Can someone help?

Quite confused here.

I used to work for a haulage company on the agency which had all units which was plated for 38 tonne. They had Volvo’s MAN and Mercs

Thinking about it some of the tractor units had a double axle on the backend and some have a single axle on the back of the unit.

Why is this?

Has it something to do with tax?

I can’t see any point in having a double axle on the back end of a unit if a single axle on the backend of the unit can pull the same weight and do the same job.

Or do haulage companies think the units look cool the more tyres on the unit?

p.s I can’t think now what the double axle on the backend of the unit is called…been thinking about this all the way up to Dewsbury from Derby last night…how sad is that?

the lift axle gives another six ton of load capacity if the units on air suspension making a gross of 44t,thats assuming the trailer is a tri axle on air, think if either the unit or trailer is on steel it’s 41t gross but it’d be hard to find a unit on steel these days. the idea being you get the extra payload but can lift the axle when empty and have the same running costs of a 4 wheeler, tax wise it’s cheaper for a 6x2 than a 4x2 the idea being that higher gross weights and higher payloads means less vehicles on the road to carry the same tonnage.
i don’t know why anyone would down plate a 6x2 to 38t?

paul b:
the lift axle gives another six ton of load capacity if the units on air suspension making a gross of 44t,thats assuming the trailer is a tri axle on air, think if either the unit or trailer is on steel it’s 41t gross but it’d be hard to find a unit on steel these days. the idea being you get the extra payload but can lift the axle when empty and have the same running costs of a 4 wheeler, tax wise it’s cheaper for a 6x2 than a 4x2 the idea being that higher gross weights and higher payloads means less vehicles on the road to carry the same tonnage.
i don’t know why anyone would down plate a 6x2 to 38t?

my old unit was a V reg 6x2 rear lift on air, mgw 41000kg. i think the 44t limit was only introduced in 1999, so older trucks would need replating to operate at 44t.

Non driven axle behind drive axle = TAG AXLE

Non driven axle infront of drive axle = MID LIFT

Both axles driving = DOUBLE DRIVE

Rest your mind now :smiley:

As far as I know ,if your unit has a 6x2 configuration on road friendly suspension (which is usually AIR but not always), it can be plated at upto 41 ton with a EURO 1 engine, a EURO 2 engined unit can be plated at upto 44 ton. ( I’m now waiting to be contradicted :laughing: ).

so, 2 and 3 axle units all taxed at 38 ton.
do they have any tandem axle trailers.
2 axle tractor and 2 axle trailer is only 32 ton.
3 axle tractor and 2 axle trailer is 38 ton.

you still see a lot of tandem axle tippers on aggregate work getting pulled by 3 axle tractors.

Maximum Gross Weights

Gross weights for goods vehicles in the UK were increased in line with EU directive96/53 with effect from January 1999. The figures given below indicate the maximumgross weights possible under the Road Vehicles (Authorised weight) regulations 1998 which implimented the provisions of the directives. Obviously, vehicles not complying totally with the requirements of the regulations will be subject to lower limits.

4x2 unit + Single axle trailer = 26 ton on Air / 25ton on Steel.
4x2 unit + Tandem axle trailer = 38 ton on air / 36 ton on steel
4x2 unit +Tri axle trailer = 40 ton
6x2 unit + tandem axle trailer = 40 ton
6x2 unit + tri axle trailer = 41 ton unless unit fitted with a Euro 2 (or better) engine & road freindly suspension on all axles (unit & trailer) when it can be operated at up to 44 ton.

Taken from the OCR CPC training manual 2001.

Discopete:

Also PUSHER? No idea why :confused:

Also BOGIE DRIVE? Sounds revolting :unamused:

Salut, David.

Thanks for the responses.

The company was a bit of a cowboy set up old x reg with clapped out old trailers.

Most of the trailers where Tri axle trailer.

I can sleep better now

You got in Austria Tractors with Liftaxle who run most with full weight like Tanks fitted with Twinwheels on Liftaxle
If you bought a Tractor with Liftaxle for Longhaul in Groupage you got singlewheeled Liftaxle as it is lighter and you don’t have allways the full weight.

Discopete:

You can also have a lift axle in front of the drive axle which (if not steered) is a pusher. In that configuration the tyre scrub would be more-so than if the mid-axle is steered which would make the unit a twin-steer.