Yankee double drive

You’d be hard pressed to find a trailer without spring brakes nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Even the supermarket trucks are double drive, must cost em a fortune in juice.

That’s double drive and the mpg was reset at the same time as the mileage, so as you can see, it doesn’t have a big effect on mpgs, parasitic losses are around 7% per driven axle, possibly less with synthetic oils.

Interesting considering a U.S gallon is about 3.8 litres compared to our 4.54 litre/gallon

I’ve never understood why with lax length restrictions and huge distances the Yanks have such pathetic payload?

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

I’ve been up close in the states, the box trailers and fridges seem to have next to no chassis. I run fuel tankers and our trucks are full pet reg, ADR exhausts etc, but the yank fuel tankers are running round with vertical exhausts.
Nice to out there and see the big ol Petes and Kenworths on their home turf. Antiquated by our standards but they look great.

AlexH71:
Interesting considering a U.S gallon is about 3.8 litres compared to our 4.54 litre/gallon

I wish it was US gallons, that’s set to imperial gallons, I’m English so I can’t be doing with all that US gallon nonsense.

AlexH71:
I’ve been up close in the states, the box trailers and fridges seem to have next to no chassis. I run fuel tankers and our trucks are full pet reg, ADR exhausts etc, but the yank fuel tankers are running round with vertical exhausts.
Nice to out there and see the big ol Petes and Kenworths on their home turf. Antiquated by our standards but they look great.

The only trailers with a chassis are flatbeds and skellies, everything else is a monocoque design, including tankers.

Munchkin:
I’ve never understood why with lax length restrictions and huge distances the Yanks have such pathetic payload?

Firstly it’s their ‘gross’ axle weight issue which compromises payloads.Having said that they are by necessity past masters at minimising tare weights to maximise payloads within their strict gross weight limits.Bearing in mind they’re only a couple of tonnes short of our old 38t gross limit on 5 axles anyway and we’ve also obviously rightly gone for 44 t on 6 axles rather than 40 t on 5 so the issues are similar both sides of the Atlantic.While more length for less height is a lot more practical,than our stupid double deck idea to keep within silly overall length limits.

Carryfast:

Munchkin:

Firstly it’s their ‘gross’ axle weight issue which compromises payloads.Having said that they are by necessity past masters at minimising tare weights to maximise payloads within their strict gross weight limits.Bearing in mind they’re only a couple of tonnes short of our old 38t gross limit on 5 axles anyway and we’ve also obviously rightly gone for 44 t on 6 axles rather than 40 t on 5 so the issues are similar both sides of the Atlantic.While more length for less height is a lot more practical,than our stupid double deck idea to keep within silly overall length limits.

It also benefits from the fact that all our motorway bridges are high enough to run at 16ft 3ins for trunking. A double decker isn’t brilliant for general haulage because of the chances of finding a low bridge. Double decks are not stupid, they are just for certain applications.