Ratchet straps it or internal straps

Loaded this morning at grimsby dock full load timber nice compact tight load used internal Trailer straps tipped 3 1/2 hrs later kings norton j 3 m 42 load did not move an inch safe or not ? I have done loads of these loads down the years always use internal straps never had a problem ?

You must have strapped it really well if you can turn your truck on its side and the load doesn’t even fall out!:cool:

The slightest load on them will either pull the straps out the runners or pull the rails off the roof. Timber like that would be better with a ■■■■■■■■ the chassis beam over and on to the chassis beam the other side.

Used to do a lot of timber like that on my last job always used ratchets and straps for it don’t think I would trust the internals if it were to move quickly or with any force.

On timber I would always use ratchets.
I only use the internals for light pallets that I think are going to fall over on each other.

Ratchets for loads like this every time…and if there’s any wobbleness between the packs
I would strap lower first,then over the top second, 2 per pack.

Internals are good for boxes of crisps or paper napkins.Not much else.

as all have said above using internals on that lot is like using cotton thread to tow a car…if you look at the internal rail its prob got a rivet or self tapper every 3ft holding it to the roof

Got to be ratchets…some places like Kronospan wont let you leave unless its been ratcheted

redbob:
Got to be ratchets…some places like Kronospan wont let you leave unless its been ratcheted

You only have to look at the trailer, the straps are fastened to a longitudinal pole in the roof, what is holding the roof up? Yeah, 2 flimsy pillars either side that you can twist by hand :open_mouth:

Ratchets for me. Internals are only any good to stop palletised loads moving. Granted the stuff is unlikely to shift of its own accord, but I wouldn’t like your chances of keeping the motor upright had you needed to swerve around something unexpectedly

You may as well not bother & ginger it than use the internals on a load like that.

I’d ratchet timber every time, wouldn’t take long & I’m the guy that usually doesn’t bother to strap stuff & hates unnecessary strapping.

Just shows how attitudes and working practices change over the yrs.In the 70s I was hauling loads similar to the one shown twice a week off s/Williams at tilbury up north to Manchester area on ropes,nowt clever just the way it was done.Never had one move.Had similar loads off Newport timber berth as well.
regards dave.

dafdave:
Just shows how attitudes and working practices change over the yrs.In the 70s I was hauling loads similar to the one shown twice a week off s/Williams at tilbury up north to Manchester area on ropes,nowt clever just the way it was done.Never had one move.Had similar loads off Newport timber berth as well.
regards dave.

I still say roping and sheeting was more secure than 13 or 14 spansets, you only have to look at some of the loads roped on in Bewicks yard and the amount you see spilled onto the M25 now.

Properly roped that load would have been far more secure than it is with the internal straps.

Wheel Nut:

dafdave:
regards dave.

I still say roping and sheeting was more secure than 13 or 14 spansets, you only have to look at some of the loads roped on in Bewicks yard and the amount you see spilled onto the M25 now.

Yea but the speed has increased a lot since ropes were used. I always reckon that with something like timber or loads of steel, I could put it on a flat trailer and get it where it is going with nothing tying it down. Nice and smooth, easy does it. The problem with that is when granny pulls out in front of you or a kid runs out for his ball, what happens the load then?
I would love to be able to rope and sheet, it really is a lost art. But be honest, curtainsiders and straps are so much easier and quicker and just as safe. Internal straps shouldn’t even be fitted. Waste of time. The curtain would hold in just as much as they would

Was having this discussion today! Got to be ratchets. As far as restraining the load, you are stopping sideways movement but the headboard alone cannot be relied on for restraining forward movement. All loads should be ratchets, even though you and I know that is not practical. If you got a know it all VOSA he would do you on the spot!

The trouble with ropes is they’re only as reliable as the idiot using them :wink: Ratchets are almost idiot proof :bulb:

damoq:
You must have strapped it really well if you can turn your truck on its side and the load doesn’t even fall out!:cool:

Did you speak too soon !

I’ll admit to having done that when I didn’t use three straps on each stack. Load moved and cut through a strap. Went round a corner and saw the bulge of doom. Got to the delivery point, opened up and ended up with that on the floor.

Ropes would be ok, vosa don’t like them, you can buy load rated rope now they can’t moan about.