Think Bike

Think bike lads cos bikers don’t think, well some don’t.

youtube.com/watch?v=vek4lN4_z20

youtube.com/watch?v=KHZZW9noWEA

Neither of those videos were even close for the biker, total over-reaction by the trucker …slow moving traffic, the bikers knew exactly where the truck was … nothing to see there im afraid

rockape2620:
Neither of those videos were even close for the biker, total over-reaction by the trucker …slow moving traffic, the bikers knew exactly where the truck was … nothing to see there im afraid

Agreed for the first one, for the second one that bike rider is a prat.

I’m a biker too. I’ve been riding bikes for over 30 years, the same as I’ve been driving trucks and cars, so I do have an idea.

Video 1: Not good riding practice as that’s a left filter lane, but if done slowly, would be OK. Coming up on the offside would have been better. But then you have the risk from oncoming traffic.
Video 2: What a prat. No further comment

Drive safe
Paul

rockape2620:

Interesting view on two cases of illegal undertaking by bikers.

I like riding my bike a lot more than I like driving my truck.

When I’m out on the bike, I like trucks because :

1. They’re predictable.
  2. I know almost exactly what they’re going to do next.
  3. I can confidently make my maneuver knowing I’m unlikely to die in the process.

I can’t see a problem with the first vid, I probably do that every time I ride. The second vid? Hmmm. Life expectancy measured in hours I think.

To be honest, the 1st vid is probably ok, sure it’s the nearside and passing on the nearside isn’t a great idea, but it’s also a full lane rather than squeezing up the outside with oncoming traffic, suits who decide the laptop they put in the boot is now urgently required, truckers throwing coffee / cigarettes etc out of the window etc.

2nd vid looks really bad, but I’ve done worse, and I’ll hold my hands up to it. Everytime I go to get on my bike, I have the best intentions, but something just changes as I put my helmet on and start it up and I become an instant tool. Some of the things I’ve done, I can’t believe I’m still alive, yet I’ve repeated some of them even though I know I was lucky to survive the 1st time.
I did a ‘defensive’ riding course back in 2003 to get insurance on my bike to be a courier, and it completely changed my riding and my driving too, but I still do some really daft things at times and the amount of times I’ve been down a country road in a truck and a tractor’s pulled out and I think ’ just last Sunday I was doing about 80mph 'round that corner on my bike :open_mouth:

1st vid not that big of deal but biker could and should of done his lifesaver as truck could of sped up, as biker and bikers out we all do stuff out there like that not much big of deal for confident rider. Being a trucker and biker its alot easier to predict what gona happen.

2nd vid just plain stupid would never see me do that on my bike. If im in truck on roads like that and see biker in my mirror i always edge white line to left give them some space on right to make easier for them to see upfront and safely pass and always get a thank you nod or thumb as you all know when they get impatient stupid things happen and leads to not very nice scenario

As a biker the first video no problem whatsoever. Second video, biker is the type of prat that gives the rest of us a bad name.

I’m surprised so many think that the first video of undertaking a truck on a roundabout using the wrong lane on his blindside is OK. What the 1st video can’t show is the star of the second video exited the roundabout next to my trailer axles on the nearside trying to undertake.
Do some bikers not notice that trucks sometimes have blowouts and some even turnover on roundabouts.
Always great to hear other opinions though.

iangam:
Do some bikers not notice that trucks sometimes have blowouts and some even turnover on roundabouts.

I’m sure they do, but the actual risk factor (i.e. chance of that happening in that place at that time) is pretty ■■■■ low.

As a biker and a truck driver I’m more concerned about diesel spills and errant cage drivers on roundabouts.

As knight says, some bikers give the rest of us a bad name; ditto for truck drivers.

Somewhat typically impatient of the 2 wheeled fraternity, the latter insanely so. Was it a race or just keeping up with their mates? Isn’t taking a filter lane and then not going in that direction illegal (certainly is if a red stop light is involved)? If someone took the wrong lane and had a resulting accident thus, wouldn’t they be most at blame?

iangam:
I’m surprised so many think that the first video of undertaking a truck on a roundabout using the wrong lane on his blindside is OK. What the 1st video can’t show is the star of the second video exited the roundabout next to my trailer axles on the nearside trying to undertake.

Seeing as you can’t show it and so we couldn’t see it, and you haven’t mentioned it till now, we wouldn’t have said anything about it. Like you, we are truck drivers, not mind readers. If we were that good at reading minds, we would be making loads of money doing that, rather than driving bloody great trucks around.

In the first video, although the maneouver is illegal, there appears to be a completely empty lane. A bike has phenominal acceleration, he could see where you were going, he had plenty of time to do it because however hard you try, you wouldn’t be able to accelerate fast enough to close that gap. You didn’t have the speed to roll over. Therefore it was reasonably safe to go for it.
The second video shows a prat being a prat, you say he was a prat while you were shooting the first video too. You were therefore forwarned that you had a prat on a bike on yer arse.

iangam:
Always great to hear other opinions though.

You were not going to roll over at the speed you were doing, with a wagon and drag car transporter. The likelyhood of a blowout just at that moment is fairly slim.

Some bikers are idiots and they wonder why they get knocked off, yesterday I witnessed a bike go between an artic that was overtaking another artic, a gust of wind etc and they would of been strawberry jam.

Do you guys think your invincible or something?

Simon:

iangam:
I’m surprised so many think that the first video of undertaking a truck on a roundabout using the wrong lane on his blindside is OK.

In the first video, although the maneouver is illegal, there appears to be a completely empty lane. A bike has phenominal acceleration, he could see where you were going, he had plenty of time to do it because however hard you try, you wouldn’t be able to accelerate fast enough to close that gap.

It’s got nothing to do with undertaking because ‘if’ the biker had been going where he was ‘supposed’ to be going in that lane it’s no different to going straight on or left past something turning right at a junction.

That’s why they seperate the directions of traffic at roundabouts to stop traffic coming into conflict with each other.The acceleration of the bike makes no difference he’s still supposed to be in the correct lane and take the correct course for it.It’s not the speed of the truck that ‘almost’ certainly did put the bike in an accident situation in that video it’s the direction that both vehicles are going in that matters.It can be a Cobra or a superbike but speed and acceleration isn’t going to get anyone through a door that’s closing in their face because they’re going in the wrong direction on a roundabout opposed to a truck at the side of them that is.

The fact is it doesn’t matter how fast the thing is or wether it’s a bike or a car the rules of the road apply the same to everyone and those rules are there for everyone’s safety.It doesn’t take a genius to realise that the approach to that roundabout isn’t suitable for overtaking and it needs to approached correctly according the directions that the different lanes should be used for.

Snudger:
Somewhat typically impatient of the 2 wheeled fraternity, the latter insanely so. Was it a race or just keeping up with their mates? Isn’t taking a filter lane and then not going in that direction illegal (certainly is if a red stop light is involved)? If someone took the wrong lane and had a resulting accident thus, wouldn’t they be most at blame?

In an ideal world that’s how it should work and it should be all the blame not most of it.But allowing for the vagaries with which the law enforcement lot might see it that idea might not always be the case.I could foresee the driver’s defence going along those lines and the motorcycle traffic copper who’s first on the scene might possibly see it as you should have seen him and you obviously weren’t thinking bike. :open_mouth:

Personally I don’t think either bikers maneouver was that clever and as has been said both were illegal. I’m sure that I would have waited in both situations.
But at least biker 1 had a bit of room around him, can’t comment as to where he was before the roundabout as we can’t see that.

It’s easy to tar another road user group as idiots or nutters, as truck drivers you should all be aware of that and what average car driver thinks of you.
Many bikers like many truck drivers are sensible and like many truck drivers they know far more about using the road and are far more aware of whats going on around them than many car drivers.

iangam:

I never worry about them anyway, i’m sure they’re all big enough to look after themselves. Leave 'em to it i say !! i never ‘think bike’, thats their job they’re on one.

Carryfast:

iangam:
I’m surprised so many think that the first video of undertaking a truck on a roundabout using the wrong lane on his blindside is OK.

Simon:
In the first video, although the maneouver is illegal, there appears to be a completely empty lane. A bike has phenominal acceleration, he could see where you were going, he had plenty of time to do it because however hard you try, you wouldn’t be able to accelerate fast enough to close that gap.

It’s got nothing to do with undertaking because ‘if’ the biker had been going where he was ‘supposed’ to be going in that lane it’s no different to going straight on or left past something turning right at a junction.

That’s why they seperate the directions of traffic at roundabouts to stop traffic coming into conflict with each other.The acceleration of the bike makes no difference he’s still supposed to be in the correct lane and take the correct course for it.It’s not the speed of the truck that ‘almost’ certainly did put the bike in an accident situation in that video it’s the direction that both vehicles are going in that matters.It can be a Cobra or a superbike but speed and acceleration isn’t going to get anyone through a door that’s closing in their face because they’re going in the wrong direction on a roundabout opposed to a truck at the side of them that is.

The fact is it doesn’t matter how fast the thing is or wether it’s a bike or a car the rules of the road apply the same to everyone and those rules are there for everyone’s safety.It doesn’t take a genius to realise that the approach to that roundabout isn’t suitable for overtaking and it needs to approached correctly according the directions that the different lanes should be used for.

Yea yea yea, same old Carryfast.
You carry on in your dream world.
We’ll carry on in the real world, where not everyone follows the rules all the time.

Mike-C:

iangam:

I never worry about them anyway, i’m sure they’re all big enough to look after themselves. Leave 'em to it i say !! i never ‘think bike’, thats their job they’re on one.

So following your logic, do you think when you see a truck ‘he’s in a truck so ■■■■ him, it’s his job to watch out as he’s driving it?’ Then just carry on in your own world? If you drive a truck with that mentality mate, you’ve a lot to learn about good driving and road craft.