Canadian trucks

Went to Toronto in 2008 and took some pics of trucks. Well what else would I do ■■?

Will try and upload some pics to here over the coming weeks. Most were taken through the window of a moving car and the trucks were usually moving in the opposite direction so no complaints about the quality please. The first was actually taken whilst stationary and not in a car myself. ( I wasn’t driving the car, didn’t want a busman’s holiday so let the Canadian relatives do all the driving ).

Horrid looking things. The Peterbuilts have their own style but some of them are just rank lol. I like the big Volvos they have there, though

Great pics Willy, keep 'em coming, but need resizing slightly.

I bet that Volvo’s got a few clicks wound on her. (think million +)

Mmmmmm. Timmys!

That pete in the 3rd pic looks nice.

Like the slightly bruised and battered Volvo…

Makes a change to see a genuine working truck rather than a truckfest wannabee.

Cracking pictures Willy

How come all american trailers only have 2 axles rather than the usual 3 in the uk on most trailers?

Joshh:
How come all american trailers only have 2 axles rather than the usual 3 in the uk on most trailers?

Because they gross out at only 33 tonne.

Re-sized the pics, hope that’s better for all.

Don’t forget these were taken from a moving car through the glass and the trucks were travelling in the opposite direction.

Driveroneuk:

Joshh:

Because they gross out at only 33 tonne.

36.5 tonnes in the US, 40 in Canada on 5 axles and 46.5 on 6. On 8 axles they are 62.5 tonnes, but that is suber B trains.

Josh, the US will only allow 34000 lbs (15.4 tonnes) on a 2 axle bogie, and they have rules which vary from state to state about how the weight should be distributed length wise. General rule of thumb is that you have a tandem trailer with a kingpin to between the axles measurement of 41’.

The number of trucks on the road here and the condition of the roads is a testament that there is something to be said for it, too.

Nice pics, BTW…

Just noticed the little bit about Cornwall bobthedog, where in Cornwall did you live, originally come from a little place called North Hill between Launceston and Liskeard. Are the foreign devils bloody Devonians ■■?

I know North Hill, but I am a Camelford boy. Lived in Launceston for a few years but they were all acting like they were English so I went back to the moors. :smiley:

Of course, now I live on a really big moor!! :laughing: :laughing:

In 1969 I had a mini van with rear seat convrsion. Broke down at St Kew Highway and a mate towed me back home. Went down Camelford High Street at about 50 mph. Sparks flying everywhere from the 1/2 inch wire rope he was towing me with dragging on the road, was desperately trying to keep the thing between the pavements and was tooooooo busy to worry about the rope. Fortunately I got a little respite at the bottom of the hill when the rope broke. Was definitely hair raising down the hill into Altarnun. Was never so glad to park a vehicle up.

They widened it out in the main street years ago, then they made it narrower than ever a little while back. I haven’t seen it yet, but I hear the queues are something to behold.

I bet it was interesting going down into Altarnun on a rope… Were you in a hurry to get to the Kings Head before they locked the doors?? :laughing: :laughing: