You lads were right

dieseldog999:
your doing the right thing.
taliban flipflop have the monopoly in the uk for blindside sideswipes like that.
unless your driving a lhd then theres absolutely no excuse to be so careless and incompetent,it would be even worse than taking the lid off with a low bridge.
your doing the best thing by jacking it in pronto.
go back to fiddling with radios or flying a plane.
mabey you could get a shift with your pal as a 2nd man vanboy as i dont think he is best best mates with the one he has just now?..think of the children

If you’re going to troll, at least make an effort.

Reef:
_

That video is propaganda bullshine, ok so it may be for the right reasons but it’s still bullshine…

The camera is using an unrealistic fixed reference point (unless of course you are 3ft tall or your eyes are located between your ■■■■■■■ and your belly button) whereas any driver worth the ink on his licence moves his eyes, head and body if necessary to see the bigger picture and a hell of a lot less of a blindspot.

‘less of a blind spot’ that i agree with, no blind spot i dont agree with.

BTW: I am 3ft tall with eyes between my ■■■■■■■ and take offence at your comments!

Bluey Circles:

123smith:

Juddian:
Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors…

I don’t agree with that statement

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

I thought that 20 year old Foden with the dwarf driver only existed on cycling forums, jeez, it’s in here now :frowning:

Rightfully so given the context of the discussion.

Punchy Dan:

pig pen:
There is quite a few comments about the blind spot on the near side, but sammym was moving to the right, to turn right at a round about, unless I’ve misread?
It might be worth trying a shift or two again, even if you decide to give up, you wont have what if nagging at the back of your mind.

I thought he was in Rhl and was returning to left ,I find to keep an eye ont step mirror when returning left works for me .

I got the impression he had moved from lane 2 to lane 3 - he did say he was turning right. Maybe I misunderstood.

123smith:

Juddian:
Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors…

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

You may not agree with it, but that video you put up features a 1999 foden, with no front mirror above the screen, the camera operator for some reason doesnt show you the kerbside mirror and the bottom convex mirror shows more of the door than anything else. Where as, as juddian said, a modern lorry with the standard fitted 6 mirrors, which will all be electric so you can adjust if needs must, this video just shows you 2 mirrors. That video is just a load of ■■■■■■ As with anything to do with lorries and educating the public, is done half heartedly

Having looked at that video a good driver would get most of those pyscholists in one fell swoop :slight_smile:

Sammym - if it helps, one of our drivers done near the same a month ago on the m5, and he has been driving for 10 or more years. I have seen your other posts and it does seem like you had the crap end of it, like when you got turned for your diesel in south mimms whilst on break, but i wouldnt give it all up and start relying on your mrs to pay the bills. Try getting off the agency for a start, i couldn’t stand waiting to see if i got work the next day, surely that must ■■■■ you about for plans. Apply for a few companies doing alsorts of work, mix it up a bit and see what you enjoy. There is other work out there rather than delivering to tesco stores, If supermarkets are your thing then try for the better ones, asda, morrisons, sainsbury’s. Jacking it in because you had a few accidents just seems stupid and a waste.

I got failed on an assessment for approaching a roundabout in the RHL to take the 3 O’clock exit, and then not moving to the middle of three lanes entering the roundabout. (I stayed hugging the center of the roundabout, as I went past the 9 and 12 o’clock exits)

I guess an incident such as OP describes - explains why my age-old approach is now considered a “fail”.

The highway code has apparently been updated to reflect the change on “roundabout rules”, which as a pro driver - I am supposed to keep abreast of.
I hadn’t done so, so I had to re-assess this time doing it the new way I was told. :blush:

What you talk about is not a new thing Winseer. It may be newish in the HC but it all started when box trailers were introduced for tests.

The problem is a lot of drivers are probably unaware of what can go wrong when turning right at a roundabout as you did in your assessment.

The problem is in an articulated vehicle unless you have a specific mirror correctly adjusted you have a blind spot when you need to move back to the left to exit.

jakethesnake:
What you talk about is not a new thing Winseer. It may be newish in the HC but it all started when box trailers were introduced for tests.

The problem is a lot of drivers are probably unaware of what can go wrong when turning right at a roundabout as you did in your assessment.

The problem is in an articulated vehicle unless you have a specific mirror correctly adjusted you have a blind spot when you need to move back to the left to exit.

We are off the originally described incident, but can any mirror, however adjusted, cover the outside of a trailer when on a turn?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:
I did this…

Back in the office and stood on the carpet, I apologised profusely and tendered my resignation, and my boss, Neil, said “What’s the matter, lost your bottle have you?” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’d said “I’ll do anything not to be sacked boss” - he would have probably cut your pay at that point. Nice move - offering to fall on your sword! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

[…its bloody horrible going to different companies every day, its bad enough when you’ve been driving for ever its a nightmare for a fairly new driver, you need some routine.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he will be getting a new routine…
every tuesday fortnight itl be…“have you done any work paid or unpaid since your last signing…followed by jeremy kyle,loose women,homes under the hammer,cash in the attic” :slight_smile:

Winseer:
I got failed on an assessment for approaching a roundabout in the RHL to take the 3 O’clock exit, and then not moving to the middle of three lanes entering the roundabout. (I stayed hugging the center of the roundabout, as I went past the 9 and 12 o’clock exits)

I guess an incident such as OP describes - explains why my age-old approach is now considered a “fail”.

The highway code has apparently been updated to reflect the change on “roundabout rules”, which as a pro driver - I am supposed to keep abreast of.
I hadn’t done so, so I had to re-assess this time doing it the new way I was told. :blush:

Can’t find anything on this new way as you put it, anyone got a link to this info?

dieseldog999:
[…its bloody horrible going to different companies every day, its bad enough when you’ve been driving for ever its a nightmare for a fairly new driver, you need some routine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he will be getting a new routine…
every tuesday fortnight itl be…“have you done any work paid or unpaid since your last signing…followed by jeremy kyle,loose women,homes under the hammer,cash in the attic” :slight_smile:
[/quote]
It’s not like that any more…you have to take in at least 100 fresh job applications that you have made since the last appointment.

Most people find it easier to get a job… :smiley:

Really do you know anyone that’s got a job through the job centre.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors.

Really? The higher the cab the more likely there is a blind spot to the left. Have you not seen the videos done on Youtube by the various road safety bodies showing the blind spots of a modern lorry fitted with 6 correctly adjusted mirrors?

Here you go, from the British Safety Council:

youtube.com/watch?v=lV-rhiGRFTE

There’s also another involving using a rigid tipper wagon.

Thanks Conor, that video proves my point absolutely, mirrors set by half wit, small so called wide angle mirror set too high showing almost all the trailer body and too far in, a good half of the horizontal perspective is providing a view of the ns door.
Large mirror you can almost (if they’d used a camera which cost more than a quid, or wiped the snot off the lens) see the front leading edge of the trailer and it too is set too far in.
Note the kerbside down mirror isn’t in shot, no doubt that gives a good view of the rest of the passenger door the wide angle mirror missed, and i can see no windscreen down mirror at all.

It would have helped if the camera had been used at eye level of a normal person.

Lastly, what is a fork truck steering wheel knob doing there in pride of place, one of those has no place on the wheel of a lorry, and that totally useless piece of blurred propaganda is supposed to be a video promoting safety :unamused:

123smith:

Juddian:

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

Ah same video as the one linked by Conor, answer as above.

Harry Monk:
I did this…

Back in the office and stood on the carpet, I apologised profusely and tendered my resignation, and my boss, Neil, said “What’s the matter, lost your bottle have you?” :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the same tipping a lorry over but my boss reckoned I was the safest now as you never hear of anyone doing it twice. He was right my internal pendulum is very sensitive now on any corners or roundabouts.

123smith:

Juddian:

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

I agree with Juddian. The truck in that video is old, with no front mirror and HORRENDOUSLY badly adjusted mirrors. The mirrors on passenger side are mostly taken up with the side of the cab! Pointless video