Eye Opener

Now I know a lot of the old school lads and ladies have see some crazy accidents etc.
But with what happened early Saturday morning accident,has this changed your approach?

I work nights and work the weekends and it’s made me think twice I was always looking ahead prior to this but I do it a bit more now.

I’m 30 and been driving artics 4 yr.A year younger than the aim driver and I’ve thought to my self could I Handel the hell fire that’s enroute to him?..I don’t think I could.

Anybody else felt the same?

Certainly gives you a wake up call. I was leaving a bigger than usual gap today, probably the 4 second rule applies more. Our gaffer said we are paid on an hourly rate so knock our motorway speeds down to 52. I followed this to the letter.

Simple answer NO. If you allow yourself to be paralysed by fear, or second guess your every action then quite simply you no longer have any quality of life. That’s not to say that we shouldn’t be careful and not behave in a reckless manner of course, but like everything in life you have to strike a happy medium . Now, where’s Doris Stokes’s when you need her?

in a word.no.
why change your normal driving habits because of a crash that has nothing to do with you?
when your clocks going to get punched,then it will be duly punched irrespective of what your doing.
you only think you couldnt handle the flak that the aim driver is about to get fired at him because its not coming your way.if your even in an unfortunate position that it does,then itl be in a different perspective,take it on the chin and get on with it till its behind you.the aim dude has no option but to weather the storm.

If this, or any other incident, makes you think that you could get involved in a similar collision then yes, you should be changing your driving style as you know that there is something not quite right with what you’re doing at present. The further you can see up the road the better, can never understand those that will drive a few feet behind another HGV, relying on the driver ahead to do your seeing and thinking for you.

A thought for those that regularly drive at full whack on old A roads and worse, would you like to meet yourself coming the other way on the next bend?

Familiarity breeds contempt, you get lulled into a false sense of security until something terrible like this happens. I have had 3 wake up calls this week, not my doing but there for the grace of god an all that.

I haven’t altered my driving but I saw a broken down car on the M6 today in the middle of the roadworks so it was in a live lane, normally I won’t give it a second thought but I thought it best to give plod a call before somebody ran up the back of it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

UKtramp:
Familiarity breeds contempt, you get lulled into a false sense of security until something terrible like this happens. I have had 3 wake up calls this week, not my doing but there for the grace of god an all that.

Very wise words, and what most of us think, daily.

Not sure if its changed my driving, firstly, despite the “experts” on here entering post after post arguing about what happened, only a few people really know what happened there on Saturday morning and as far as I know they don’t post it on here.

Secondly, I’ve never believed it can’t happen to me, so I try and drive accordingly, I’ve been in many situations over the years where I’ve seen a vehicle stationary on the motorway and was unsure if it was on the hard shoulder or live lane, the last time being last week, so I always try and move over to give myself a bit of space and I’m also ready to back off to allow another vehicle to switch lanes.

However I don’t think I’m perfect, I make mistakes and as I said earlier none of us on here know exactly what happened on Saturday, so I can’t say that if I’d been there I wouldn’t have been involved in this horrific incident.

Ive not changed my driving no point you cant avoid every dafty on the road and if you live in fear it will get you sooner rather than later.

Altering your driving is hardly living in fear, I think it is just about being made more aware through these incidents just how easy it is to get into these problems.

No, I I had to change habits after every report if an accident I wouldn’t leave the depot. People DO die on the roads, its a fact, accidents do happen…also a fact but we can’t go around being paranoid about it every time something happens, can only go out and do the job best we can and get home …too many variables to what “might” or " might not" happen

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Andy Pandy:
I haven’t altered my driving but I saw a broken down car on the M6 today in the middle of the roadworks so it was in a live lane, normally I won’t give it a second thought but I thought it best to give plod a call before somebody ran up the back of it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Similar to you today, saw 2 people walking down motorway so gave 101 a call.

Nope I still plod on

but coming down from MK via the A421 FedEx didn’t once try to pass me on standing way or anywhere till we got over the M40 onto the A34 .
Didn’t crowd me show me the one light nothing , just sat behind with a bit of distance until the A34 :open_mouth: