Which Sat Nav to buy

I bought tomtom 550 for 30 quid and installed my own truck software last year i have done some class 2 work i have had no problem finding depots with it. But i have got a garmin dezl 770 lmt which is practically brand new untouched sat in my bag didnt use it on any shift whatsoever. Buy tomtom 550 750 or 950 and install your own truck software

xichrisxi:
My £420 tomtom trucker is away AGAIN for repair because of a failed gps issue,2nd time in 4 months on 2 seperate units!I’ve almost been without it for longer than I’ve been with it…goes to show just because you buy a named one at top price it doesn’t mean it won’t fail…repeatedly.

Tomtom are now sending me a brand new replacement,hopefully this will last longer than the previous ones.

Not wanted to put a downer on it! :cry:
But what a lot of firms do is design a new model, and then find ways to economise the design through the products evolution. The various playstation models were good examples of this. So what TomTom MIGHT (and I say might) have done is played with the GPS chip, and made it cheaper.

I’ve an early TomTom 6000 truck and had no issues with it…

I thought I’d bought a noz tech truck sat Nav, turns out it’s the car sat Nav.
Looked at my order and that’s what I ordered to, my bad I’m an idiot.

I’ve had a Tom Tom 5150 since I started and its been ace but you have to double check the route though because it can route on roads that may not have a restriction but as a driver you know aren’t suitable for a truck.

crazyplay:
I bought tomtom 550 for 30 quid and installed my own truck software last year i have done some class 2 work i have had no problem finding depots with it. But i have got a garmin dezl 770 lmt which is practically brand new untouched sat in my bag didnt use it on any shift whatsoever. Buy tomtom 550 750 or 950 and install your own truck software

How much to add in the truck software and where from? Amp re any of the apps on IOS / Android worth a punt?

I went with the TomTom trucker 6000. its pretty decent. has pretty good features like traffic and diversion. you can enter your vehicle width, height and weight and it should take you down roads that are suitable, although sometimes it tends to want me to go down narrow country roads sometimes. That one cost me about £280, but figured I’d rather go with a more expensive one & relible one then a cheaper one that prehaps wouldn’t be as good :slight_smile:

Nerodio:
I went with the TomTom trucker 6000. its pretty decent. has pretty good features like traffic and diversion. you can enter your vehicle width, height and weight and it should take you down roads that are suitable, although sometimes it tends to want me to go down narrow country roads sometimes. That one cost me about £280, but figured I’d rather go with a more expensive one & relible one then a cheaper one that prehaps wouldn’t be as good :slight_smile:

As I’m only doing casual cover and some weekends, I wasn’t ready yet to spend 280, thinking of either the trucknav one 72 ish or one of the ebay specials at 40 bu they seem very vague on if they actually do truck dimensions. Might go secondhand?

spacemanZ10:

Nerodio:

As I’m only doing casual cover and some weekends, I wasn’t ready yet to spend 280, thinking of either the trucknav one 72 ish or one of the ebay specials at 40 bu they seem very vague on if they actually do truck dimensions. Might go secondhand?

I’ve had the £40 ebay special…And to be honest it was ok…Downside was its a pain to update the maps.Unless you know what your doing.Wich getting on a bit.I dont…Anyway i bought the £72 one of chris…Who is trucktables i think.On ebay…Had it about 2yrs now.And its a good cheap satnav.And yes it has all the dimensions in it that you can set up…So i would reccomend it…Remember to use your eyeballs 1st and foremost though.Satnavs are only an aid.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

seasideblues:
Which Sat Nav do you find the best to buy…Priced a new Snooper with built in tv for £389.00…or do you get the other one’s seen on Ebay for around £79.00

Any Thought and reviews

Thanks

GARMIN

daftvader:

spacemanZ10:

Nerodio:

I’ve had the £40 ebay special…And to be honest it was ok…Downside was its a pain to update the maps.Unless you know what your doing.Wich getting on a bit.I dont…Anyway i bought the £72 one of chris…Who is trucktables i think.On ebay…Had it about 2yrs now.And its a good cheap satnav.And yes it has all the dimensions in it that you can set up…So i would reccomend it…Remember to use your eyeballs 1st and foremost though.Satnavs are only an aid.

Agree with th eyeballs bit! I’ve relied on the ‘old school’ way so far of applemaps and keeping my eye on height and weight signs.
Might invest in a truckers road atlas also as a back up?

The Snooper Truckmate s8100

Truckmate S8100 is the latest seven inch truck dedicated satellite navigation device from Snooper. The most sophisticated truck specific navigational device feature’s a built-in ‘Freeview’ DVB-T2 Digital TV, an enhanced three watt speaker plus tyre pressure monitoring capabilities. Couple this with Truckmate’s award winning software and you have the leading truck sat nav around.

Full European Mapping (Includes UK/ROI & Europe)

7 Inch LCD Display

Built-in ‘Freeview’ TV

Enhance 3 watt speaker

FM Transmitter

Cost me nearly £500 but got it as soon as it was launched its now only £399 from Snooper website Need to add aint figured out how to get the tv bit working but have discovered it links to phone so when those anoying people in work whom drive thier desks call, im hands free

The snooker doesn’t do much more than any other sat nav out there it just they market it better I’ve always used phone/pda apps personally there much cheaper to buy as with phone apps you already have the hardware

daftvader:

spacemanZ10:

Nerodio:

Cheers Daft!

spacemanZ10:

crazyplay:

How much to add in the truck software and where from? Amp re any of the apps on IOS / Android worth a punt?

Sorry for the late reply mate. If you are a computer Wizkid then go to this site called navitotal.com
All the information you can find it there. If you ain’t a tech person then I would choose to go on eBay and buy it from there hope that helps.
Forgot to mention it’s all free.

You don’t need a sat nav, all you need is Google earth online your phone and a philipsychologist navI gator map.

Why people send their hard earned on crappy
Sat navs is beyond me.

Google maps have created a map page link specifically for low bridges. If you go to the page, you see all the low bridges in the uk marked in blue. The good aspect of this, is that you can then type in your destination post code and your route will be displayed as if you had typed it in ordinarily in google maps, only this way, the low bridges are still displayed and by zooming in ( expanding your smart phone screen ) you can see whether any of those bridges are along your route. I use this along with tom tom go mobile installed on my iPhone. £19.99

Know your trucks height and width and that’s all you need.

Just a heads up on Garmin DEZL 770.

Bought for me, xmas just gone.

Mine took me too a 3 tonne bridge at Hoddesdon even thou I had programmed it for 38t. (Although it has only done this once). Was a right pig turning round :frowning:

Also have issue with its battery. Presently wont charge / switch on, trying to get it sorted with Garmin.

Not impressed for just shy of £400.