You lads were right

dieseldog999:
your doing the right thing.
taliban flipflop have the monopoly in the uk for blindside sideswipes like that.
unless your driving a lhd then theres absolutely no excuse to be so careless and incompetent,it would be even worse than taking the lid off with a low bridge.
your doing the best thing by jacking it in pronto.
go back to fiddling with radios or flying a plane.
mabey you could get a shift with your pal as a 2nd man vanboy as i dont think he is best best mates with the one he has just now?..think of the children

I think you’re supposed to be sympathetic [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back to the tills it is then ?

I say it’s a big man who can admit his faults. None of us are perfect and yes, accidents do happen. But fair play for having a go.

sent using smoke signals

Beetlejuice:

Aye mate. Something like that. I quit the PhD as I didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t for me. And now I need to find something I want to do. As it stands I consider myself ‘unemployed’. The problem with driving was I started to hate it - but I didn’t have the drive to find something else. So this has given me the kick up the bum. When I say hate it - I mean the type of work I was doing. Supermarket fridge deliveries, shift work and a text each day with wildly different start times.

I’ll sort something out. I have a bit of savings so I’ll be alright. I’m still relatively young (under 30) so there is no point in my continuing doing something I both don’t enjoy nor am I particularly good at. My partner is a higher earner than I’d ever be driving a truck and is very supportive. She’s agreed to cover the bills for a while until I find something that makes me happy.

The kicker here is I will undoubtedly take a significant pay cut. I’ll be starting out again. I’m okay with that. I’ll get back the ability to see my friends on weekends and in the evenings. I won’t be getting up when it’s dark and coming home when it’s dark. Massive respect for the boys/girls who do it. But I was never cut out for it.

P.S - I’m based in Winchester now. If anyone is local and wants to meet up for a drink let me know. I’ll even buy one for you as long as it’s not too expensive.

wrighty1:

dieseldog999:
taliban flipflop have the monopoly in the uk for blindside sideswipes like that.
unless your driving a lhd then theres absolutely no excuse to be so careless and incompetent,it would be even worse than taking the lid off with a low bridge.
mabey you could get a shift with your pal as a 2nd man vanboy as i dont think he is best best mates with the one he has just now?..think of the children

^^^^^^^^^
what hapened to honesty being the best policy then?
its litter patrol in kfc for the future methinks.

I had a near-fatal jack-knife just a week after starting to drive Class 1 - I did a year on rigids first. I was driving down a straight bit of the M40 on a dry, sunny day when all the brakes locked up and the truck jack-knifed, slamming into the embankment at the side of the motorway. You can still see the scars on the landscape now, if you know where to look. I was 23 at the time.

Because I was driving for a dodgy subby out of Poole docks - under 25 and female with no experience in deepest darkest Dorset in 2001, I just had to take whatever crap I could get - no wagon meant no job. By coincidence another cowboy company who I’d originally approached left a message offering me an interview while I was stood on the side of the M40 waiting for a lift home, so I rang them back, explaining the situation. I went to interview the next day bruised and battered but desperate for a job, and they agreed to start me a week later when the bruising and swelling had gone down a bit.

I then went home for a week and stewed.

Day one of the new job was fine. I had an experienced guy sat up with me and we delivered local stuff. Day two I was on my own, and I made it 2 miles down the road onto the bypass before bottling it. I could feel every twitch and wander from the trailer and was convinced it was going to come round on me at any second. So I pulled into a layby and phoned the office, telling them I couldn’t do this after all. They sent someone out to pick me up, but instead of letting me go there and then they offered me another chance the following day.

Day three and off I went again, and again I freaked out, ending up in the same layby as I had before, a jibbering wreck. I sat there for nearly an hour, during which I talked myself round by repeatedly pointing out to myself that if I quit now I’d never drive a wagon again, which would be the end of a long held dream and a waste of the cost of my licence. Eventually I took a HUGE deep breath and carried on.

18 years later here I am, 15 years of tramping under my belt and now test-driving trucks for the transport trade press, among other things. And you know what? That horrible day on the M40 meant I turned out to be a better driver than I ever would have been left to my own devices. To this day I’m cautious on roundabouts, with high COG loads and if I feel wind buffeting the trailer behind me, but not to such an extent it causes a problem. And I’ve never had more than a minor bump since, mostly while manoeuvring in a rush.

Go back, get past the mental block. Lay the ghost to rest. A fortnight after changing job I had the pleasure of driving over my own skidmarks, and I’ll never forget the day my accident happened or how it felt when I tried to drive again. But then I’ll never forget the good stuff which came afterwards either, which I wouldn’t have otherwise experienced at all - and that really WOULD have been something to regret.

sammym:

Beetlejuice:

Aye mate. Something like that. I quit the PhD as I didn’t enjoy it. It wasn’t for me. And now I need to find something I want to do. As it stands I consider myself ‘unemployed’. The problem with driving was I started to hate it - but I didn’t have the drive to find something else. So this has given me the kick up the bum. When I say hate it - I mean the type of work I was doing. Supermarket fridge deliveries, shift work and a text each day with wildly different start times.

I’ll sort something out. I have a bit of savings so I’ll be alright. I’m still relatively young (under 30) so there is no point in my continuing doing something I both don’t enjoy nor am I particularly good at. My partner is a higher earner than I’d ever be driving a truck and is very supportive. She’s agreed to cover the bills for a while until I find something that makes me happy.

The kicker here is I will undoubtedly take a significant pay cut. I’ll be starting out again. I’m okay with that. I’ll get back the ability to see my friends on weekends and in the evenings. I won’t be getting up when it’s dark and coming home when it’s dark. Massive respect for the boys/girls who do it. But I was never cut out for it.

P.S - I’m based in Winchester now. If anyone is local and wants to meet up for a drink let me know. I’ll even buy one for you as long as it’s not too expensive.

Try bin wagons or chain skips before you chuck it in pal ,

Lucy:
Go back, get past the mental block. Lay the ghost to rest. A fortnight after changing job#### I had the pleasure of driving over my own skidmarks,##### and I’ll never forget the day my accident happened or how it felt when I tried to drive again. But then I’ll never forget the good stuff which came afterwards either, which I wouldn’t have otherwise experienced at all - and that really WOULD have been something to regret.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

############### I had the pleasure of driving over my own skidmarks,###########

even after 40 years of driving id think that would be memorable… :smiley:

wrighty1:

dieseldog999:

DD9 was trying his best :smiley:

sammym:

Beetlejuice:

Mate, everyone makes mistakes.

There was a guy on another forum (not a truck one) saying that if he made a mistake in his regular job (a materials purchaser) it just meant his employer wouldn’t make quite so much money until such time as he could make the difference back on another deal. The job was regular hours in an office.

His other job involved having to drop whatever he was doing, whenever his employer wanted him (retained firefighter). He then had four minutes to get to work, and work in job 2 involved driving a fire engine as fast as he could then helping to put out fires, rescue people etc etc. Any mistake here could cost multiple lives.

Job one paid x3 what job 2 did. But job 2 was the one he liked.

You’ve clearly thought about what went wrong, and are unlikely to make the same mistake twice. Unlike some ‘drivers’ who might have 10 years experience, but in reality have done one year of driving, making the same mistakes, ten times.

Ultimately: no one had to go to court, no one had to go to hospital. And that’s all that counts.

Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors.

Blind spots are created because people don’t set mirrors correctly, in too many cases they are set far too high up, you are not going to get dive bombed from on high from a Luftwaffe pilot who passed through a time warp, you do not need to see the top front corner of the vehicle body…in the rare cases you do it will be on close maneuvering and it takes seconds to adjust the electric mirrors up for that few moments and then back down again.
How many times does a lorry overtake you and you can see the mirrors are sticking completely out of the frame at the bottom proving they are adjusted almost to max elevation…edit, maybe partly explaining why so many haven’t a bloody clue where they are an pull back in on you when just slightly past, and then come on here complaining no one flashed them in :imp:

This is just one more thing the training industry, including company trainers, do not advise new drivers on.

The other issue is filthy windows and mirrors, if you can’t see and this is especially relevant on sunny days when the sun hits filthy glass and the glare scatters right across the panel, filhy window and mirror and you’ve lost a massive amount of vision.
Try it, get in the typical fleet lorry with minging windows and mirrors, the spend 15 minutes cleaning them properly inside and out, then look and appreciate what you’ve been missing, can’t see out?, you’ve already lost the battle.

Sammyn old mate, don’t be disheartened, it might be interesting to ask to see the camera footage if the lorry you were in had a proper set, ie front and both sides would be ideal, you might find it wasn’t 100% your fault.
If it was all down to you then learn from it, revisit the scene in your head, why did you not see the car, if the above about mirrors is valid then you have a fix.
Also look, i know you think this agency lark is ok, but really it isn’t its the bloody pits…its bloody horrible going to different companies every day, its bad enough when you’ve been driving for ever its a nightmare for a fairly new driver, you need some routine.

sammym:
I’m not cut out for this driving malarky. My last shift involved me having an accident. 100% my fault. and scared the life out of me. Was on a dual carriageway and turning right at roundabout. About half a mile out I got in RHL. Then realised it was a 3 lane entrance to roundabout abit further on. I looked in my mirrors. I did what I thought I should do. Indicated and looked again. Started to move across. Heard a bang. WTF was my thought. Look again in mirror. Nothing there. Then look at mirror in front of truck. I’m pushing a car along dual carriageway sideways.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. The mum just said ‘thank god we are alive’. The child was in tears - understandably. I was just shocked. She called the Police as she didn’t know what to do. They didn’t come out as no one hurt. I’d be bang on for careless/dangerous driving if they did. Then the husband came. Worst part was that he was nice and said ‘these things happen, it’s fully comp I don’t care’. Tbh if I’d have been him I’d have decked me.

I tried explaining about blindspot and he said he had a class 1 and understood. I don’t know how he kept so cool. But I do know that if I drove tomorrow I couldn’t 100% guarantee it wouldn’t happen again. So I’m hanging up my keys. I could have killed someone - and it just ain’t worth it. I’ve made some money and more than paid for my training back. So I’m up in that sense.

I’m not banned from working for Tesco’s at every DC in the country. Which I’m absolutely fine about. I’ll never say never - if I’m desperate and need to put food on the table then I’ll do what I have to do. But for now I’m retired. Massive respect for the lads who do the job well. Thanks to everyone who gave me good advice. I doubt anyone cares - but I wanted to write this anyway.

Then look at mirror in front of truck. I’m pushing a car along dual carriageway sideways, good knock well done, Listen one thing to be said there is not one single driver on the roads of the UK who has not damaged something at one time or another.

Take time before you leave the yard, make sure you know your route fuel adblu paperwork all in order, get it all set up and clean as you like it take your time look at the signs get in the right lane in plenty of time.

Everyone ***** up and I mean everyone, come and spend a week in my yard and as far as accidents are concerned you are an absolute beginner.

I often refuse agency work because the start time isn’t right or I am tired and need a few days rest. By accepting start times all over the place you will be driving tired and that is when accidents become inevitable.

You need to adjust the left driving mirror down so that you can see if a car is near the left side of your cab. Sometimes the electric motor is unable to adjust the left driving mirror low enough, so I get out and push it down. Doing this has never broken the mechanism yet, but if it did I would just take it to the workshop to get the mechanics to fix it so that I don’t have that dangerous blind spot. Also adjust the left wide angle mirror down. When out on the road watch cars come up your left side and see if they disappear into a blind spot. Hopefully they now don’t…at least not completely.

Tell the agency that you only want to work three days each week if the days are over 11 hours, and that you don’t want to work two days in a row. However, doing this you may only get one day a week when it’s quiet but June to August you should be able to work the days that you want as this is the time when many drivers take their summer holidays.

When you change lane, give plenty of indicator flashes before smoothly changing lane. Don’t be one of those clowns who changes lanes without giving advance warning of their intentions. The lady driver should have sounded her horn to let you know that you were going to hit her. It wasn’t all your fault. Another important point is never rush or allow yourself to be rushed. A job takes as long as it takes, and rushing really doesn’t speed things up much…it just leads to accidents and a driver who then becomes unemployable because of all those accidents.

Oh dear… Thank God it was truck you were in and not a plane.

I did this…

Back in the office and stood on the carpet, I apologised profusely and tendered my resignation, and my boss, Neil, said “What’s the matter, lost your bottle have you?” :stuck_out_tongue:

There is quite a few comments about the blind spot on the near side, but sammym was moving to the right, to turn right at a round about, unless I’ve misread?
It might be worth trying a shift or two again, even if you decide to give up, you wont have what if nagging at the back of your mind.

pig pen:
There is quite a few comments about the blind spot on the near side, but sammym was moving to the right, to turn right at a round about, unless I’ve misread?
It might be worth trying a shift or two again, even if you decide to give up, you wont have what if nagging at the back of your mind.

I thought he was in Rhl and was returning to left ,I find to keep an eye ont step mirror when returning left works for me .

Juddian:
Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors…

I don’t agree with that statement

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

123smith:

Juddian:
Look, lets put one thing to rest shall we, there is no blind spot to the sides or the front of a modern lorry fitted with the standard 6 mirrors…

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

That video is propaganda bullshine, ok so it may be for the right reasons but it’s still bullshine…

The camera is using an unrealistic fixed reference point (unless of course you are 3ft tall or your eyes are located between your ■■■■■■■ and your belly button) whereas any driver worth the ink on his licence moves his eyes, head and body if necessary to see the bigger picture and a hell of a lot less of a blindspot.

123smith:

Juddian:

youtu.be/lV-rhiGRFTE

I thought that 20 year old Foden with the dwarf driver only existed on cycling forums, jeez, it’s in here now :frowning: