How high can you stack a load of timber?

Was loading sawn timber earlier. The stacks were various lengths and heights and ranged from just over 2 tons per stack to the lowest weight being about 1200kg.

I loaded all the heaviest ones on the trailer bed with my plan to put the rest on top. As it happened my trailer was too low to add a third stack which I was quite happy about as I didn’t know if I should or not. The double stacking was fine and I was happy with that all ratchet strapped down, but If I had a higher trailer there would have been room for the third stack to get the last couple on. Would it have been safe to but an extra couple of stacks weighing about 1.2 to 1.5 tons each on top? For future reference.

I have 3 stacks on my rigid but that’s a curtain sider and is 14ft heigh plus a use a pull through and strap second level and oppose the ratchets as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was a 15ft and the third stack wouldn’t go on. One of our 15’10s would have been ok but I’d have been concerned that it would be too high to be safe ie for cornering stability etc

Rowley010:
This was a 15ft and the third stack wouldn’t go on. One of our 15’10s would have been ok but I’d have been concerned that it would be too high to be safe ie for cornering stability etc

I would reckon so I hate having 3 in my truck at my height but 15ft 10 that’s scary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but like with hay and straw or max height empty pallets just don’t drive like a ■■■■.

As long as the skids and straps are set correctly (and you have enough straps on), you should be fine.

When I was on timber, if it was stacked high I made sure that the straps were secured on the chassis. All ratchets on the near side, and carry a piece of 2"x1" about a foot long. Stick it in the ratchet as a lever and you will get a really decent purchase on the corner protectors which should clamp it nicely.

Making sure the packs are pushed together helps too!

Are you any good at Jenga? :open_mouth:

Our loads are 4 metres high and no straps needed …

A tiny bit lower than this one

tango boy:
Making sure the packs are pushed together helps too!

But only at the top. At the bottom you want them spaced apart.

Course you don’t. All pushed together and as long as the widest and heaviest is on the bottom, all’s well. If the bottom ones are apart, you can still have them move if something happens. Much less chance if every thing’s together.

It’s not stacking the timber high, it’s going around roundabouts the same speed as the straight that is the problem. If the packs are equal sizes put some tie bearers across between the packs , but remember to tell them what you have done where your delivering to. As said 2 straps one way and 3 rd one the opposite way and if possible get a strap over half way up the load as well. :smiley:

We get loaded depending on the drop location(s). Pack weights doesn’t come into it as the differences on a full load is nothing so you never notice anything being top heavy.
Weight will defeat height usually.

As for strapping, no need to go overboard, one every 1.5 to 2m depending on packs. No need to strap between the packs or alternate between sides and no need for protectors unless its chipboard or the customer / loader requests it that way.