Yorkshire Water Tankers And The 1995 Drought

BW 11.jpgEveryman to the pumps!

Another shot taken above Scammonden just off the A640

Under the gantry at Booth Wood Reservoir adjacent to the A672 Oldham Road.

Hi Moomooland, great pictures of the tankers at work, I’ve tried finding the exact spot that you took the photos at Boothwood, on Google maps, narrowed it down to the dam end of Boothwood, past the pub and next to the house which has a driveway leading to it? 23 years ago now so the landscape will have changed. Drawn a complete blank from the Scammondam pictures?? Where was the Tarmac unloading area that the tankers unloaded?

My brother Foden 46 delivered a few loads of machinery up to some of the dams when the water shortage was on but I can’t remember if he said that he took this photo at the time. I have always thought that it’s Scammonden in the background but now I am not so sure if it’s not Boothwood. :confused: :confused:
I do remember that Hanson’s of Huddersfield had at least a couple of tankers running 24/7 for Yorkshire Water at the time and one of the drivers told me that he had loaded at Kielder Water.

Regards Steve.

Steve the Foden is parked next to the B6114 Saddleworth Road above Scammonden, the bridge is just to the left of the photographer,
The road it is parked on was originally built as a temporary diversion while the bridge was built after they carved out the cutting.
I remember it was a very steep hill down to the bottom then across the foundations of the M62 and then up another side up another steep hill.
You can still see the diversion road on the West bound side today as it is a footpath down to the dam.

In this picture taken in 1971 you can still see the remains of the road diversion you had to take while the bridge was being constructed.

S Dam.jpgThis picture was taken while they were building Scammonden bridge, which when finished, linked up to the road in the distance.
The Foden was parked in front of where the hoarding stood.

tarmactipper:
Hi Moomooland, great pictures of the tankers at work, I’ve tried finding the exact spot that you took the photos at Boothwood, on Google maps, narrowed it down to the dam end of Boothwood, past the pub and next to the house which has a driveway leading to it? 23 years ago now so the landscape will have changed. Drawn a complete blank from the Scammondam pictures?? Where was the Tarmac unloading area that the tankers unloaded?

The pictures at Booth Wood were taken on Booth Wood Reservoir car park which is still there today adjacent to the A672 but only has a single entrance, you can just make out the dam wall to the left of this picture.
They opened the car park up at both ends and installed the gantry so you could drive in and out.

As regards the large area covered in tarmac above Scammonden after it was all over it was all dug up and put back to how it was
It was located just behind the Nont Sarahs pub with access off the A640 New Hey Road.

The unloading point was the different colored grassed area just above Nont Sarahs.

Great thanks, one of my mates did the water run, and has told me One or Two tales, and also said it was a Very good earner. White Scania and yellow barrel, from Ossett. I use to pass Boothwood and Scammondon taking loads to Park Pit Elland.

Great thanks, one of my mates did the water run, and has told me One or Two tales, and also said it was a Very good earner. White Scania and yellow barrel, from Ossett. I use to pass Boothwood and Scammondon taking loads to Park Pit Elland.

tarmactipper:
I’ve tried finding the exact spot that you took the photos at Boothwood

Here’s another shot of Booth Wood.

You can see the car park, top right, which was extended all the way to where the white van is parked to make way for the access area.

Yes, got it, I was a bit out as to where I thought it was, but hay ho, great pictures, keep them coming.

Another commercial motor cutting, looks like its well into the crisis

More images from Scammonden during unloading.

moomooland:
Steve the Foden is parked next to the B6114 Saddleworth Road above Scammonden, the bridge is just to the left of the photographer,
The road it is parked on was originally built as a temporary diversion while the bridge was built after they carved out the cutting.
I remember it was a very steep hill down to the bottom then across the foundations of the M62 and then up another side up another steep hill.
You can still see the diversion road on the West bound side today as it is a footpath down to the dam.
In this picture taken in 1971 you can still see the remains of the road diversion you had to take while the bridge was being constructed.
This picture was taken while they were building Scammonden bridge, which when finished, linked up to the road in the distance.
The Foden was parked in front of where the hoarding stood.

Thanks Paul :smiley: I always find it very interesting when somebody like yourself shows us an old photograph and then somebody else can actually pin point the place where the photo was taken. I sometimes have to look on Google Earth to see how the road and the area has changed over the years. :cry:
I don’t know if it’s of any interest to anybody but I thought that I would share this little anecdote with you.
As you know there are dozens of those reservoirs along the Lancashire/ Yorkshire boundary most of which can’t be seen from the road and if you look over the area on Google Earth you will find that some of them are very close to some of the old pack horse routes.
Anyway, about the time of the Yorkshire water crisis my brother had to deliver a mini excavator to one of the reservoirs somewhere between Oldham and Huddersfield. He started talking to a guy who was working for Yorkshire Water who told him that when some of the dams were built The Navvies put in some cobbled channels to direct the run off from the top of the moor towards the dams. A couple of times a year they would send a group of men with shovels to clean out the channels but in the eighties when lots of companies were closing down or doing cut backs somebody decided that the upkeep of these channels were not high on the priority list so a lot of the channels fell into disrepair.
It didn’t take a decade for some of them to disappear completely and that was why they needed the mini excavator to see if they could retrieve some of them.
As they used to say in Yorkshire “every little bit helps”. :wink:

Regards Steve.

BW 9.jpg

Booth Wood Reservoir.

BW 1-001.jpg

Great stuff moomooland Thanks for sharing them, Regards Larry.

Any shape or size tanker was pressed into action.

moomooland:
0Any shape or size tanker was pressed into action.

Driving that powder tanker with water in would have been dicing with death. A 60 cu. m. tank only half full with 25,000 litres of water sloshing about without any baffles doesn’t bear thinking about. I’m surprised that Excel allowed it. Nowadays it is illegal to use an unsuitable tank in such a way.

Went over to Sowerby Bridge today and Booth Wood Reservoir is almost empty again Paul.