Back on the Artics

I joined this Forum some months back when I was considering a return not only to the UK, but a return to Driving. I asked what my chances were of finding a job at the age of 53 and after an absence of 10 years of driving artics, to which the replies were not only positive, but helpful as well.

So, where did I get?

I found a job after only one week of searching and am now doing general haulage, for a fair wage, for a decent company and I couldn’t ask for more. As to the driving itself, my 2 worries were driving on the “wrong side of the road” - yes, I was actually concerned about driving a right hand vehicle and driving on the left - secondly, whether I had lost the knack of reversing. On both accounts I needn’t had worried. Indeed, I had about 10 days initially on a rigid and I had trouble reversing that as I automatically reacted at those I was in an articulated vehicle :unamused:

Although my choice to return to the UK and drive was driven (pun not really intended) by financial needs, I am glad I made it and I have gained satisfaction not only in achieving what I set out to do, but also in being able to be a Professional Driver again.

May I say thanks to all those who replied to my original Post where I asked what my chances were. You were all right.

Regards,

Glad you found a decent job :slight_smile:
With a username like yours, should’nt you be joining in with another debate on here :wink: :wink: :laughing:

Glad you found a good job,hope it goes well for you and the enjoyment factor stays alive. i still love driving despite all the hassle from elsewhere.

As a another refugee from Spain and a similiar age, I understand …
the Spanish don’t like sharing their work with us …

doubledeclutch:
May I say thanks to all those who replied to my original Post where I asked what my chances were. You were all right.

Regards,

You’re welcome. As I said in my reply, the average age of a lorry driver in the UK is just below 60 so you’re a young un.

Glad you’ve dropped on a good job.