Weekly rest.

The Enforcer:
Reading the response posted by Maigret both points 1&2 are wholly incorrect.
You cannot “work” 144 hours between weekly rests.
Because weekly rests can occur over two adjoining fixed weeks they are not as stated governed by that fixed week, you do not have to show a weekly rest within a fixed week it must start no later than the end of the sixth 24hr period following the end of the last weekly rest.

Actually both points made by Maigret were spot on, it’s you who’s posting incorrect information.

The Enforcer:

1. The regulations clearly say you must start a new weekly rest period no later than six 24 hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest period, six 24 hour periods is 144 hours.
    (Please explain to us how six 24 hour periods does not equal 144 hours)

The Enforcer:
you do not have to show a weekly rest within a fixed week it must start no later than the end of the sixth 24hr period following the end of the last weekly rest

1. The regulations clearly state that in any 2 weeks (fixed weeks) a driver must have either 2 regular weekly rest periods or at-least 1 regular and 1 reduced weekly rest period, no-ones suggesting that a whole weekly rest period has to be shown within each fixed week but each fixed week must have a weekly rest period attached to it.
    (Please explain to us how that does not mean a week has to have a weekly rest period attached to it)

You have correctly said in more than 1 post that a weekly rest period that crosses 2 weeks can be counted for either but not both weeks, so explain how that would matter if as you say the only thing that matters is the six 24 hour periods.

Given the contradictory manner of your posts would I be right in thinking that you’re marsland with a different user name?

Dear Enforcer,

There are 2 different weekly rest requirements and you can breach them both. You have to comply with them both to be legal.

The 144 hour rule relates to the length of a Drivers maximum Working Week - the period of time between LEGALLY QUALIFYING WEEKLY REST PERIODS. In other words you can’t be active for more than 144 hours without taking a weekly rest period.

The legal length of the rest period required is then the 24/45 requirement which has been correctly established on here elsewhere. The 24/45 requirement applies to the FIXED WEEK - Monday through Sunday. Tachograph quite rightly outlines the “allowance” available if that weekly rest period should happen to cross the Fixed Week dividing line.

In reality, the 144 rule says when you have to take a rest by and the 25/45 rule says how much rest you have to take.

BTW - I am not incorrect. Debate is totally acceptable and should be encouraged but, if you are going to allege that people are incorrect, then enlightenment can be quite a painful process!

6x24hrs does indeed equal 144 hrs but that is not 144 hrs of “work” as you stated, they are just periods of time which could contain a variety of activities which are restricted by other rules including rest, which definitely is not “work”.
That statement was clearly wrong and dangerously misleading.

“Show at least 45hrs off somewhere in each fixed week”
If 144hrs have passed since my last weekly rest there are only 24hrs left in that fixed week so how can I possibly show I have had 45hrs rest, before it ends on Sunday “full stop”?
Basic maths makes your second statement incorrect.

I note in your response to me you have changed from what you said originally, that says it all really. :unamused:

The Enforcer:

tachograph:
The regulations clearly say you must start a new weekly rest period no later than six 24 hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest period, six 24 hour periods is 144 hours.
(Please explain to us how six 24 hour periods does not equal 144 hours)

I think maybe the two of you are missing each others point with this part…

The Enforcer is stating you cannot “work” for 144 hours which of course is correct, that would imply that you’d be working for 24hrs a day for six consecutive days, not only illegal but bloody impossible :laughing:

However: tachograph is correct that the “working week” is indeed a maximum of 144 hours (6 x 24hrs) , in other words the maximum amount of hours permitted between two weekly rest periods, it just doesn’t mention that of course daily rests are a part of that 144 hour total.

hth,

Tachograph.
Hopefully my previous response has made my point clear but just in case it hasn’t;

The words “work” & “periods” are not interchangeable they have very different meanings especially under the subject of drivers hours rules or legislation.

Showing two weekly rest periods in any two rolling weeks is not the same as showing a weekly rest period in every fixed week as the rest periods may span more than one fixed week.

I am not being contradictory for the sake of it I am merely contradicting or correcting incorrect and misleading information.

The Enforcer:
“Show at least 45hrs off somewhere in each fixed week”
If 144hrs have passed since my last weekly rest there are only 24hrs left in that fixed week so how can I possibly show I have had 45hrs rest, before it ends on Sunday “full stop”?

Now this might just be the way I’m reading this, but… is there a requirement that the whole of a weekly rest has to fit into (= within) the ‘week’?

I thought that a weekly rest can span either side of the point at which one ‘week’ becomes another and could be counted for either, but not both weeks?

I’m thinking that it’s hellish difficult trying to write this in clear way. :open_mouth:

No Dave, there is no requirement for the weekly rest to fit ‘within’ the fixed week

A weekly rest must be at least 1 minute in the fixed week that it is to be used for and a weekly rest can only be used once