Western tyres

Hi, just been re-reading some old truck mags, namely trucking international from october 1987.
Was wondering if western tyres ltd were still going as they featured on the front cover and had a decent article in this copy.

They had a smart f12 globie and a nice f88 too, at first I thought the f88 was the one that Davies int had?
When reading the article about the tyre business (buying/selling in bulk for remoulding etc) you get the impression that it is or was quite a hit and miss game? They seemed to have some good contacts on the continent though and it sounded like hard work loading unloading and generally all done by hand.

It ma be a daft question : are they still going?

Some great stuff in the old mags, proper trucks and proper writing too!

Cheers, harryvr6.

Western Tyres are still going. I see a couple of silvery blue FHs on the M4 every now and then.

Cheers
Neilf

Hi Neilf, good to hear they are still going. I must admit I thought that with all the legislation in place nowadays that perhaps the business wouldn’t have survived. They only had two trucks back in 87 when the article was written, so they’ve done really well by the sounds of things!

Cheers, harryvr6.

They have quite a few trucks nowadays. I worked for their parent company wessex tyres for a while running out of the same yard. Brilliant place to work.

bristolron:
They have quite a few trucks nowadays. I worked for their parent company wessex tyres for a while running out of the same yard. Brilliant place to work.

Hi, good to hear this! The sons sounded like really decent people to work for from reading the article.
I wonder if their young sons (if I recall one of them was only 3 years old when the article was written) ended up taking over or working there?

Nice story of success then really western, sounds like they’ve survived and grown too. Thanks for the info, cheers harryvr6.