You lads were right

Sammy.

Stop being a girls blouse.

Get back behind the wheel.

The end.

DF40:
Really do you know anyone that’s got a job through the job centre.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Yes…Me!

First one…porter on a removals van. Hard work but great fun.

Second one…tractor driver on a farm…the previous guy had tried to kill himself…I soon found out why…an MF135 with the 3 speed box and no multipower, and a broken seat welded direct to the back axle.

And, as a bonus…a healthy lungfull of organophosphates every time from filling the seed-drill.

Oh well, if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger…

After reading the original post I swear it’s either Dozy’s new nom de plume, or and episode of carry on “up the Stobart” with Dozy taking the lead “Sid James” role

peirre:
After reading the original post I swear it’s either Dozy’s new nom de plume, or and episode of carry on “up the Stobart” with Dozy taking the lead “Sid James” role

Not sure myself mate :confused: Could be a ’ second account job ’ but based on the plankton that we see steering wagons, could be entirely true. (I was one of the ’ pack it in ’ brigade)

IF this Sammy character is genuine though he sounds like Frank Spencer.

Cheerio Sammy.png

dieseldog999:
your doing the right thing.
taliban flipflop have the monopoly in the uk for blindside sideswipes like that.
unless your driving a lhd then theres absolutely no excuse to be so careless and incompetent,it would be even worse than taking the lid off with a low bridge.
your doing the best thing by jacking it in pronto.
go back to fiddling with radios or flying a plane.
mabey you could get a shift with your pal as a 2nd man vanboy as i dont think he is best best mates with the one he has just now?..think of the children

Nice one, doggy. You always make me laugh out loud :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll go with the majority sammym, don’t give up so easily. Accidents happen at first and it’s what we learn from. The vast majority of us begin with a mirror hanging off and scrapes along the near and off side front. You went in at the deep end, but quitting also has longer term implications. Forget the millennial, ‘I’ll do something else and be what I want to be.’ Life isn’t like that. There aren’t many vocational careers where you can spend a grand and a half and two weeks later be taking home £500 a week.

You just discovered why companies are reluctant to take on drivers with little or no experience. My advice would be to do night shifts for a while, when the roads are quieter and you can develop your skills and gain experience at your own pace. Whatever you decide, good luck with it. :slight_smile:

streaky:
I’d say you would probably be one of the safer drivers after that as now you’ll check, then check and then check again to make sure now.
Good to know that no one was hurt and the husband with a class 1 was so understandable.
Dust yourself off and get back going as it will be harder to start again if you leave it too long as you’ll put extra worry and stress on yourself.
If it’s not for you then fair enough.
Good luck.

Certainly cant better the above message. We make mistakes, learn from them, and move on.

steviespain:

dieseldog999:
your doing the right thing.
taliban flipflop have the monopoly in the uk for blindside sideswipes like that.
unless your driving a lhd then theres absolutely no excuse to be so careless and incompetent,it would be even worse than taking the lid off with a low bridge.
your doing the best thing by jacking it in pronto.
go back to fiddling with radios or flying a plane.
mabey you could get a shift with your pal as a 2nd man vanboy as i dont think he is best best mates with the one he has just now?..think of the children

Nice one, doggy. You always make me laugh out loud :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
well its the 1st one of “his” posts that i actually agree with. :slight_smile:

I dunno.

I mean back in time the guy posted his driving licence, he’s posted invoices from his company an so on, which is far more than many have done.

May be in a multi, maybe you are, who cares? The point is get back behind the wheel after an incident where ultimately nothing was hurt apart from the bodywork of a car and truck.

Franglais:

jakethesnake:
What you talk about is not a new thing Winseer. It may be newish in the HC but it all started when box trailers were introduced for tests.

The problem is a lot of drivers are probably unaware of what can go wrong when turning right at a roundabout as you did in your assessment.

The problem is in an articulated vehicle unless you have a specific mirror correctly adjusted you have a blind spot when you need to move back to the left to exit.

We are off the originally described incident, but can any mirror, however adjusted, cover the outside of a trailer when on a turn?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

In all honesty, probably not. :wink:

Reef:

Winseer:
I got failed on an assessment for approaching a roundabout in the RHL to take the 3 O’clock exit, and then not moving to the middle of three lanes entering the roundabout. (I stayed hugging the center of the roundabout, as I went past the 9 and 12 o’clock exits)

I guess an incident such as OP describes - explains why my age-old approach is now considered a “fail”.

The highway code has apparently been updated to reflect the change on “roundabout rules”, which as a pro driver - I am supposed to keep abreast of.
I hadn’t done so, so I had to re-assess this time doing it the new way I was told. :blush:

Can’t find anything on this new way as you put it, anyone got a link to this info?

Try some of the advanced driving manuals for LGVs. It’s definitely mentioned in them.
I did think the HC had been updated but cannot be bothered to check if I’m honest.

the common sense approach to a roundabout when you have been driving for 30 or 40 years is now completely wrong for the way the newbies get taught, so by the time all the older ones die off and the newbies are all following the way its being taught now,then by that time,someone will realise its all ■■■ for elbow and will re invent the common sense approach leading to another 40 years of mixed rules.
somewhat similar to whatl happen with smart motorways soon i hope.

As a matter of interest DD what’s your interpretation of the common sense way?

It seems the common sense approach (only an opinion) may not be the safest method.

jakethesnake:
It seems the common sense approach (only an opinion) may not be the safest method.

According to whom Jake? A person who has intimate knowledge of a certain job, or a person desperate to justify his/her salary by being seen to be doing something/anything?

the maoster:
A person who has intimate knowledge of a certain job, or a person desperate to justify his/her salary by being seen to be doing something/anything?

Aka “team leader” and/or “health and safety assessor” (both usually 19 to 23 with a city and guilds in business studies)

I’ve seen a few decent jobs ruined by these wuckfits. :imp:

Franglais:

jakethesnake:
What you talk about is not a new thing Winseer. It may be newish in the HC but it all started when box trailers were introduced for tests.

The problem is a lot of drivers are probably unaware of what can go wrong when turning right at a roundabout as you did in your assessment.

The problem is in an articulated vehicle unless you have a specific mirror correctly adjusted you have a blind spot when you need to move back to the left to exit.

We are off the originally described incident, but can any mirror, however adjusted, cover the outside of a trailer when on a turn?

Unless you’re going back wards, the vast bulk of the trailer, up to the pivot point, is moving away from whatever can’t be seen.

Juddian:

Franglais:

jakethesnake:

Unless you’re going back wards, the vast bulk of the trailer, up to the pivot point, is moving away from whatever can’t be seen.

I beg to differ Juddian. The increasing numbers who want to overtake on roundabouts are closing & half way up the trailer before you see them as you start to straighten before leaving the roundabout. NO indication is the norm with type of driver.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:
[/quote

According to whom Jake? A person who has intimate knowledge of a certain job, or a person desperate to justify his/her salary by being seen to be doing something/anything?

DD made a comment about the common sense approach. I asked him to explain his opinion of that but he never did for whatever reason and that is why I added a futher comment.

I take it your point is “the conmmon sense approach” is the best choice because it has been used by experienced drivers for years which incidently includes myself and your good self?

I am still not sure what DD meant by that phrase hence I asked??

However if I am correct the way it works is if it has been done for years it must be right■■?

Wrong, and that is why it was changed and if you study why it is fairly obvious why!

Is it not?

Wiretwister:

Juddian:

Franglais:

jakethesnake:

I beg to differ Juddian. The increasing numbers who want to overtake on roundabouts are closing & half way up the trailer before you see them as you start to straighten before leaving the roundabout. NO indication is the norm with type of driver.

If an artic keeps to the outside of a roundabout, there is no space for a car to overtake in the blind spot. Anyone who overtakes on the inside is within view.
We all know it is wrong to overtake on roundabouts, and we all know it still happens. Better to have the silly buggers in view really.