Law apply to lorry drivers only?

I had a big delivery in Tollcross road in Glasgow yesterday morning.

Off course there were cars parked in loading bay (double yellow lines + no parking at any time sign + loading by HGVs only sign) but traffic wasn’t to heavy, as it was saturday morning, so I just double parked and started to handball. (Crappy agency job, but nowadays I’ll take everything, especially @ 10.50 per hour). Maybe most cars hold at the one time were 8 or something, so not a big tragedy.

After some time (it was 3 pallets to barrow to the shop) police van came. The driver blocked both lines to tell me, that I can’t park like that. I told him that I know, but I can’t park in loading bay either, as there are cars parked on double yellow lines. He told me that he is not to discuss with me other driver’s behaviour but he just warning me that I can’t park like that and if I can’t I have just to cancell my delivery. I told him, that it’s only half pallet left and then I will be off of that place.

He came back soon, just after I was finishing closing my taillift. He told me, that he warned me and I refused to move, so he’ll fine me. I told him “and what about cars in loading bay?” He answered “They are not blocking the highway”. But i told him “But they are blocking loading bay created for reason. And reason is that I can park there and I can work without blocking the highway. And I can’t becouse of them”. He told me that he won’t be arguing with me - I am blocking the road and that’s the only thing he’s interested in. “I’ll come back in five minutes and I recommend you to be away from here” he finished and drive off.

I closed my tail lift and I moved about 100 metres forward and parked at the bus stop to wait for my driver’s mate, who was sorting the paperwork. Policeman came back again and he told me, that I am parked on the bus stop so he’ll isue a ticket for me. I told him that I would accept that ticket if he has put tickets on the cars in the loading bay, but as he told me that “he is interested only in vehicles blocking the highway” and I am not blocking the highway but the bus stop, what is the same class of offence as blocking the loading buy I will not accept the ticket. He went very angry, but he told me “you are lucky that I have no time for you” and drove away.

:unamused:

Orys - 1
Police - 0

Nice one mate, sounds like he was being an arse.

I would probably have made an official complaint that he was ignoring obvious law breaking and harrassing yourself

But thats just me

one word JOBSWORTH

it happens, its because were professional drivers they think we can perform miricles,

you should have parked next to the loading bay right next to the cars so they cant get out. serves them right for parking there.

i remember once in edinburgh somebody parked their car in a loading bay so i blocked them in, did my delivery which took half an hour then the driver started having a go at me cause he couldnt get out i looked at him and pointed at the sign and never said a word then i started getting all the fin and all that rubbish from him. then i told him i cant move for another 45 mins which boiled his blood even more. he eventually phoned the police but they didnt do anything as he was int he wrong and i didnt have any driving time to use at that point (just hit 4.5 hours)

ive had arguments with traffic wardens who want to ticket me cause i cant get onto the bay yet when you mention the cars int he bay and how you would like him to ticket them they arnt interested. hell i blocked alloa high street because folk had parked in the loading bays (was only in a sprinter van and had one big parcel to get in. had an arguement with the bank manager cause his bmw was in there and i had stopped him getting out (tuff luck pal) i also sat beeped the horn for a few minutes because somebody was coming out the loading bay but then stopped and decided to have a ■■■ and phone a friend. thats partly why i got out of doing multidrop.

i really dont have time for folk who park in loading bays except disabled people as you know folk also park in disabled bays who aint disabled.

Moral victory for Orys, but remember… nobody EVER won an argument with a police officer!

Sound like a typical Glasgow polis man to me :smiley:

had similar experiences with the old bill in Glasgow when I lived up there and was doing multidrop ,think its because its an easier nick for them rather than going after the neds

gogzy:
you should have parked next to the loading bay right next to the cars so they cant get out. serves them right for parking there.

That’s what I did…

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=pl&q … iwloc=addr

Here is that loading bay (in the shadow).

if your story is true,not hearing the polices side…is it any wonder why they get themselves a bad name.one word springs to mind.POWERMAD LITTLE HITLER WITH NOWT ELSE BETTER TO DO THAN PICK ON A GUY DOING AN ARD DAILY.
i never could count. :unamused: :unamused:

The reason why the police didn’t deal with the cars parked in the loading bay is that many (most?) councils have “decriminalised” the parking enforcement - basically, it is no longer the police’s job to issue parking tickets.

The job is now done by council employees, and this allows the council to keep the money from the fines (although I think it’s hypothecated for particular purposes).

The police are now only supposed to get involved if a real obstruction is being caused.

I’m not saying that it’s right, but that’s the way it is.

Incidentally, a lot of councils have a telephone number that you can ring to report illegal parking, so that their wardens can come out and ticket/clamp/tow vehicles.

orys:

gogzy:

That’s what I did…

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=pl&q … iwloc=addr

Here is that loading bay (in the shadow).

im surprised you never had the car drivers moaning at you. i get it every time i do it and everytime i ask them to read what the sign says or what it says on the ground then walk away once they have done that. ill be done when im done is the answer usually and im never in a rush. a job takes aslong as it takes tbh. last time i was employed full time i done my back in soo many times because iw as forced to rush round by other folk i was working with or there was just too much to do. glad i dont workt here no more though was more stress than it was worth.

gogzy:
]im surprised you never had the car drivers moaning at you.

The drivers of these cars didn’t turned up - I guess they may just live there and park under their window as this loading bay was long time not in use - that deliver was first delivery to the new established shop.

As for drivers on the road blocked by me, except of this policeman I heard only one horn honking at me.

not sure if anyone else has done this but on a regular drop i used to do a few years ago i got into many arguments with trafic wardens so 1 day after a argument i just got in and back truck into the parked cars and kept on going till i was off the road…the warden didnt really hang around…i left a note on every car i hit btw…saying dont park here again…strangly next week there was no cars in the loading bay…

jayeastanglia:
not sure if anyone else has done this but on a regular drop i used to do a few years ago i got into many arguments with trafic wardens so 1 day after a argument i just got in and back truck into the parked cars and kept on going till i was off the road…the warden didnt really hang around…i left a note on every car i hit btw…saying dont park here again…strangly next week there was no cars in the loading bay…

Please thell me this is true - cos thats fantastic

jayeastanglia:

LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHa

id try this but probably get shafted lol

yes is true…i got full back up from boss when i did it…in his eyes the cars were in the wrong place…next time a car is parked in the wrong place say to the manager of the store/loading bay “I will give you 5 mins to get the cars moved or i will” if he then replys he cant get them moved well you know what to do give him 2 options…1st say ok i will take the delivery back then…or 2 ok i will move them…a truck will move cars easily especially if they are in your blind spot :wink: a insurance company will also look at it as the car was in the wrong place and not parked safely…check your insurance for a car and it will state that you should ensure you park safely and not in someone elses way.

hahaha
amazing i wish i had a boss like yours.

how many times has it got to be said we are worse than dog mess If somebody walking their dog crapped in front of plod he would have done nought

I once done a drop In leith Walk in a back street… Got into the lane ok but couldnt get back out due to a car being dumped and left. Shop keeper got the traffic wardens involved, they couldnt do anything, called the police and all they could do was contact the registered owner but couldnt get hold of him or her so when the police went he took matters into his own hands and put a long sheet of ply onto his fork lift forks then proceeded to put them under the car and to by laughter he just lifted the car and stuck it at the otehr end of the street. Sure as christ I got away with the arning from him that I never seen anything, I agreed and was on my way,…

seen a farmfoods lorry stuck in dumfries once, the corner is really tight for an artic to get round!

and there was a car parked on the corner and the artic could’nt get the trailer round to miss it

guy called the police and they smashed the window and took handbrake off and moved it.

MrFlibble:
The reason why the police didn’t deal with the cars parked in the loading bay is that many (most?) councils have “decriminalised” the parking enforcement - basically, it is no longer the police’s job to issue parking tickets.

The job is now done by council employees, and this allows the council to keep the money from the fines (although I think it’s hypothecated for particular purposes).

The police are now only supposed to get involved if a real obstruction is being caused.

I’m not saying that it’s right, but that’s the way it is.

Incidentally, a lot of councils have a telephone number that you can ring to report illegal parking, so that their wardens can come out and ticket/clamp/tow vehicles.

Spot on. Police are not to deal with simple parking offences, it is to be dealt with by the Council parking wardens. My Force doesn’t even have Traffic Wardens any more…replaced by PCSOs.

However, if the loading bay is being obstructed by cars, then I would say the officer has the power to have them removed (towed/lifted) to prevent the trucker from having to block the road to deliver. But ultimately, it’s down to the individual officer as to how they deal with it.

You see Orys, you’re just coming across the wrong coppers! Come down to my patch and you’ll get treated with a bit of common sense!

Having said all that though, the law is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland…I only have police powers in England and Wales :wink: