What was he thinking ?

The-Snowman:

Magicmikew:
No way would I have been on that footpath as a cyclist. There are lampposts, a bus stop, postbox, overhanging branches and leaves on the ground.

Aw diddums.
You shouldn’t be on the footpath anyway

Magicmikew:
If someone has to slow down to 15mph (average speed of a cyclist in UK) then so be it.

If thats your attitude, dont get bent out of shape when someone performs a dodgy overtake

And it’s attitude like yours and the driver in the video give us truck drivers a bad name.
When I’m on a bike I ride defensively because of idiots like you. And if you read my post you would see I do pull over when there is a suitable overtaking spot (not like in the vid)
When I’m in a truck I would slow down a bit and wait for the right spot to overtake(not approaching a roundabout on a narrow road)

Franglais:
The rule book exists because some people are too ■■■■ foolish to think for themselves. This driver is a prime example.
“Cut someone a bit of slack”? Yes, OK, but this isnt a case of a bit of a slight misjudgment IMHO, its a pure fool.

I’ll have to agree to disagree then. I just see a driver who made a mistake not someone who is a fool.
But this is the world we live in now everyone wants cameras everywhere at all times.
Remember this one time I tried to go all the way round a mini roundabout I knew I couldn’t get round it without a shunt or two but there were no cars nearby so I went for it. Before I completed the manoeuvre there was at least 2 people recording it… Seriously like WTF.
If anything happens on the roads, streets or town centres the first thing people do is get their cameras out and it makes the job horrible. Here is YT video on trending: youtube.com/watch?v=tPwuLLL64HM take note at the amount of people watching the performance through their phones.
World is going mad.

Maybe we agree and I’m not articulating it well… I don’t know…
If I was behind him I would of thought what a prat and probably used a few choice words but he certainly doesn’t deserve to lose his job over it due to some prick uploading it online which will probably happen.

adam277:

Franglais:
The rule book exists because some people are too ■■■■ foolish to think for themselves. This driver is a prime example.
“Cut someone a bit of slack”? Yes, OK, but this isnt a case of a bit of a slight misjudgment IMHO, its a pure fool.

I’ll have to agree to disagree then. I just see a driver who made a mistake not someone who is a fool.
But this is the world we live in now everyone wants cameras everywhere at all times.
Remember this one time I tried to go all the way round a mini roundabout I knew I couldn’t get round it without a shunt or two but there were no cars nearby so I went for it. Before I completed the manoeuvre there was at least 2 people recording it… Seriously like WTF.
If anything happens on the roads, streets or town centres the first thing people do is get their cameras out and it makes the job horrible. Here is YT video on trending: youtube.com/watch?v=tPwuLLL64HM take note at the amount of people watching the performance through their phones.
World is going mad.

Maybe we agree and I’m not articulating it well… I don’t know…
If I was behind him I would of thought what a prat and probably used a few choice words but he certainly doesn’t deserve to lose his job over it due to some prick uploading it online which will probably happen.

HHmmm Are you a Christina Aguillara fan?
:smiley:
Guess we do disagree, I have that truck driver down as an impatient fool. You dont. I dont think that camera phones really come into the argument about his driving abilities, but agree that it seems some people would rather post an incident (or non-incident) online rather than help out. I won`t defend that attitude either.

Not saying this is the case here, but an underlying cause of poor class 2 driving is often down to workload pressures.

I freely admit to speeding around far too much during my P&H days. Often did 15-20 drops per day, and if I didn’t drive it like I stole it, I would never of got back home at any kind of sensible hour.

Given the same job again I would simply slow down and take some stock back to the depot. If that meant getting binned then so be it, but as a new driver at the time being given a chance, I rather sefishly cracked on. I’m sure I ended up doing a few stupid overtakes, not a good reflection in all honesty.

The whole industry needs a real good looking at in my view.

Magicmikew:
And it’s attitude like yours and the driver in the video give us truck drivers a bad name.
When I’m on a bike I ride defensively because of idiots like you. And if you read my post you would see I do pull over when there is a suitable overtaking spot (not like in the vid)
When I’m in a truck I would slow down a bit and wait for the right spot to overtake(not approaching a roundabout on a narrow road)

Attitude? Its common sense if you’re meandering along at 15mph with a “so be it” attitude then someone at some time is going to get ■■■■■■ off and pass you where they shouldn’t.
It’s attitudes like that that make everyone hate cyclists. That and your blaise attitude to cycling on the footpath. You don’t convey the attitude of a considerate cyclist. You say youd pull in but nothing youre writing makes that anything other than words. You come across as one of those arrogant, self-entitled ones who thinks he owns the road and the pavements and its everyone else’s responsibility to keep out of his way.

Incidentally, Please point out which part confused you into thinking it was me who would perform the dodgy overtake? You seem awfully convinced I meant me.

adam277:
How did he put the cyclist life in danger he didn’t tell him to get the bicycle… :grimacing:

Seriously though it looks worse then it really is. Driver was aware of cyclist goes for overtake little fiat decides fudge you your on my side of the road and tries to force driver back to his lane.
That being said I paused the video at the closest point between him and the cyclist and he was at the closest about 1m away from him maybe even 1.5m which is the recommend minimum distance.

Hardly life threatening after all just a case of a poorly timed overtake.

The problem is the infrastructure is not fit for purpose. Can we not put cyclists back on the pavements?

I always do my best to push them back onto the pavements,poxy cameras stop me doing a proper job.

adam277:
Most British roads can not support cyclists safely. What confuses me the most is when they do cycling down these narrow little country lanes that are NSL 70mph with loads of sharps bends.

Most British roads can support cyclists safely IF the other road users are prepared to co- operate with them. As HGV drivers, we know that we are barely tolerated by car drivers who make stupid manoeuvres all the time (e.g. cutting across us, passing with inches to spare on their mirrors). Cyclists have to put up with that from cars and trucks, buses, etc.
I know in this mad world of our’s, where everything must be done by yesterday, that it is a big ask for a change of attitude but it is possible (for some people at least.)
I sometimes choose to cycle on country lane because of the fresh air and scenery. They tend not to be as busy as other roads because they are generally not the quickest route for most motorists because they do have to slow down from the NSL (60mph for cars btw) because of the sharp bends! Unlike some other cyclists I will pull over and stop if I feel I am unduly slowing other traffic down, likewise when I am in my car or a truck I will be fairly patient with cyclists, horses and pedestrians who also choose to use these lanes for the reason I’ve stated.
I find that I have far fewer near misses on this kind of road than normal A-roads, dual carriageways and urban roads, where (if you don’t stay away from the kerb) some people think that passing with only inches (and sometimes mm) to spare. Some people will carry on like this until they cause serious damage, injury and death

Franglais:

adam277:

Franglais:
We may well argue about which of the above rules the driver has broken, but can we all agree he`s an unthinking fool?

I disagree completely.
I once tried to jump a fence almost made it but my foot got caught so I landed face first on the pavement.

Was I stupid? Hell yea. I’d argue that although I did something stupid I shouldn’t be made to walk around with a dunce cap on for the rest of my life.
This is essentially what you and others here are arguing for. He made a mistake and in my view not even a massive one and a lot of you want him stripped of his licence and banned from driving for life(or words to that effect).

The highway code is open to interpretation and is imperfect, the roads we use are far from perfect and often inadequate particularly for the vehicles we drive. So we often have to use are own judgement and interpretation to decide whats best to do. A split second of not concentrating can often lead to an accident.
If you agree that humans should be allowed to drive a vehicle then you have to accept that mistakes will happen and cut people a bit of slack.

Also here is a intresting thought.
That Lorry giving plenty of room for the kid on the bike (far too much imo leaves room for some numpty to try and undertake him)
What if someone say a BMW owner saw this and said Fudge you, your on my side of the road I’m going to speed up so you cant complete your overtake. (I see drivers do this in London a lot)
Most British roads can not support cyclists safely. What confuses me the most is when they do cycling down these narrow little country lanes that are NSL 70mph with loads of sharps bends.

Overtaking approaching a junction, no sightline of traffic entering from a nearby junction, not much chance of completing the overtake before the roundabout…No need to hang him, but I wont say a single word in his defence. (And I havent previously said anywhere that he should be banned for life or anysuch)
“(far too much imo leaves room for some numpty to try and undertake him)”? How should we drive in your world? If we see a cyclist should we follow them to prevent a fool crashing into them? We should responsibly, and not assue all other drivers are saints, but we aint a protection force. An oncoming car accelerating to cause an issue? None here, but so what? Using a second example of a bad driver doesnt make this one less of a fool does it?
British roads are like all roads, they are totally neutral, they take no lives. Bad drivers or bad cyclists take lives.

I think your forgetting that the notice for the roundabout was er right on the roundabout. Given it was right under trees hardly visible much in advance was it? This is a growing issue with muppet local authorities, hiding signs in foliage, even happening on motorways ffs. So it is possible the truck driver didn’t see it and the car driver didn’t help either turning out with a slow moving cyclist and large vehicle aproaching. Good chance of the truck overtaking. Whilst still a crap but of driving (rigid drivers often are) it is more complex than first it sems imo.

Roundabout badly signed? Maybe, but if the driver couldn’t see a ckear road to do the overtake he shouldn’t have started it, so he can’t have looked far enough ahead can he. Seems to me the car enters the road from a curve off the roundabout, and as soon as he can see the truck approaching on his side of the road he stops to avoid a collision.
That’s how I see it, anyhow.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Roundabout badly signed? Maybe, but if the driver couldn’t see a ckear road to do the overtake he shouldn’t have started it, so he can’t have looked far enough ahead can he. Seems to me the car enters the road from a curve off the roundabout, and as soon as he can see the truck approaching on his side of the road he stops to avoid a collision.

+1

peterm:

Franglais:

+1

Me too!

No cyclist was hurt during the making of this video.
Everyone did as they should, resulting in an injury free (very frikkin minor) incident.
Apart from the Fiat driver who was being a little bit adventurous and wasn´t anticipating having a problem.

I don´t understand all the animosity towards the driver going on here. This sort of thing happens every single day, thousands of times, all over the world… He was giving plenty of room, he saw a problem, he braked and stopped, then carried on when all was good.

What is the problem?

steviespain:
I don´t understand all the animosity towards the driver going on here. This sort of thing happens every single day, thousands of times, all over the world… He was giving plenty of room, he saw a problem, he braked and stopped, then carried on when all was good.

What is the problem?

You’ve only been a member for a few weeks so you don’t know yet just how much drama can be made out of a minor incident when a video gets posted on this site.
As for the animosity towards the driver, you’ll soon get to realise just how many perfect, never do any wrong, drivers frequent this site who feel it their duty to rip someone else’s driving to shreds because it doesn’t meet their own impecibly high standards.

The-Snowman:

steviespain:

What is the problem?

You’ve only been a member for a few weeks so you don’t know yet just how much drama can be made out of a minor incident when a video gets posted on this site.
As for the animosity towards the driver, you’ll soon get to realise just how many perfect, never do any wrong, drivers frequent this site who feel it their duty to rip someone else’s driving to shreds because it doesn’t meet their own impecibly high standards.

Fair points Mr S, thanks.

And I must remember that I´m not a proper driver either, just a Class 2 :slight_smile:

steviespain:

The-Snowman:

steviespain:

What is the problem?

Fair points Mr S, thanks.

And I must remember that I´m not a proper driver either, just a Class 2 :slight_smile:

That’s right know your role. Now leave the real driving to us class one knights of the road :sunglasses: :laughing:

obviously the cyclist has already been holding back the driver (as they do).
the drivers went for the 1st available overtake possible due to fannyman holding him back.
the aforementioned lycra queen should have braked immediately on realising he was delaying other road users and being overtaken,
he didnt as is the usual self righteous attitude normal with said mangina clad knobs,hence he is a complete wazzock as if he had,then trucky could have overtaken with less drama and no inconvenience to all. :slight_smile: