without anything moving on me, the main problem I have more than driving with it is actually getting it off when I get to the drops.

The thing is, it may be safe under normal driving conditions, but what if a kid runs out and you have to stop suddenly? how much of it will then come sliding forward and off the front etc? It has been a while since I did any of your sort of work, but there is no way in hell I would have taken that load out.