When Access is Blocked

Rjan:

Heisenberrg:
There’s a village in Dorset where car drivers thought it was a good idea to park however they wanted until one night when the fire brigade came through and wrote off 5 cars and badly damaged several others…Putting out fires trumps asking owners politely to move their car…

Do you reckon the firefighters now have to tell their car insurers they’ve been involved in a collision? :laughing:

I’ve been called out to recover quite a few cars moved by the fire brigade, if bouncing them out of the way don’t work then they roll them over !

IME, the driver of the fire engine does not get involved, for very good reasons.

Dork Lard:

Rjan:
Do you reckon the firefighters now have to tell their car insurers they’ve been involved in a collision? :laughing:

I’ve been called out to recover quite a few cars moved by the fire brigade, if bouncing them out of the way don’t work then they roll them over !

IME, the driver of the fire engine does not get involved, for very good reasons.

I was thinking to myself it must leave the pumps themselves in a hell of a mess if they’ve written off 5 cars and messed several more up - it’s not like they have they have a cow catcher or siderails. Then I started thinking, what if they rammed a car which caused it to move across their path instead of over to the wayside - they’d be lumbered.

I really should have realised they were bouncing or rolling the cars, not ramming them! :laughing:

I had this in Derby once, an earlyish delivery (7.30am) to a yard down a street with cars both sides. I’m stopped causing an obstruction, copper arrives and tells me to just carry on and any damage caused (and there was!) would be covered by the law. Took several mirrors off but never heard anymore about it.

Best one was back in the 60’s when Shand Construction from Rowsley were driving three earth scrapers down the old A1 from Durham to start the M10 St Albans bypass. All went OK until they reached Stamford High street, (the A1 passed through the town at that time) they had a Police ■■■■■■ and encountered an old Austin car parked outside a shop. Copper asks owner to move it, owner refuses until he finishes his shopping so the copper tells them to drive on. Three scrapers running over a pre-war Austin doesn’t leave much left to be swept up! :laughing:

Pete.

I used to work with a couple of retained firemen and they seemed to positively enjoy damaging peoples stuff when on a shout. I never parked near a hydrant after hearing their tea room tales.
They used to get away with speeding on a regular basis too. Cops see a speeding car and think they have a chase on, until said car pulls into the fire station. Cops drive off without a word.

AndieHyde:
I used to work with a couple of retained firemen and they seemed to positively enjoy damaging peoples stuff when on a shout. I never parked near a hydrant after hearing their tea room tales.
They used to get away with speeding on a regular basis too. Cops see a speeding car and think they have a chase on, until said car pulls into the fire station. Cops drive off without a word.

memo to self…next time i think im getting a pull…heavy pedal for the fire station :slight_smile:

Its only bad parking because you cant get access,irrespective of the fact that the offending vehicle was mostly likely not obstructing anything or anybody when it was left. Cant get in take the load back, simple.

Had to back the trailer wheels on somebody’s driveway to turn around,the other day…just as he was coming down the road.
He was not amused :laughing: