Another silly snowflake question

I have an issue at one of my drops and wonder if someone could give me advice on what more i can do to avoid issues. I deliver to this place quite regularly since the start of the job. however, due to the foot path being widened and other covid issues i am having to reverse into the goods in area more and more rather than parking in the street, there is an entrance to a staff carpark that i can swing into opposite the entrance to the goods in. I then put hazzards on and obviously reverse lights and sound the horn (a couple of toots) and reverse back slowly. Due to walls/buildings and parked cars i cant see along the road im reversing across until i am well out and blocking it. once i am a foot or so from the barrier at the goods in im clear of the road but blocking the footpath. i then rush out and get the security to open the barrier ad then continue reversing into the goods in area.

99.9% of the other road users and pedestrians see what is happening and wait patiently however, the last 2 times i have ended up in a confrontation is there anything else i should be doing to make it safer as i am on my own so don’t have a drivers mate to see me across.

apoolagies for the whiny post but i am concirned that if this carries on i could be banned from site etc
many thanks
coop

cooper1203:
I have an issue at one of my drops and wonder if someone could give me advice on what more i can do to avoid issues. I deliver to this place quite regularly since the start of the job. however, due to the foot path being widened and other covid issues i am having to reverse into the goods in area more and more rather than parking in the street, there is an entrance to a staff carpark that i can swing into opposite the entrance to the goods in. I then put hazzards on and obviously reverse lights and sound the horn (a couple of toots) and reverse back slowly. Due to walls/buildings and parked cars i cant see along the road im reversing across until i am well out and blocking it. once i am a foot or so from the barrier at the goods in im clear of the road but blocking the footpath. i then rush out and get the security to open the barrier ad then continue reversing into the goods in area.

99.9% of the other road users and pedestrians see what is happening and wait patiently however, the last 2 times i have ended up in a confrontation is there anything else i should be doing to make it safer as i am on my own so don’t have a drivers mate to see me across.

apoolagies for the whiny post but i am concirned that if this carries on i could be banned from site etc
many thanks
coop

Ask someone (security) to help? If they refuse (quite likely) raise an issue at debrief with your company (hazard) though they might not do a lot. Who’s confronting you? Members of the staff? Managers? General public? Every time I’ve had to reverse onto/through a road I’ve gotten help from whoever I’m delivering to so just ask for help. Forklift driver, security, warehouse guys, shunters, good souls among all. Some a-holes of course but I’ve never had anyone refuse when asked for help. How helpful they actually are is a different matter, lol. Never take reversing directions from a non-driver is what I learned so far.

Get phone number of security when you are next there and from then on phone from the end of the road, that way security can open the gate as you arrive and keep an eye out as you back in.

If you get no cooperation with this solution, write a memo (keep a copy) for your transport manager that this delivery point has significant risk of accident and your efforts to make things safer have been met with refusal, that puts the ball firmly in your company’s court, should there be an incident in the future and your report has been ignored then that’s your defence at the disciplinary…nothing in writing? ‘we didn’t know there were any issues’ :bulb:

Don’t worry about upsetting impatient idiots though, by the time you’re up for retirment the 99% will be idiots with barely 1% have any common sense to their name.

Juddian:
Get phone number of security when you are next there and from then on phone from the end of the road, that way security can open the gate as you arrive and keep an eye out as you back in.

If you get no cooperation with this solution, write a memo (keep a copy) for your transport manager that this delivery point has significant risk of accident and your efforts to make things safer have been met with refusal, that puts the ball firmly in your company’s court, should there be an incident in the future and your report has been ignored then that’s your defence at the disciplinary…nothing in writing? ‘we didn’t know there were any issues’ :bulb:

Don’t worry about upsetting impatient idiots though, by the time you’re 45 not up for retirment the 99% will be idiots with barely 1% have any common sense to their name.

cooper1203:

many thanks
coop

You ain’t being a snowflake mate, and you certainly ain’t whining…, you’re acting as a pro driver should, noticing potential danger issues, and trying to counter act them to complete a safe manoeuvre in your vehicle. :sunglasses:

What I would do (if I thought there was any danger while getting in), is …

Park up safely, walk into delivery point and get one of their goods in staff or security to guide you in…not just some Herbert who happens to work there that you see first, who will guide you in to a balls up.
Then do as exactly as you have been.

Once you are in tell security there is a potential H&S risk issue that he needs to report …in other words, use all that crap to your advantage for a change…

If you still ain’t happy, and you know you’re going back tomorrow, tell your guvnor about it that it’s a pain in the arse to get into every night…or as matey says ‘Do a hazard de.brief’’ :smiley: …(or whatever tf that means in modern corporate crap language. :smiley: )

Well done sir, the steerers would not give a ■■■■, the drivers would. :bulb:

just ask someone to stand in the road stop traffic . i do and 99% of the time they will.
if they dont and you feel its to dangerous mention it to office. and refuse to next time for health safety reasons

All good advice. As already said unless it is another driver, ignore the “left hand down a bit” advice. A shout before you hit summat is enough. Even then, don`t be afraid to take a few seconds getting out to look yourself.

Franglais:
All good advice. As already said unless it is another driver, ignore the “left hand down a bit” advice. A shout before you hit summat is enough. Even then, don`t be afraid to take a few seconds getting out to look yourself.

That’s what I always say to farmers if I’m trying to get out of their yard that was designed for horse and carts…(even though they assured me on the phone prior to me arriving that there was plenty of room to turn around :smiling_imp: )
Watch me round, but ffs shout BEFORE I hit summet,.not after I’ve hit it.

robroy:

Franglais:

That’s what I always say to farmers if I’m trying to get out of their yard that was designed for horse and carts…(even though they assured me on the phone prior to me arriving that there was plenty of room to turn around :smiling_imp: )

Guess youve also had the "Youre the 3rd lorry to hit those gate posts" farmer?
Clever enough to count up how many times they`ve been hit. Not clever enough to move them a few feet.

Franglais:

robroy:

Franglais:

Guess youve also had the "Youre the 3rd lorry to hit those gate posts" farmer?
Clever enough to count up how many times they`ve been hit. Not clever enough to move them a few feet.

I’ve got into places on more than one occasion where the farmer has had to take gate posts and fences down in order for me to get back out. :unamused:

robroy:
I’ve got into places on more than one occasion where the farmer has had to take gate posts and fences down in order for me to get back out

Ohhhh. I believe you…

You`ll get better later.

Maybe :smiley:

robroy:
Watch me round

I once (just after I had started driving) asked a forkie to watch me going in from the main road. He literally just stood there and watched me. I felt something was wrong as I was creeping and creeping and creeping but still couldn’t see that other gate post in my n/s mirror so I went out myself and looked, sure I was 2in from it. I looked at him, bro why don’t you raise your hand or something? He just raised his shoulders…‘‘well, you can turn around down the road and try going in from the other side?’’ :unamused:

Hey Franglai I kid you not, the ■■■■ s will tell you anything to get their stuff, then panic when they see the size of the truck in their yards. :unamused:

robroy:
Hey Franglai I kid you not, the [zb] s will tell you anything to get their stuff, then panic when they see the size of the truck in their yards. :unamused:

When I was contracted to the local electric company we used to take plant and equipment out to farms for an upgrade or a new install.

I did a job a couple of years ago near Stalbridge, Dorset - got there early with the new transformers and such like. Had to wait as the farmyard had an artic flat bed in it, just finished unloading a sectional building.

How the guy got it in there and screwed it round looked almost impossible. Turning in off the road would have been hard work and after that it got worse.

Lancashire firm if I remember - older guy.

Would that have been you, Rob? Per chance.

Socketset:

robroy:
Hey Franglai I kid you not, the [zb] s will tell you anything to get their stuff, then panic when they see the size of the truck in their yards. :unamused:

When I was contracted to the local electric company we used to take plant and equipment out to farms for an upgrade or a new install.

I did a job a couple of years ago near Stalbridge, Dorset - got there early with the new transformers and such like. Had to wait as the farmyard had an artic flat bed in it, just finished unloading a sectional building.

How the guy got it in there and screwed it round looked almost impossible. Turning in off the road would have been hard work and after that it got worse.

Nah, Curtainsider/■■■■■■■■ firm/young looking guy. :wink: :laughing:

robroy:

We get it all ways. Sometimes its the same type of customer: "Big uns all the time, bring it in"
Sometimes the client will request for a van to collect. Our office might say “New job…be careful…”
Then if we squeeze up the lane, its "Stop by the gate and use your pallet truck and tail-lift".....What tail lift? Google is brilliant. Doesnt stop all the ■■■■-ups, but it helps a lot.
But, this is what makes life interesting. Couldnt be doing with RDCs all tghe time. And having nowt to moan about would be awful. Im not about to tell the boss that when I ask for a rise though.

robroy:

Socketset:

robroy:

Nah, Curtainsider/■■■■■■■■ firm/young looking guy. :wink: :laughing:

Ok Rob, two out of three ain’t bad :smiley: :smiley:

“We’ve had bigger wagons than that in here,pal.”

Some of the places you get some muppets tell you can fit a ship there. I once had this bloke shouting at me there was enough room.Along came his missus in a Range Rover she actually scratched the car. His look was a sight.