What's the biggest story you've heard

I love you

Bet there’s one or two on here heard that one :angry:

syramax:
I love you

Bet there’s one or two on here heard that one :angry:

Ya cheque in the post.

You can earn £800pw.

It’s surprising how many ex sas and ex paras go on to driving trucks. I ended up talking to a driver at Tesco goole a couple of weeks ago who was a millionaire and was hoping for a quick tip because he was meeting his mate to lend him 50k. Didn’t look like he had money. His clothes looked like they hadn’t been washed for weeks and he wasn’t much cleaner himself. Then when he stood up his keys and wallet were on the seat next to him one of which was a 2000ish Ford key like I used to have for my mondeo. Hardly the car of a millionaire

mm1988:
It’s surprising how many ex sas and ex paras go on to driving trucks. I ended up talking to a driver at Tesco goole a couple of weeks ago who was a millionaire and was hoping for a quick tip because he was meeting his mate to lend him 50k. Didn’t look like he had money. His clothes looked like they hadn’t been washed for weeks and he wasn’t much cleaner himself. Then when he stood up his keys and wallet were on the seat next to him one of which was a 2000ish Ford key like I used to have for my mondeo. Hardly the car of a millionaire

He was using his sas training to blend in,and not look out of place, hence the scruffs, and camo chalk(whoops dirt) on his face.

There’s one chap where I work now must be late 20’s maybe early 30’s, loves telling me about all the trips he used to do into Russia. Apparently taking “nuclear engines” in on low loaders making a mint. He owned his own house outright by the age of 22 off the back of that and now does general haulage to pass the time.

There’s another at my last place who apparently used to have a villa in Spain and a house here, drive a range rover and all the other embellishment I stopped listening to well before this point. He now lives in his transit van parked outside my old place of work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

alte hase:
Well, to put things into perspective, I am the 1951 Canadian born son of [married] parents who were English and German, so I am prepared to believe what might be regarded as ‘not the norm’. But gullible? I’m not so sure… So you judge -when I tell you about this man who claims his Father was Russian, his mother was Spanish and he was born on a boat afloat in Spanish waters. Then subsequently he is raised in Norfolk [England] as a UK citizen. He claims to own property in Norfolk and a villa in Spain, he has been married three or four times and has EIGHTEEN children, his current wife is Spanish -and blond [strange, or what?]. He drives a Porsche, that he turns round on the electric turntable at his Spanish villa; villa and turntable are solar powered.
In search of belief of his claims, and what I consider to be the considerable costs of supporting them, I’m supposed to accept his wealth is derived of being an owner driver, with just the one 700bhp Volvo tractor unit. I’ve not met him in person so I’m not able to judge his account of himself by facial expressions or tone in voice, or by his accent. Although the internet affords him the opportunity to put photos of his Volvo unit on-line he doesn’t appear to be willing, and, in all honesty, I’m not that willing to believe his story line. So, what would you believe? And bear in mind that at the time of his birth many would say that both his parents’ countries were [and many would say ‘‘still are’’] hostile to Britain. As a case of UK citizenship this man’s claims puzzle me.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Nicely put :wink:

Harry Monk:
I was once sat talking to a driver who told me about all the trips he had done to Russia. At this point I had been there numerous times myself but could see some mileage in this bloke so I didn’t let on. He started telling me about what it was like crossing the border from Germany into Russia and I thought “Er, what happened to Poland and Belarus?” :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re just a very large boarder control area Harry.

Heard a few recently, including tipping in Spain on Thursday and being home for tea on Friday, he had a fast truck you see. I ignored the fact I overtook him on the way to the RDC we were at and that I know his company doesn’t go to Spain.

I’ve also met the 20 stone super soldier, not only having a distinguished career in the special need- erm I mean forces he was also in the Foreign Legion for many years. I’d have loved to hear more but he went quiet after I asked him a few things in French and he didn’t have a clue what I was saying or what a matricule was.

For all you wannabes, if you’re going to walt it up as a legionnaire at least learn French.

Its all good fun and harmless banter. Travellers have always spun yarns to each other. They are just modern day ■■■■ and Bull stories, named for a staging inn where people met and past the time whilst the horses were being attended to.

Franglais:
I’ll swear some people live in a paralell universe: they tell impossible stories, but actually believe in them themselves.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Then they get elected President of USA or as wet blanket aka UK PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheUncaringCowboy:
For all you wannabes, if you’re going to walt it up as a legionnaire at least learn French.

Parlez vous Francais?

kr79:

alte hase:
Well, to put things into perspective, I am the 1951 Canadian born son of [married] parents who were English and German, so I am prepared to believe what might be regarded as ‘not the norm’. But gullible? I’m not so sure… So you judge -when I tell you about this man who claims his Father was Russian, his mother was Spanish and he was born on a boat afloat in Spanish waters. Then subsequently he is raised in Norfolk [England] as a UK citizen. He claims to own property in Norfolk and a villa in Spain, he has been married three or four times and has EIGHTEEN children, his current wife is Spanish -and blond [strange, or what?]. He drives a Porsche, that he turns round on the electric turntable at his Spanish villa; villa and turntable are solar powered.
In search of belief of his claims, and what I consider to be the considerable costs of supporting them, I’m supposed to accept his wealth is derived of being an owner driver, with just the one 700bhp Volvo tractor unit. I’ve not met him in person so I’m not able to judge his account of himself by facial expressions or tone in voice, or by his accent. Although the internet affords him the opportunity to put photos of his Volvo unit on-line he doesn’t appear to be willing, and, in all honesty, I’m not that willing to believe his story line. So, what would you believe? And bear in mind that at the time of his birth many would say that both his parents’ countries were [and many would say ‘‘still are’’] hostile to Britain. As a case of UK citizenship this man’s claims puzzle me.

Can this chap find his way round Europe no problem but needs to ask for directions for every week for jobs in England

Plus 1 :wink:

mm1988:

I met a few very rich people over the years, probably millionaires, but wore the scruffiest clothes imaginable and drove around in some right old crappers (probably had rollers, bentlys at home).
One in particular was very ‘hands on’ and didn’t mind getting covered in dirt, grease etc, so there may be an element of truth in the above.
The difference is the blokes I met never mentioned about being loaded.

alamcculloch:
Its all good fun and harmless banter. Travellers have always spun yarns to each other. They are just modern day ■■■■ and Bull stories, named for a staging inn where people met and past the time whilst the horses were being attended to.

These pubs are still there in Stoney Stratford, the ■■■■ on one side and the Bull on the other.
Legend has it that a story told in one pub gets repeated in the other but spiced up a bit.

alamcculloch:

You learn something every day!

The guy in his tractor unit with a long 100ft concrete beam on the rear with a split steeerable dolly run by a lister twin, who would drive the truck around the roundabout, tie the steering wheel atraight ahead and put it in crawler then run to the back and start the lister and steer the bogie around the roundabout.

He also had a Z1000 that would pop a wheelie at 140mph!

Cant remember his name but it was at Turners Norwich depot about 30 odd years ago.

Drempels:

alamcculloch:

Although that explanation is in itself a ■■■■ & Bull tale, invented by the locals in more modern times. The true etymology of the phrase goes back even further in history.

Roymondo:

Drempels:

alamcculloch:

Although that explanation is in itself a ■■■■ & Bull tale, invented by the locals in more modern times. The true etymology of the phrase goes back even further in history.

Not sure I believe any of these stories now :smiley:

Regularly did a trailer change during the night at Pontefract in the early 2000s with a lad from Simpson’s of Tyneside. He owned two supermarkets and drove nights “for something to do”. As you would…
Also, when I was on the Argos in Corby, we regularly had a trunker in who owned a hotel in the Dominican Republic but was over here taking care of some other business interests and drove nights to keep his hand in. As you would…
Another time, in an RDC waiting room, a driver was regaling everyone with how he’d had a wife AND girlfriend on the go for 25 years. I must have sighed a bit too loudly at one point because he demanded to know what my problem was. He didn’t like it when I said I couldn’t believe that even one woman would want to spend the night with him even once, let alone two women over a 25 year period.

I was talking to a very nice polish agency driver at knauf immingham today , he’s passed his test 4 months ago and he was telling me that the company were so desperate for drivers he was getting paid £127 pw on top of his wage as a bonus for driving for them , he also said some were getting £127 per day on top of there daily pay , at the time I couldn’t stop laughing , I mean £127 per shift on top of your wage , but do you know what it wouldn’t suprise me :exclamation: :exclamation: