We've received a request for info on a Dodge chassis

I’ve received a request for an engineering drawing or a tech spec, preferably with pictures, so can anybody help please?

The vehicle concerned is a Dodge 500 series, the model designation is K1050

The vehicle in question started life in 1969 as a 4 X 2with a large overhang, then it was shipped to New Zealand where an enterprising chap then had a tag axle added, making it a 6 X 2.

After the end of its useful life, the truck got parked in the corner of a yard and lay forgotten for years, but now the original owner’s son wishes to do a complete restoration of his Dad’s truck, but the chassis is rotten. :frowning:

I’ve just secured an original workshop manual, but there’s a lack of info on the chassis which is where the knowledgeable folks in this forum come in… :smiley:

Edited to add pictures…

This pic is of the plate (presumably?) added by the people who fitted the tag axle.

I believe this is the original plate:

IMG_1402.JPG

So now we know it’s defo a 500-K1050.

Here’s a few bits and bobs.

Click on pages twice to read.

dodge 3.PNG

Interesting reading about the 500 series and thanks for posting. I don’t think I have a photo of Dads tipper anywhere. New in 1966 with a 6.354 and an Eaton 2sp axle. It must have been quite a good cab for local work. Where the ■■■■■■■ V6 engines any good? Was the V8 similar to that in the Ford D series?

I’d imagine the chassis tapers down towards the front ? If it was me I’d chop it off behind the cab get 2 new lengths folded and join it .

DEANB:
Here’s a few bits and bobs.

Thanks very much DEANB, this is great info and pics. :smiley:

DEANB:

Thanks very much again DEANB, more great stuff!! :smiley:

I’ve just edited my OP to include a couple of pics so we’re on the right track. :smiley:

Thanks again chaps, please keep any more useful nuggets coming.

essexpete:
Interesting reading about the 500 series and thanks for posting. I don’t think I have a photo of Dads tipper anywhere. New in 1966 with a 6.354 and an Eaton 2sp axle. It must have been quite a good cab for local work. Where the ■■■■■■■ V6 engines any good? Was the V8 similar to that in the Ford D series?

Hello Pete,

Heres a clipping that mentions the 6.354 engine was reliable. :wink:

Click on once to read.

DEANB:

essexpete:

Hello Pete,

Click on once to read.

Thanks! I read the expected life between major overhaul was 100k miles. Does not seem much by todays standards. I have a 6.354 in a JCB excavator. I don’t think it has been apart but it smokes a bit and I reckon in a truck it would be down on ponies.

essexpete:

DEANB:

essexpete:

Hello Pete,

Click on once to read.

Thanks! I read the expected life between major overhaul was 100k miles. Does not seem much by todays standards. I have a 6.354 in a JCB excavator. I don’t think it has been apart but it smokes a bit and I reckon in a truck it would be down on ponies.

That was quite good for a diesel of that size back then, we had Bedford, Ford and BMC diesels expire long before 100k! One Bedford had three engines in twelve months, and I remember fitting two engines into a BMC FJK without it actually leaving the workshop as both overheated on pressure test. Perkins did a plan where you sent them your old engine and they sold you a factory renovated one, many operators did that to save downtime. Even Gardner advised removing the cylinder heads every 48,000 miles to regrind the valves and remove carbon.

Pete.