Load of Timber, Help advice wanted

Hi i am picking up a load of timber tomorrow did it on monday to problems I had were

• Getting straps over the timber and under roof not much room to play with and no lift up from forkies (taught liner trailer) but got there eventually
  • Timber comes off one side at a time with me having to go on path so traffic can flow (busy little road), also the angle of the yard entrance slopes downhill.
  • After one side is done its a very slow manoeuvre to turn the motor around half the timber unstrapped on one side straps already off
  • have to move off kerb (squeaky bum time) only place i can turn is to put my head up a weight restriction street, reverse back and get the other side tipped of course the forkie says he is not allowed on the street “h&s” (my arse) to keep cars at bay, b’stard of a drop, welcome to hgv driving.

Would you guys do anything different to make life a bit easier?

Once it’s unstrapped it comes off, customers problem not mine, longer forks will solve the problem.

Not a lot you can do about tipping it.
As for getting the straps over all I can say is that I used to climb up there and …manage. Not easy sometimes but I always did it. Lost some skin sometimes and a good deal of sweat though.

If the timber is quite tight against the roof, get forky to load base 1st so that you can stand on base layer and undersling your straps on the inside of roof and put a rolled up part of each ■■■■■■■■ top of roof and when loaded using a piece of long wood pull each strap down and it’s just strap up and go.
when at delivery and you’ve got to tip 1 side and turn the best thing to do is to tip the side that has your ratchets on first.
undo ratchets but don’t remove straps as you can then re strap until you’ve turned.
seen a driver years ago in London move with an unstraped load after tipping 1 side and the whole lot came through the curtain. not a pretty site.

waddy640:
Once it’s unstrapped it comes off, customers problem not mine, longer forks will solve the problem.

They don’t have longer forks, i cant get in there yard due to lack of space

Quackers:
Not a lot you can do about tipping it.
As for getting the straps over all I can say is that I used to climb up there and …manage. Not easy sometimes but I always did it. Lost some skin sometimes and a good deal of sweat though.

Yep…managed too although my technique was to climb up and put over straps over the 4 packs and slide each strap along to desired point was not ideal but managed.

good tips there lizard will put into practice tomorrow :slight_smile:

ignore the smart arse that says it’s not his problem, half the clever dicks on here only back onto bays and have never had a hard tip in their life!

as above, try and tip your ratchet side first, and take all your straps up and slide them as and when, no point in climbing up more than once. I’ve seen someone using a broom handle and taping the ends of the straps to it, easier to push through a small gap. but don’t throw them through incase it falls and hits someone.

ask the forkie driver about turning, there may be an easier way if you go right out a few streets and use a roundabout or a couple of roads to turn and approach from the other side. (Ordnance Survey maps are a dream).

also, don’t fall out with the forklift driver. chances are it’s an idiot delivery man that has cause problems once and now we are all tarred with the same brush and he has H+S coming out his arse. if you fall foul of him that’s a lot to hand ball off!

stuartrobbie:
ignore the smart arse that says it’s not his problem, half the clever dicks on here only back onto bays and have never had a hard tip in their life!

as above, try and tip your ratchet side first, and take all your straps up and slide them as and when, no point in climbing up more than once. I’ve seen someone using a broom handle and taping the ends of the straps to it, easier to push through a small gap. but don’t throw them through incase it falls and hits someone.

ask the forkie driver about turning, there may be an easier way if you go right out a few streets and use a roundabout or a couple of roads to turn and approach from the other side. (Ordnance Survey maps are a dream).

also, don’t fall out with the forklift driver. chances are it’s an idiot delivery man that has cause problems once and now we are all tarred with the same brush and he has H+S coming out his arse. if you fall foul of him that’s a lot to hand ball off!

I’m not sure I agree. It’s a problem falling out with customers, who might go elsewhere, but if they were as serious about H&S, as they make out, with premises like that they would buy the right machine for the job and get a telescopic mast forklift that will tip it all from one side rather than expecting deliver drivers to execute a manoeuvre that it doesn’t sound like an exagerration that injury to a passerby could result.

good point. if I ever have a drop like the original poster has I’ve usually found it to be a smaller family run business so I try and do what I can to help (and to just get on my way).

But never thought, usually wee family firms aren’t that H+S mad! i suppose if every driver refused to turn they would eventually need longer forks at least

kaode:

It works for me. hope it all works out for you

lizard:

kaode:

It works for me. hope it all works out for you

Not as much as me lol, tbh the forkie was ok he did mention they don’t get much curtainsider’s usually flatbeds,
i never fell out with him or the bus driver who came to see why i was blocking him or the bint who was a few cars behind bus driver and says i was very inconsiderate for parking where i had, i calmly explained that there is unstrapped timber coming off and i would be as quick and as safe as i possibly can, i mean i did not want to block the road but no way was i mounting the kerb with the unstrapped timber.
Anyway life goes on as said i will put tips to test tomorrow, quite looking forward to it now thanks everyone :slight_smile:

If the forkie and the company are that H&S turn it round on them and tell em your not moving with an un strapped load.
If you lost the load first thing the rozzers or council etc would say is " your driving an un strapped load why exactly? ".
“Coz I have to” aint cutting it.

As said if it doesn’t come off in 1 your not moving un strapped ■■■■ sure I wouldnt its not your fault the drops a pig but its your licence.

kaode:
Would you guys do anything different to make life a bit easier?

Yes.

Put front stacks on first and bottom packs on back. Climb on packs at back and put your straps over the front pack. Drop the trailer, drive the unit alongside the wagon and use the catwalk to stand on to do the rest. Makes throwing the straps over easier and better than trying to hang off the side of the trailer holding on to the roof support bar. Rest of it is pretty much how it goes.

stuartrobbie:

It’s the smartarses that drive with insecure loads that cause the problems. If you are running a business then you have to have the correct equipment to do the job, and not expect other people to take risks on your behalf.

I am all for getting the job done and helping the customer out but risking a charge of manslaughter if the load fell off and killed someone is not part of it.

Been there done that got the T shirt that says Arse Twitching in progress…

In todays society your asking for a ■■■■■■■ from the powers that be if your caught doing what your doing.

kaode:" Not as much as me lol, tbh the forkie was ok he did mention they don’t get much curtainsider’s usually flatbeds",

what difference in making the delivery does that make ■■ flat or curtain you still need to make a dodgy turn to unload …
the customer needs to sort his place out or restrict it to having smaller size vehicles delivering …

Oh the other thing is shock horror we’ll lose the job … whoopee do if more drivers looked up and said NO the company your delivering to would have 2 choices …

1. Stop trading
  2. sort their act out and get equipment that can do the job properly or sort out their yard to allow access for the delivery …

Hiya…maybe in time to come there’ll be more fork trucks like the JCB idea with the telescopic boom.
i had a go on one years ago you could load and tip from one side dead easy,there,s no mast so you get
a good clear view, its getting companies to change is the problem…Clark used to do a fork truck with a
concertina mechanism on the mast that would reach right across the deck i,ve not seen one of them for
years, keep up the good work
John

JCB Telehandler is the answer and some places I have delivered use them. Ride over rough, ground forks can be moved every which way.

We have to have the right equipment to do our job so customers need to do the same.

A few customers I wish I could unload like this too :smiling_imp: