WH Malcolm to fit driver facing cameras

Conor:

Roverman:
Easy fix though.

Every driver only has to not go into work next Monday/Tuesday and problem solved.

Ball’s in your court WHM employees…

On Monday morning your seat is filled with agency. Plenty of agency at this time of year sat around doing nothing. By Tuesday agency drivers have demonstrated just how much you’re dragging the job out when drivers who’ve never ever worked at WHM manage to do the job just as well but in less time. By Friday the company has saved so much money on fuel and wages that they start writing out job offers to the agency and dismissal notices to the employees.

WH Malcolm are one of the biggest haulage companies in the UK with around 800 drivers, so where are they going to find all these “agency” drivers? Unfortunately you and your take it right up the ■■■ attitude is part of the problem.

Conor:

Juddian:
Presumably the small army of managers involved right up to the Chairman will lead the way by having their very own CCTV camera pointed at them for every second of their working day

Other than the toilets most already do. CCTV throughout a building is a normal part of a company’s security.

What, each manager with their own personal CCTV aimed at their sole workstation and/or company car.
Don’t think so.

Most vehicle now have one or more external facing cameras, and the more the merrier, as with most CCTV systems they are general cameras, individual cameras tend to be pointed at tills or other similar points and they do indeed protect both the company and employee, but almost no other employees, apart from brainwashed drivers who’ve swallowed the nothing to fear if you do nothing wrong indoctrination speech have cameras pointed solely at them for their whole working day.

Conor:

Roverman:
Easy fix though.

Every driver only has to not go into work next Monday/Tuesday and problem solved.

On Monday morning your seat is filled with agency. Plenty of agency at this time of year sat around doing nothing. By Tuesday agency drivers have demonstrated just how much you’re dragging the job out when drivers who’ve never ever worked at WHM manage to do the job just as well but in less time. By Friday the company has saved so much money on fuel and wages that they start writing out job offers to the agency and dismissal notices to the employees.

Yeh, correct,… they used to be commonly known as ‘Scabs’ :bulb: …fellow workers taking over from those who are astute enough to stand up for themselves against injustices, and who are willing to take their jobs.

Granted, many drivers do ‘Hang the job out’ yeh, but on the other hand many more run like their arses are on fire, and spoil a job for those who run safe and sensibly…you’re right, firms love the former more than they do the latter.

So it is not always an either or, or an exact science.
What IS an exact science though, is Divide and Conquer. :bulb:

Conor:

Roverman:
Easy fix though.

I admire this view you have of agency drivers (doubtless wearing their underpants on the outside, and with a flowing cape on their shoulders) showing just how lazy the full-timers have been all these years. In my experience it simply doesn’t happen that way - to a man our agency drivers make a shift last more or less 12 hours (even if it was planned as a realistic 9 or 10 hours) because, being hourly paid, it suits them better to do that. Our office staff face a constant battle to keep the agency drivers’ hours under the WTD limits, while having no such issues with the full timers…

Rowley010:

robroy:

Rowley010:
What’s the problem with them?

They actually helped out a driver at my place when a member of the public reported him saying he was on his phone whilst driving at this time on this date. Company downloaded the footage from the driver facing camera and saw that he wasn’t.

Why not give them a chance? They may actually prove your innocence one day.

Oh ffs. :unamused:
At least you’ll be ok Rowley, being a boss’s dream and all that.
I may have to take back what I said about you on your ‘Awesome driver’ thread, when you thought my post was aimed directly at you.

Anyway, just to turn my attention to the NON brainwashed for a sec :unamused: …Are they constant/random surveillance or the ‘Incident only’ ones that go off with harsh braking or collision etc■■?

I’m not brainwashed rob. I can just see the value in something that can prove me innocent under false accusations. I’m not part of the it’s new so it crap brigade.

The prime objective Rowley for any type of camera in a cab is detrimental to the driver, and NOT for your benefit which they all try and tell you, and people like you readily ■■■■ up.
Also for every driver that actually benefits from one on the odd occasion, there are a hundred who do not.

So then we get the inevitable answer to that which I am not going to repeat but that answer usually only comes from the brainwashed, the apathetic, and the spineless aka those responsible for getting all this sh off the ground in the first place.

At least the firms are happy, because they have a work force of robots and yes men, because the drivers with a brain of their own, who’s professionalism has been compromised has ■■■■ ed off.

2nd standard answer…
All firms will have then in x no. of years well by that time I’ll be sat on a beach somewhere well away from it all hopefully. :slight_smile:

Ha Ha just like the tacho…for your benefit ,what the hell does anyone want a camera poked in his face all day for and why would a prick want to look at it.No I would be off,I am 70 now so this sort of thing is nothing for me to worry about,I was a driver 45 years and had they had them when i first started I would not have even gone for a test drive…give them the boot

robroy:

Rowley010:

robroy:

Rowley010:

They actually helped out a driver at my place when a member of the public reported him saying he was on his phone whilst driving at this time on this date. Company downloaded the footage from the driver facing camera and saw that he wasn’t.

Oh ffs. :unamused:
At least you’ll be ok Rowley, being a boss’s dream and all that.
I may have to take back what I said about you on your ‘Awesome driver’ thread, when you thought my post was aimed directly at you.

Anyway, just to turn my attention to the NON brainwashed for a sec :unamused: …Are they constant/random surveillance or the ‘Incident only’ ones that go off with harsh braking or collision etc■■?

I’m not brainwashed rob. I can just see the value in something that can prove me innocent under false accusations. I’m not part of the it’s new so it crap brigade.

The prime objective Rowley for any type of camera in a cab is detrimental to the driver, and NOT for your benefit which they all try and tell you, and people like you readily ■■■■ up.
Also for every driver that actually benefits from one on the odd occasion, there are a hundred who do not.

So then we get the inevitable answer to that which I am not going to repeat but that answer usually only comes from the brainwashed, the apathetic, and the spineless aka those responsible for getting all this sh off the ground in the first place.

At least the firms are happy, because they have a work force of robots and yes men, because the drivers with a brain of their own, who’s professionalism has been compromised has [zb] ed off.

2nd standard answer…
All firms will have then in x no. of years well by that time I’ll be sat on a beach somewhere well away from it all hopefully. :slight_smile:

Unless you can enlighten me Robby, the only way that a camera can not benefit a driver is if he or she is doing something wrong and they don’t want to get caught doing it.

Roymondo:

Conor:

Roverman:
Easy fix though.

I admire this view you have of agency drivers (doubtless wearing their underpants on the outside, and with a flowing cape on their shoulders) showing just how lazy the full-timers have been all these years. In my experience it simply doesn’t happen that way - to a man our agency drivers make a shift last more or less 12 hours (even if it was planned as a realistic 9 or 10 hours) because, being hourly paid, it suits them better to do that. Our office staff face a constant battle to keep the agency drivers’ hours under the WTD limits, while having no such issues with the full timers…

Whenever i went somewhere as an agency bod i’d try to find a proper driver or two and ask them how long a particular job should take and what the score was generally, then i’d make sure the job lasted longer (as i’m a new boy), but then i was taught not to carve someone’s regular job up from the start.

[/quote]
WH Malcolm are one of the biggest haulage companies in the UK with around 800 drivers, so where are they going to find all these “agency” drivers? Unfortunately you and your take it right up the ■■■ attitude is part of the problem.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
surely all these agency drivers are either going to be working flat out max hours elsewhere fully booked every week just now coining it in,or they are all still lying on the thai beaches spending their £700+ per week wages and wont be available till at least the start of april?
isnt that the way the limpers work on here?.. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rowley010:

toonsy:

Rowley010:

Sounds like your company were keen to hang someone out to dry?

Did they not ask the accuser of any evidence first and foremost?

Keen to hang someone out to dry? Or maybe they were just being a responsible company and taking an allegation of a driver being on his phone whilst in control of artic seriously and properly investigating it.

Look I don’t know the ins and outs. I just know that a driver was immediately proved innocent because of the cameras. Now is that such a bad thing?

I actually don’t have an issue with cameras. I used to drive coaches and some of them had over 20 cameras inside and outside.

But…

They also had a recognised system for viewing the cameras. There had to be a reason, approval, a paper trail and they were not a drop in feed. Everything was stored in HD on a hard drive on the vehicle and a drive couldn’t be viewed without approval and only for a certain limit either side of an alleged event.

The reason for that was to stop people with the ability to do so using them against people to suit an agenda. To stop abuse of power.

If theres a reasonable framework for it then I wouldn’t mind, viewed historically, them. You’re going to be caught doing something wrong aren’t you? So why have a drop in feed? Theres zero need for that.

Rowley010:
Unless you can enlighten me Robby, the only way that a camera can not benefit a driver is if he or she is doing something wrong and they don’t want to get caught doing it.

So you also subscribe to the ‘‘If you’re doing nothing wrong’’ side of the track Jakey, why does that not surprise me eh? :unamused:

Unlike you and your buddy, I have human failings, I ain’t perfect, :open_mouth:
I do things whilst driving that will undoubtedly be interpreted as ‘‘wrong’’ by the pointy shoed new generation of management.
However doing something that they consider ‘wrong’ is not necessarily doing something ‘dangerous’, …that is open to opinion and interpretation. :bulb:

An example of ■■■■ up due to cameras…
I often have a long loud noisy exaggerated yawn, now these yawns are usually followed by…well nothing, non events. :neutral_face:
But imagine going through my yawning routine, and something happens, that in REALITY yhat has zero connection to it,
… eg. Some ■■■■ pulls out in front of me, or cuts me up and I hit him :open_mouth: …, Well that interpretation I’m on about sure as hell is not going to go MY way, and if said ■■■■ is dead, I’m in Durham nick, after hearing the Judge’s words ‘Driver fatigue’ and ‘Driving whilst tired’ ringing around my swede, where as , if no camera, I would not have been. :bulb:

Ok, it’s a random type unlikely example granted, but being that I am a big supporter of self preservation, I am totally against any type of camera.
Does that enlighten you enough?

toonsy:

Rowley010:

toonsy:

Rowley010:

Sounds like your company were keen to hang someone out to dry?

Did they not ask the accuser of any evidence first and foremost?

Keen to hang someone out to dry? Or maybe they were just being a responsible company and taking an allegation of a driver being on his phone whilst in control of artic seriously and properly investigating it.

Look I don’t know the ins and outs. I just know that a driver was immediately proved innocent because of the cameras. Now is that such a bad thing?

I actually don’t have an issue with cameras. I used to drive coaches and some of them had over 20 cameras inside and outside.

But…

They also had a recognised system for viewing the cameras. There had to be a reason, approval, a paper trail and they were not a drop in feed. Everything was stored in HD on a hard drive on the vehicle and a drive couldn’t be viewed without approval and only for a certain limit either side of an alleged event.

The reason for that was to stop people with the ability to do so using them against people to suit an agenda. To stop abuse of power.

If theres a reasonable framework for it then I wouldn’t mind, viewed historically, them. You’re going to be caught doing something wrong aren’t you? So why have a drop in feed? Theres zero need for that.

As far as I’m aware that’s how my company operates theirs. A planner who’s got an issue with a particular drivers has not authority to access footage to try and find some dirt on them. They are only viewed if there is an incident or serious enough allegation. I’d personal say driver on phone is a serious enough allegation to investigate. I’d hope all companies would…probably not though.

robroy:

Rowley010:

So you also subscribe to the ‘‘If you’re doing nothing wrong’’ side of the track Jakey, why does that not surprise me eh? :unamused:

I do things whilst driving that will undoubtedly be interpreted as ‘‘wrong’’ by the pointy shoed new generation of management.
However doing something that they consider ‘wrong’ is not necessarily doing something ‘dangerous’, …that is open to opinion and interpretation. :bulb:

I often have a long loud noisy exaggerated yawn, now these yawns are usually followed by…well nothing, non events. :neutral_face:
But imagine going through my yawning routine, and something happens, that in REALITY yhat has zero connection to it,
… eg. Some ■■■■ pulls out in front of me, or cuts me up and I hit him :open_mouth: …, Well that interpretation I’m on about sure as hell is not going to go MY way, and if said ■■■■ is dead, I’m in Durham nick, where as , if no camera, I would not have been. :bulb:

Ok, it’s a random type unlikely example granted, but being that I am a big supporter of self preservation, I am totally against any type of camera.

Come on any decent company that’s worth working for isn’t after catching you out on mistakes. They just want to be able to see the whole picture and the truth when they absolutely need to. Unfortunately, and this may come as a shock to you, but some drivers will tell porkies.

You just carry on believing that Rowley, you usually swallow everything they tell you, where as me I ain’t half as naive and 3 times as streetwise mate. :wink:
If you can’t see the truth yet, you ain’t been in the job long enough, despite your ‘years of experience’ you told us about.

robroy:

Rowley010:

… eg. Some ■■■■ pulls out in front of me, or cuts me up and I hit him :open_mouth: …, Well that interpretation I’m on about sure as hell is not going to go MY way, and if said ■■■■ is dead, I’m in Durham nick, after hearing the Judge’s words ‘Driver fatigue’ and ‘Driving whilst tired’ ringing around my swede, where as , if no camera, I would not have been. :bulb:

Wake up please. Just because someone calls you Robby, don’t presume it’s me.
Something else I did not comment on and I am getting grief. :wink:

Rowley010:

robroy:

Rowley010:

… eg. Some ■■■■ pulls out in front of me, or cuts me up and I hit him :open_mouth: …, Well that interpretation I’m on about sure as hell is not going to go MY way, and if said ■■■■ is dead, I’m in Durham nick, where as , if no camera, I would not have been. :bulb:

Come on any decent company that’s worth working for isn’t after catching you out on mistakes. They just want to be able to see the whole picture and the truth when they absolutely need to. Unfortunately, and this may come as a shock to you, but some drivers will tell porkies.

This may come as a shock to you but some companies tell lies too especially when it comes to getting rid of employees they don’t like, if they didn’t then would be no need for employment tribunals as all company’s would be operating within employment law.

No I know that as well. However, they clearly find something on the driver they can sack em for otherwise they should be taken to a hearing at a tribunal.

robroy:
You just carry on believing that Rowley, you usually swallow everything they tell you, where as me I ain’t half as naive and 3 times as streetwise mate. :wink:
If you can’t see the truth yet, you ain’t been in the job long enough, despite your ‘years of experience’ you told us about.

I’m not naive. Maybe just because I wasn’t driving in these good old times that I hear so much about my opinion is different. And that’s my opinion, I’ve no issue with the camera. And yes I do have the if I do nothing wrong I’ve nothing to worry about attitude. If the company eventually use that to twist something and get rid of me then it’s no loss to me I’ll go and work for someone else.

Sorry Jakey, my mistake. :cry:
It just shows your new buddy is getting more and more like you every day, and like a lot of old couples merging into one. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Just mark his card will you, …You are the only one allowed to call me ‘Robby’ :laughing:

Rowley010:

robroy:

I’m not naive. Maybe just because I wasn’t driving in these good old times that I hear so much about my opinion is different. And that’s my opinion, I’ve no issue with the camera. And yes I do have the if I do nothing wrong I’ve nothing to worry about attitude. If the company eventually use that to twist something and get rid of me then it’s no loss to me I’ll go and work for someone else.

Like I told you yesterday with your type of attitude you’ll go far in your career as a modern driver…(it may be not a happy career but it’ll be your own doing.)