Wtd directive flaunted!

Hi all

I work as a lorry driver and I do 47 hours per week via the 17 week spread.

To my disgust I am finding fellow drivers starting at 5 with there tacho cards and putting there tacho on rest whilst working on loading vehicles from 5:30 to 6:00 giving them there uk directive break allowing them to do deliveries then take another 30 minute break if close to 4 hour 30 for there EU break.

Is this considered acceptable by law, surely its not right to take break so early in to shift.
Yes i know its illegal to work your break but I am also interested in knowing legality of early breaks.

I am in the situation of being questioned about my duty as fellow drivers doing my job get back much earlier!
I`m no slouch on doing my job but when drivers using there breaks the way they are just to knock off earlier bugs me.

rant over
Colin

If no driving is done before taking a break, it may not be counted as a driving break, meaning a full 45 will be needed later on.

they move truck (sometimes but rarely) a matter of feet!

at least 1 minute driving needs to be recorded to make it a driving time break so moving it a few feet is not going to do that

Exactly as I thought which really bugs the crap out of me, start at 5 work my nuts off til 6:30 then hit road taking break waiting for 1st drop to open (30 minutes) then do further 5 drops then take further 30 minute break, leaving me fresh drive time to hit yard for 14:30/15:00.

Driver did my run on Friday was back in yard 13:30 now I`ve been pulled as to why I take so long when other drivers can get back so early.

I pointed out that they put tacho`s on break whilst working yet they say “thats there perogative”

If the vehicles are fitted with type 1 digital tachographs moving just a few feet will record a minutes driving time, so the break would count as a driving break.

I agree though that when people regularly abuse the regulations it makes life hard for those that stick to them.

gsxcol:
Driver did my run on Friday was back in yard 13:30 now I`ve been pulled as to why I take so long when other drivers can get back so early.

I pointed out that they put tacho`s on break whilst working yet they say “thats there perogative”

You need to follow this up with a written query to your company asking for written clarification about your duties and how they expect them to be recorded.

gsxcol:
Hi all

To my disgust I am finding fellow drivers starting at 5 with there tacho cards and putting there tacho on rest whilst working on loading vehicles from 5:30 to 6:00 giving them there uk directive break allowing them to do deliveries then take another 30 minute break if close to 4 hour 30 for there EU break.

Is this considered acceptable by law, surely its not right to take break so early in to shift.
Yes i know its illegal to work your break but I am also interested in knowing legality of early breaks.

I am in the situation of being questioned about my duty as fellow drivers doing my job get back much earlier!
I`m no slouch on doing my job but when drivers using there breaks the way they are just to knock off earlier bugs me.

rant over
Colin

well that is totally illegal, they can only record other work while loading and not break. that would be classed as falsifying tacho records and that can carry a custodial sentence if prosecuted :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

gsxcol:
Hi all

rant over
Colin

But eventually it will come back to bite them on the ■■■,our job was changed a bit so we were only doing about 8/9 hrs per day for our guaranteed 10 hrs,ok but not good enough for some whoused every trick in the bookmtomget it down to 5/6/7 hrs a day,every one was :smiley: :smiley: ,loving it,this went on for a week or two,some drivers doing 5/6/7 hrs a day for there 10 hrs guaranteed pay,1run out of one depot :exclamation: :exclamation: ,then somebody in management had a look,thought if they could do I run in 5/6/7 hrs out of one depot why can’t we send them in for a reload out of another,they’ve 10/9/8 hrs to do it in,there now doing 2 runs per day,13/14/15 hrs,there not happy,there on about doing this/that,stopping for breaks etc,etc,but it’s too late now,they’ve cut there own throats :cry: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

gsxcol:

To which you should simply reply “well it’s my prerogative to stick to the law”.

Paul

dozy:

gsxcol:
Hi all

rant over
Colin

But eventually it will come back to bite them on the ■■■,our job was changed a bit so we were only doing about 8/9 hrs per day for our guaranteed 10 hrs,ok but not good enough for some whoused every trick in the bookmtomget it down to 5/6/7 hrs a day,every one was :smiley: :smiley: ,loving it,this went on for a week or two,some drivers doing 5/6/7 hrs a day for there 10 hrs guaranteed pay,1run out of one depot :exclamation: :exclamation: ,then somebody in management had a look,thought if they could do I run in 5/6/7 hrs out of one depot why can’t we send them in for a reload out of another,they’ve 10/9/8 hrs to do it in,there now doing 2 runs per day,13/14/15 hrs,there not happy,there on about doing this/that,stopping for breaks etc,etc,but it’s too late now,they’ve cut there own throats :cry: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

A few of our drivers are like this.
They’ll do a run in 6/7 hours instead of 8/9 and management have (apparently) noticed, so in time we may get stuck with doing more than 9 hours a day.
Having said that, some of our Class 1 drivers spout lines such as “I’m not doing 12 hours”, and “If we do a 15 hour day we should get a day in lieu”.