6x2 or 4x2 tractors

Hi all this is my very first post and i am over the moon in finding this site with all the info available.
There is one question i need to know the answer to. Why would you use a 6x2 rather than a 4x2 or vice versa to haul, I do know that it’s got something to do with the weight your pulling. But if thats the case why use a 4x2 if on a 6x2 the mid wheel goes up and down.
Hope you get what i’m trying to say please help. :shock:

yes the wheel/axle configeration is to do with weight.
The Tag axle(the 1 lifted) is lifted when the trailer is running empty or partially loaded & gets loawered when the weight is near its max…the axle is lifted to save on tyre rubber when it is empty.

darren your a star mate thanks alot for that.

But there still remains the bit about the 4x2 why do we need them if i the 6x2 can do both jobs, is it down to cost, cheaper to run etc

Thanks mate

kreamo:
darren your a star mate thanks alot for that.

But there still remains the bit about the 4x2 why do we need them if i the 6x2 can do both jobs, is it down to cost, cheaper to run etc

Thanks mate

Not so sure on that these days…i know you use to pay higher tax for higher weighted vechiles, maybe someone else will know the answer to this 1

44ton 6 axles ie 3 on unit 3 on trailer

4x2 units mainly on lighter work or continental work. Why have 6x2 unit when all you do is move crisps ie Walkers. But If your a general haulage firm in UK why move 40 ton when you can move 44? May as well have 6x2 and run to the max.

imp thankyou for your answer i am now much much wiser.

see i always thought doing continental work would be the heaviest requiring 6x2

Thanks alot everybody.

The weight limit in most EU countries is only 40 tonnes and on 5 axles. the 44 tonnes on 6 axle is a British thing.

unless you need it for 44 tonne work the extra axle, adds weight and complication, and reduces the space for large fuel tanks, tool lockers, air tanks etc.

However running with a 4x2 unit means you have to be more carefull with load distribution as it’s easier to overload your drive axle. I used to do multi drop work with tilts and although they weren’t over-weight as you unloaded from the rear it was very easy end up with all the weight over the drive axle.

There is also a road tax saving on 3+3 units over 2+3 units at certain weights.

kreamo:

Like someone already mentioned there are specific jobs where you don’t need ever haul maximum weight. In such cases 6x2 unit only brings more weight and if lift axle is down it’ll add drag. Both of these things increase fuel consumption which in general is considered as a thing to avoid.

I don’t know about your taxation over there, tax for 4x2 unit might be cheaper than tax on 6x2 unit which also discourages to get too heavy tractor unit. Here in Finland you see from time to time four axle wagon and drag combinations although that allows GVW to be only little more than half of allowed maximum which would require seven axles. Reason for having only four axles are their lightweight loads so odd need for greater GVW wouldn’t negate increased tax and fuel costs. I’d guess there is same kind of reasoning why most but not all tractor units over there are 6x2.

i remember my father telling me it is nigh on impossible to overload axles on tri axle unit & tri axle trailer even when running at 44t

i remember my father telling me it is nigh on impossible to overload axles on tri axle unit & tri axle trailer even when running at 44t

thats only if all axles are on air

biggusdickusgb:

thats only if all axles are on air

thanks biggus i had forgotten that bit !

I drive a 4x2 with triaxle fridge on euro work and as stated by previuos posts i am 40 ton gross but there are problems on this combination when i arrive back in the UK the max gross on the drive axle in France is 13.000kg but in the uk it is 11.500kgwhich means on a 26pallet load of equal wts i can only load 18500 kg before i am overweight on the drive axle in uk but abroad i can load 22000kg and be legal for France thats also with 1200 litres of fuel.
Another place where i fall foul of uk rules are on the pin weight of 18000kg yet my plated weight is 8000kg one the front axle then 11500 on the drive so in the uk i can be legal on the axles yet over weight on the pin or unit so just another stupid uk rule.
klunk
PS Thats the reason why my new 6x2unit on order is one with the small wheels ugh to look at but legal weight wise in the uk but ill lose 400lt capacity of french fuel

i thought max axle weights was 10500 kg in uk cannot be arsed checking but i am sure someone will correct me with a degree of accuracy !!!

Is the wheelbase a bit shorter on 4x2, making them more manouverable? Perhaps I’m imagining it but I seem to find it easier to reverse with a 4x2 (yes, I do lift the axle). This seems to be backed up by the number of supermarket 4x2s where tight yards are more of a concern than weight or long range.

Admittedly I don’t have like for like comparisons, I seem to mostly get 4x2 Merc/MAN/Volvo and 6x2 Scania/DAF so may be more to do with the manufacturer?

It all depends on the tyre size Matt if you have 315s i think on the drive and the front the weights are 11500 and 8000 plus also my truck is a import seemingly and this also makes a differance but as i say its no advantage because of the pin weight but ill double check the plate tomoro as i am only 99% sure
klunk