Water Shortage

Were any of the gathered members on the water job during the drought in Yorkshire a few years back? There were up to 300 trucks a day at one bit running round the clock. Exel took over the contract and it dried up. [ pun ]

I can remember every time I crossed the Pennines on the M62 there was always a line of tankers waiting to empty into the dams up there.

And if my memory serves me well,I think it was shipped from the reservoir on the A66 near Stockton.

Ken.

everyone who could get hold of a tank got in on the act as they were paying £350/12hr shift, 7 days a week. Very good money in anyones books at the time. Can’t think of any other jobs which were paying £5000/week per vehicle.

I remeber the jobs being advertised round here, I think it was an agency? Anyway, the money was good, but I seem to remember what put me off was the “warm bed” routine in a portakabin that was suggested by the agency!

Mal.

I was on the tankering job, and it was fantastic. The truck had never earned money like it :laughing: . Good old Yorkshire Water :laughing: . I was on the Darlington to Eccup run. Now I’m not saying that we didn’t want the job to stop but we never turned the bath tap off :wink: :blush: . Can you imagine filling up a reservoir with a 22’000 litre tanker. It was like filling a swimming pool with a thimble. :open_mouth:

Remember the guy that was on it with a tank that had ‘Liquid fertilizer’ written on the side? :unamused:

Well there were some stories told, most were true, It was such a good job even the dutch and belgians sent some trucks across.

As marlow said there were fertiliser tanks and chemical tanks on it. I was on the Barmby to Halifax run and spent half the shift on pay in Redbeck Cafe at Howden.

They made money with extra revenue and then they claimed for a new lorry park from Yorkshire Water