Sat nav

Cheapest sat truck nav in halfords £279,loads on ebay for under £100,anyone recommend one of them they are using?

I LIKE TOM TOM MATE BUT SOME LIKE GARMIN AND SOME LIKE OTHER MAKES THAT I DONT KNOW LIKE GAVMAN OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE NOW DONT USE SAT NAV THEY USE GOOGLE MAPS ON THIER PHONE INSTEAD AND THEY ARE CONSTANTLY SCROLLING WHILE HOLDING IT AND DRIVING BUT THEY RECKON THE HONG KONG SAT NAVS ON E BAY ARE GOOD FOR 12 QUID THEY HAVE A BIG TV SCREEN ON THEM SO YOU CAN STILL WATCH CORRY ON THE MOTORWAY , MIGHT EVEN GET CHANNEL 5

My question is are those large Chinese truck sat navs worth buying,obviously not as good as a decent garmin or tom tom,but at a quarter of the price may be good value,any thoughts I am thinking of getting one because want a truck sat nav.

had a chinky satnav a little over a year now and love it- what i bought mine for was it speaks when im going over the speed limit- and repeats the verbals too , so subconsciously i slow down ,saved me countless times it has

i couldnt find other makes that spoke when im speeding . another good feature is the speed camera alert is especially loud

Ive got the tomtom 5150 and a 7 inch chinese one running the igo primo software.

Both have their merits tbh. The tomtom is a bit better to use, but the Chinese one was considerably cheaper and can do more stuff.

Both route pretty much the same, both recalculate pretty much the same, although the Chinese one was slightly faster, both accept POIs.
The tomtom has live traffic and weather, plus also live speed camera alerts, whereas the Chinese one doesn’t. The Chinese ones speed alerts are better, the tomtom one seems to only have car speed limits, not truck, despite the profile being on truck.
Apart from that, not a lot in it.

YEAH BUT CAN YOU GET CHANNEL 5 ON THE TOM TOM

villa:

No, but the on-screen keyboard on the TomTom does allow you to type in lower case…

I have had on for over a year. In fact I staI bought it.rted a thread about it before I bought it (see my past posts). I love it. I had to repurchase it recently, after the missus stood on it and cracked the screen - it had gone down from 50 to 35 since I bought it. It is a bit clunky, compared to the fancy expensive ones, but it getsme where u need to gi, and avoids the low bridges, etc that I need it to, so I am happy with it.
Like someone else said, there is no live update, so you will have to weigh up how m hich that is worth to you.
I only do a few says a week, agency, and the cheap one is fine for me. If was driving full time, under tume pressure, through congested routes? I would probably go for the one with live updates.

This thread may help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116630

I got 1 of the cheap ebay ones and I can’t complain about it.
It hasn’t taken me down any narrow roads up and around Aberdeen/Keith yet.
There is also a lot of info on it, down to the name of the petrol station I’m approaching(ESSO/Sheel ect)
Time will tell though.

Eat My BB:
I got 1 of the cheap ebay ones and I can’t complain about it.
It hasn’t taken me down any narrow roads up and around Aberdeen/Keith yet.
There is also a lot of info on it, down to the name of the petrol station I’m approaching(ESSO/Sheel ect)
Time will tell though.

Might look into one. My Garmin (car nav) gave me all sorts of hassle trying to get from Peterhead to Bluehill quarry near Aberlour. Being new to area I just stuck to the A roads I know. But the Garmin wanted to zig zag me down B roads. Didn’t want to risk low bridges or weight limits.

there is an app called aponia truck sat nav which has very mixed reviews and is free from what i can see!

maybe someone on here has used it?

Buy one of those cheap ones off eBay performs better than my £270 tom tom truck which I traded up to should av kept my Chinese one

I have a cheap Chinese one and can’t fault it! Just started a new job and the truck has a TomTom in, think it’s the 7210 or something, but its no better than my cheap one. Only advantage is it has live traffic and is linked to the tracker so the office can also see where we are and send messages via the TomTom.

Roymondo:

villa:

No, but the on-screen keyboard on the TomTom does allow you to type in lower case…

lol

there is no point buying any sat nav if it doesnt give you live traffic information
most drivers know what route to take anyway, but they havent got crystal balls to know about delays , closures and accidents
so just get the tom tom and stop funding chinese triad gangs
you know it makes sense