Working utilities

And using a drivers handbook instead of a tachograph digi card my boss claims I wouldn’t need to take breaks , I differ what about the 6 hour rule working time directive

Stuff…

Your boss and the WTD, why would you wanna work for six hours without a break anyway?

Working Time Directive still applies even if you’re a van driver.

Been working under GB regs since I started driving in 2014 all that is required is “adequate rest”. You personally decide what adequate rest is.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules

been on GB domestic rule for a utility company for 16+ years driving 44 ton tanker you dont have to have a break at 4.5 hours etc only thing to comply with in a 24 hour period is 10 hours driving or 11 hours duty and in a emergency you can do what hours you want.

Working time directive mobile workers have to have a break at 6 hours on duty or just after I’m sure I’m on a logbook now boss seems to think WTD doesn’t Apply I’m still taking it at 12:00 mid day as I start at 6 but don’t drive much mainly working the crane on the wagon , if I was unlucky to get pulled by vosa they could download from
The tacho head to see if I have Actually had any Breaks even if I stated I have on my Logbook .

Do what ever you feel is required. But from personal experience it’s never been an issue for me.
I regularly do 6/7 hour stints driving without stopping other than for a pee (shock horror) and we get a lot of attention from the DVSA because of what we carry. I’ve had them flick through my book and download the head they’ve never taken issue with what they’ve found.
I don’t work for a cowboy outfit far from it and this is common place in this side of the industry. Many who’ve only worked under EU regs can’t get their head round it when you tell them what we do.

chef sauce:
And using a drivers handbook instead of a tachograph digi card my boss claims I wouldn’t need to take breaks ,

But then if you take a break without a tacho your boss hopefully won’t know about it.Which is probably why so many of the old transport cafes started closing down after the 1970’s.

All it will take will be one driver falling asleep and killing someone whilst “complying” with those rules and it will all get turned on it’s head.

Until then, crack on and I hope that doesn’t happen to you.

DickyNick:
All it will take will be one driver falling asleep and killing someone whilst “complying” with those rules and it will all get turned on it’s head.

You’ll be please to hear we can work 7 days a week every week all year round as well. And days in excess of the 15 hours proscribed under EU regs are not uncommon.
Spring and Christmas are our busiest times spring there’s a lot of birthing and Christmas there is a lot of killing.

harrawaffa:

DickyNick:

You’ll be please to hear we can work 7 days a week every week all year round as well. And days in excess of the 15 hours proscribed under EU regs are not uncommon.
Spring and Christmas are our busiest times spring there’s a lot of birthing and Christmas there is a lot of killing.

Is there a limit on mileage? Or radius from the depot should I say a bit like what gives recovery drivers the exemption from tacho? Or do you literally have a blank canvas? Do what you want?

DickyNick:

harrawaffa:

DickyNick:

Is there a limit on mileage? Or radius from the depot should I say a bit like what gives recovery drivers the exemption from tacho? Or do you literally have a blank canvas? Do what you want?

The exemption we operate under has no mileage limit. The recovery exemption has 100km limit from base. Do what you like just don’t drive more than 10 hours in a 24 hour period and no more than 11 hours duty time in a 24 hour period. Breaks do not count as duty time.

harrawaffa:

DickyNick:

harrawaffa:

DickyNick:

The exemption we operate under has no mileage limit. The recovery exemption has 100km limit from base. Do what you like just don’t drive more than 10 hours in a 24 hour period and no more than 11 hours duty time in a 24 hour period. Breaks do not count as duty time.

What is the work? What are you carrying/collecting?

Animal byproducts from abattoirs that are not fit for human consumption and bulk fallen stock animals (animals that have died/been killed at the farm)
I mainly do tanker work on blood collection now but we run a fleet of bulk tippers for the majority of the work
The material eventually gets burned to produce electricity after it’s been through the plants my employer operates

harrawaffa:
Animal byproducts from abattoirs that are not fit for human consumption and bulk fallen stock animals (animals that have died/been killed at the farm)
I mainly do tanker work on blood collection now but we run a fleet of bulk tippers for the majority of the work
The material eventually gets burned to produce electricity after it’s been through the plants my employer operates

I’m just interested now. Why the exemption for that? Is it because it’s a potential environmental/biological hazard so a trailer full of animal blood doesn’t need to be sat in services or a lay-by for 45 mins?

Conor:
Working Time Directive still applies even if you’re a van driver.

The RT(WT)R what truck drivers call the WTD doesn’t apply though.

No breaks are legally required.

You’re exempt from the RT(WT)R (WTD) when operating under GB domestic regs.

You’re only effected by 4 points for the WTD

Max average of 48 hours per per week over the reference period, but you can opt out.

5.6 weeks holiday

Health checks for night workers

Adequate rest.

That’s it.

No breaks required

harrawaffa:

Know doubt you will remember the SW Scotland company that on the same job as yourself doublemaned down to the west country and back in a shift and the 8wheeler that ran out o penrith with the skips on back in the day …I was behind it when we got pulled in at a dot stop its wheels didn’t even stop as they started waving it to get the hell out and I just followed on …lol

DickyNick:
I’m just interested now. Why the exemption for that? Is it because it’s a potential environmental/biological hazard so a trailer full of animal blood doesn’t need to be sat in services or a lay-by for 45 mins?

Indeed. CAT 1 material poses a risk to human health hence why it’s burned and there’s specified disposal time frames. Drivers still night out with full trailers if they reach their 10 hour drives though.

JIMBO47:
Know doubt you will remember the SW Scotland company that on the same job as yourself doublemaned down to the west country and back in a shift and the 8wheeler that ran out o penrith with the skips on back in the day …I was behind it when we got pulled in at a dot stop its wheels didn’t even stop as they started waving it to get the hell out and I just followed on …lol

Still mostly the same these days. DVSA boys only interested in the weight as they know we have to do a bit of guess work trailers filled with farm animals never weigh the same twice and a quick check of the back door to make sure we aren’t leaking. They’ve no interest in rolling around underneath for some reason lol.

you said night out !!! I mind the Sw company got banned from every motorway service from Scotland to the west country ,as a mate who drove for them told me they got held up coming back with chicken guts etc in the summer due to a major accident, people were puking all round them in the tailback ,and believe it or not a motorway cop stopped and told them to follow him off the road and drive down the hardshoulder till they came to a maintenance turn off and told them to sit in there till the road reopened.