Western Transport - Bristol

This lot has been quiet for a while, all up the road I suppose!!
Re the cafes, I remember the Sunset at Penkridge, last time I went passed it was a Quick Save, what about the Hollies on the A5?
The green hut on St Andrews road in Avonmouth is another one long gone (I think it was Bob Lewis who swung a 40 ft around by there one day & took the wooden bus shelter down) I suppose those around the Dock gate in Avonmouth are all gone now.
Reading through some earlier posts of names from the past I was sorry to see that Danny Wellman had passed away, a really nice lad. The other name that caught my eye was George Jenkins. A happy New Year to all.

Now I’m going back a bit now, but around, I think 1953, I got to know a chap, Rodney Thomas who drove for WT. He was based in London, but I can’t see any reference in these pages, to there being a Western Transport depot in the metropolis. At the time I met him, he had a Leyland Octopus with the 680 engine, and was on the night trunk to Bristol. Am under the impression it was Silvertown or Stratford he worked out of, but anyway, he claimed to have a taxi business, and a young wife ! Was only about 15 at the time, and wanted to ride about the country on lorries. He gave me a lift one Friday night from the cafe at the far western end of the Colnbrook by-pass, (can’t recall the name now, maybe Jock’s) to Bristol, and on another occasion, picked me up the top of Brislington Hill, and dropped me off on the A4 at Heston, (no M4 then !) where I could catch a number 120 bus back home to Southall. Happy days…

Uncle Ray to Malcolm Buck “Malcolm, are you going to do some work…or go on nights”

Malcolm’s reply “I’ll go on nights then Ray!!”

One of the best jobs I ever had…you couldn’t script it.

Tommy Hoskin, a true gentleman. Undermined when they amalgamated Contract Hires workshop with Avonmouth. Alan Bennett (seven fingers) - a gem.
Mr Hunt, hope you are well. You won’t believe I’m living in East Yorkshire now.

Alan Long (1986-1990)

Hermit:
Now I’m going back a bit now, but around, I think 1953, I got to know a chap, Rodney Thomas who drove for WT. He was based in London, but I can’t see any reference in these pages, to there being a Western Transport depot in the metropolis. At the time I met him, he had a Leyland Octopus with the 680 engine, and was on the night trunk to Bristol. Am under the impression it was Silvertown or Stratford he worked out of, but anyway, he claimed to have a taxi business, and a young wife ! Was only about 15 at the time, and wanted to ride about the country on lorries. He gave me a lift one Friday night from the cafe at the far western end of the Colnbrook by-pass, (can’t recall the name now, maybe Jock’s) to Bristol, and on another occasion, picked me up the top of Brislington Hill, and dropped me off on the A4 at Heston, (no M4 then !) where I could catch a number 120 bus back home to Southall. Happy days…

Hermit,

Could the name be Weston Transport Ltd,I feel sure I used to backload with them after tipping at Tooley St??

Too far back really,!!!

David :smiley:

No, definitely Western Transport, green livery. Can’t remember there more than one wagon per night, but 60 years on, the departure from Jock’s Cafe, still fresh in the mind !

Wireon:
Re the cafes, I remember the Sunset at Penkridge, last time I went passed it was a Quick Save, what about the Hollies on the A5?
The green hut on St Andrews road in Avonmouth is another one long gone (I think it was Bob Lewis who swung a 40 ft around by there one day & took the wooden bus shelter down) I suppose those around the Dock gate in Avonmouth are all gone now.
Reading through some earlier posts of names from the past I was sorry to see that Danny Wellman had passed away, a really nice lad. The other name that caught my eye was George Jenkins. A happy New Year to all.

Hi just come across this on the tinterweb.
Re Reg Johnson. I don’t see Reg anymore but I used to run out of WT Warrington for many years, running down to Avonmouth/Western Ice ect.
I bought a Scania 111, (Arthur Gregery’s I think), then a 142. I remember going to Namur in Belgium in a new WT Scania 113 and meeting up with Mike Hale.
Some of the guys from Warrington are:
Jim Dawson, Mike Fisher, Danny Wellman, Frank Newton, my dad Arthur Hayes…and me Steve Hayes!
Remember me to any of the guys, sadly I have lost touch with everyone now!

Hi Steve , Remember you & all the rest from Warrington including your Dad, (that was a long time ago). I live in Spain now so don’t come across any of the old hands from Avonmouth apart from Dave Parkin (my Brother in law) I did see ■■■■ Helm a couple of weeks ago.
A lot of the lads have gone now, The Captain, Bob Lewis, Art Gregory all gone.
Like you I bought my Scania off Western & had a couple of years til Magsy got rid of me & Andy Spearing, worked on a few UK firms after that then went more or less full time on the Continent.
Nice to know you are still around !!!
Roy Baylis

I worked with both Jonny Lambert and George Milner at Stirlands they’ve both sadly passed away now top blokes mind you most Stirland drivers were most gave 30 years plus service it was a great firm to work for

mangolusso:

Wireon:

Hi just come across this on the tinterweb.
Re Reg Johnson. I don’t see Reg anymore but I used to run out of WT Warrington for many years, running down to Avonmouth/Western Ice ect.
I bought a Scania 111, (Arthur Gregery’s I think), then a 142. I remember going to Namur in Belgium in a new WT Scania 113 and meeting up with Mike Hale.
Some of the guys from Warrington are:
Jim Dawson, Mike Fisher, Danny Wellman, Frank Newton, my dad Arthur Hayes…and me Steve Hayes!
Remember me to any of the guys, sadly I have lost touch with everyone now!

Welcome Steve (I was just about to turn in and spotted your name) I’ve put a few posts on here and you get a couple of mentions (this is Dave, Pete Birchams office boy!) I was talking to Jimmy Dawson a few weeks ago in Lidl (on the site of the old GL Baker in Latchford) and he was wondering what you was up to. Did you know that Danny Wellman had passed away a while back (the big C unfortunately) and I haven’t really seen much of anyone else for years (Oh by the way Mr Baylis, good to hear your dulcid South Eastern voice too and hope you’re keeping well in warmer shores) I have spotted Ian Egerton occasionally (the fitter) in Warrington and young (well he was back then but so was I) Aidan driving for poss Wincanton? A good while back I saw Tony Spruce on the agency, don’t know what he’s up to now. If you’re there Roy, do you remember a chap from Bristol called Paul Mountford (I worked at GL Baker Patchway for a bit…he spoke very UN highly of Mr Rudge!) keep in touch you lovely people :slight_smile:

Wireon:
Hi Steve , Remember you & all the rest from Warrington including your Dad, (that was a long time ago). I live in Spain now so don’t come across any of the old hands from Avonmouth apart from Dave Parkin (my Brother in law) I did see ■■■■ Helm a couple of weeks ago.
A lot of the lads have gone now, The Captain, Bob Lewis, Art Gregory all gone.
Like you I bought my Scania off Western & had a couple of years til Magsy got rid of me & Andy Spearing, worked on a few UK firms after that then went more or less full time on the Continent.
Nice to know you are still around !!!
Roy Baylis

Hi Roy, another name with such fond tells as if it was last week,
I think my problem apart from having Buckie as my memtor was not understanding the scams!!!

At least in Spain you can learn the lingo…a Bristolian in Yorkshire no chance

Take Care Alan Long

Here’s a picture of my restored Seddon Atkinson 401 in Stirlands colours

My 112,Western Ice Mercedes 1625 and Western transports 113 pulling Norfolk line trailers

Brian Pearces F10 and my 113 subbing for Western Transport

My Scania 113 delivering wood pulp to courtaulds Grimsby for Western Transport

Hi everyone, nice to hear there are a few of us left.
Sorry to hear about Danny Wellman. I would like to meet up with Jim Dawson as he was like a dad to me after my dad passed on.
I can remember one morning when I was on the VDB trunk to Avonmouth. I was in the staff canteen and Tony Maggs gave me a letter to give to my dad Arthur Hayes, (who had been dead 2 years then). Obviously not aware that one of his Warrington staff had died.

I tried to upload a picky of my truck but cannot get it to upload.
I will keep having a butchers on here and see if anymore are around.

Good luck in Spain Roy!
Regards,
Steve Hayes

Roy, I forgot to ask earlier, is Severn Beach caravan park still there? We used to frequent, severn beach and stop at “Captain Jacks Beachcomber Club”. Beer and strippers mainly.

Hiya…Steve,Arthur Gregory gave me a couple of pics of UAE267T ,he put that “Boden” badge on all his motors…when he retired he gave it to me (I’ve still got it and will never part with it cos he was such a great fella)…I heard the story when he was offered 267T new…Arthur do you want a new Scania?..No,I don’t want one of them bleedin things,I’ll keep me Mandator…its got a sleeper cab Arf…ohh alright then :smiley:

Roy coming through Avonmouth

I think Joe Hinds bought this one from WT

Bob Hodges gave me this pic…waiting to board a ferry

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Many thanks Bubbs. Ah the good old days.

Hiya,Nice shot of your 142 Steve,heres a couple of before and after photos,Cheers Bubbs, :wink: