Whos at fault here?

This is very local to me. So he crossed on a red but the driver was speeding so what does you all think m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-27137639

I know some people will disagree with this but I think the sentence was a bit harsh considering the accident wouldn’t have happened if the cyclist hadn’t jumped a red light.

Having said that, after reading this article in the western Morning News it’s hard to sympathise with the driver who appears to have been driving like the sort of idiot driver most of us hope we’ll never meet on a road.

If he’d been doing 40 (THE SPEED LIMIT !) there’s a good chance they wouldn’t have been in the same place at the same time or he might have avoided the Guy on the bike.
Guilty as Charged, 5 years Jail.

Both got what they deserved imo. Cyclist stupid for riding across a pedestrian crossing on red when a truck is hurtling towards him and the trucker was speeding, texting on the move and clipping kerbs. No sympathy for either of them if those are the true facts of the matter as per the article.

Left hand down!:
Both got what they deserved imo. Cyclist stupid for riding across a pedestrian crossing on red when a truck is hurtling towards him and the trucker was speeding, texting on the move and clipping kerbs. No sympathy for either of them if those are the true facts of the matter as per the article.

A bit harsh on the deceased !
Maybe the cyclist made a mistake or an error of judgement, but the driver was blatantly speeding & otherwise distracted with texting.

martinviking:

Left hand down!:

Maybe the cyclist made a mistake or an error of judgement, but the driver was blatantly speeding & otherwise distracted with texting.

Cyclists go through red lights all the time, so I highly doubt it was “a mistake or error of judgement”. This time it didn’t work out for him and he paid the price with his life. Perfect example of Darwin’s Law to me.

after reading this

“It was an obvious risk that Mr Moore would not stop. Had you been driving carefully and at the right speed the impact could have been avoided and Mr Moore would still be alive.”

it is also fair to say the same if this…

David Moore, from Shirehampton, was hit last July on his 31st birthday in Avonmouth, as he crossed a pedestrian crossing on red.

…had not happened

sorry, but, no sympathy for either of them, it is about time that cyclists realise that they do not have the right to go through red traffic lights, and it is also about time that they were made to pay a penalty for their ‘crime’, not necessarrily by death though, i do think that is a little harsh

but, if they get hit whilst jumping a red light, that is their fault

Left hand down!:

martinviking:

Left hand down!:

Cyclists go through red lights all the time, so I highly doubt it was “a mistake or error of judgement”. This time it didn’t work out for him and he paid the price with his life. Perfect example of Darwin’s Law to me.

Agreed, but as Professional Drivers, we should be looking out for these ‘Early Forms of Life’

tachograph:
I know some people will disagree with this but I think the sentence was a bit harsh considering the accident wouldn’t have happened if the cyclist hadn’t jumped a red light.

Having said that, after reading this article in the western Morning News it’s hard to sympathise with the driver who appears to have been driving like the sort of idiot driver most of us hope we’ll never meet on a road.

Im sorry… BUT SENTENCE A BIT HARSH! ■■? He was doing 51 in a 40! He had clipped the kerb! He sent text messages during the journey! Do we class him as a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER? No… ■■■■■■■■ and he gets everything he deserves!

lightning:

tachograph:

Im sorry… BUT SENTENCE A BIT HARSH! ■■? He was doing 51 in a 40! He had clipped the kerb! He sent text messages during the journey! Do we class him as a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER? No… [zb] and he gets everything he deserves!

are you saying that you have NEVER done any, if not all, of the above?

yes, it is fair to say, if he had not been speeding, the accident would not have happened

but, it is also fair to say, if the cyclist had not jumped the red light, the accident would also not have happened

why does it always have to be the lorry drivers fault?

I have speeded on Open roads, yes. But a 40 limit not a chance. I was hit by a car in my younger days whilst out running and it stopped me getting to be the best in my age - in the country. So I know first hand the consequences! And as for my phone, well that goes onto silent, and does not get a reply if im texted till I stop. Driving is a job. You cant drive without a licence…

lightning:

tachograph:

Im sorry… BUT SENTENCE A BIT HARSH! ■■? He was doing 51 in a 40! He had clipped the kerb! He sent text messages during the journey! Do we class him as a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER? No… [zb] and he gets everything he deserves!

He was convicted of causing death by careless driving based on the fact that he was speeding at a time when a cyclist failed to observe a red light and also presumably failed to look at what was going on around him.

As I said I don’t have much sympathy because of his general driving standard, but 14 months for an accident that was as much, if not more, the cyclists fault seems a bit excessive in my opinion.

I hope this wont turn into a cyclist bashing thread, but when people fail to take care of their own safety they have to accept the consequences, sadly in this case the consequences for the cyclist were fatal.

I concur about the cyclist not looking after his own safety. But what would the result have been if the lorry was doing 40 on the dot, and the cyclist had still crossed? Possibly he may of survived, but at least the driver of the truck would have been complying with the law - in terms of his speed. He wasn’t so the rest is history. Is 14 months in clink for that too harsh. I dont think so… its 12 months max with good conduct.

lightning:
I concur about the cyclist not looking after his own safety. But what would the result have been if the lorry was doing 40 on the dot, and the cyclist had still crossed? Possibly he may of survived, but at least the driver of the truck would have been complying with the law - in terms of his speed. He wasn’t so the rest is history. Is 14 months in clink for that too harsh. I dont think so… its 12 months max with good conduct.

ok, to turn your argument the other way around, what if the cyclist had been complying with the law and the driver had still been speeding?

the cyclist would still be alive

not trying to get in to the cyclist bashing, but, neither of them were whiter than white in this accident

if the cyclist had survived the incident as it was, would he have been prosecuted for jumping the red light?

probably not

it always is the fault of the driver

There are some very vague details in that article. It gives no location, and leaves me puzzled. If the cyclist jumps a red pedestrian light, where is the lorry, if he hasn’t jumped it too, or is it a set of main lights and not actually a set of pedestrian lights. As for the texts and clipping the kerb earlier in the journey, they should not come into it. The facts portrayed are, the lorry was speeding and the cyclist jumped a red light. On those grounds he should have got a suspended sentence imho.

Having re read the article, the only thing I can think, is that the article is poorly edited and the cyclist was actually crossing the road on a red pedestrian light, which the lorry failed to stop for. It’s the only logical conclusion I can muster up, and if is the case, the driver received a very light sentence as speeding through a red light is more dangerous than careless

the cyclist went through the red light, which would have put a green light for the driver, regardless of what type of red/green light it was

OVLOV JAY:
Having re read the article, the only thing I can think, is that the article is poorly edited and the cyclist was actually crossing the road on a red pedestrian light, which the lorry failed to stop for. It’s the only logical conclusion I can muster up, and if is the case, the driver received a very light sentence as speeding through a red light is more dangerous than careless

Says in the second article that the driver had right of way, which means it was the red man not red light

Waco:

OVLOV JAY:

Says in the second article that the driver had right of way, which means it was the red man not red light

yes, but, that still makes no difference, if the cyclist had obeyed the lights, he would still be alive, regardless of the speed the driver was going

cyclists jump red lights all the time, whether they be crossing lights or main traffic lights, they still jump them, some die as a consequence of their actions, some are fortunate to survive and be stupid another day

OVLOV JAY:
It gives no location,

I’m 99% sure it happened at St.Andrews Rd, Avonmouth at the lights where you turn right for Asda, Accolade Wines etc, those that don’t know it it’s a very busy straight 4 lane road with no central resevation.