Weekly Rest

I started last week on Tuesday coming off a weekly rest of 43hrs and had a weekly rest of 26hrs before starting again last night at 6pm. So I have to pay back the 2 hrs from the first one, can this be taken from the 26 hrs leaving a 24 reduced, and would that mean that my next weekly can be reduced too as the 43hrs one is now paid back?

No

I don’t even think what you’ve done so far is legal as you have had 2 reduced weekly rests in a row, and now you want do do 3?
Basic rule as I see it is this, You cannot take 2 reduced weekly rests in a row and a reduced weekly rests must be compensated for before another is taken.
I’m sure Rog will be along shortly with a more comprehensive answer and probably prove me wrong :smiley:

dreamingofoz:
Basic rule as I see it is this, You cannot take 2 reduced weekly rests in a row and a reduced weekly rests must be compensated for before another is taken.

Weekly must be compensated for before the end of the third week following, in one block, added to another rest period of at least 9 hours.

cupidstunt:
I started last week on Tuesday coming off a weekly rest of 43hrs and had a weekly rest of 26hrs before starting again last night at 6pm. So I have to pay back the 2 hrs from the first one, can this be taken from the 26 hrs leaving a 24 reduced, and would that mean that my next weekly can be reduced too as the 43hrs one is now paid back?

You can use two hours from the 26 to pay back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest period but that won’t allow you to have only a reduced weekly rest period this week.

In any two consecutive weeks you must have at-least one regular 45 hour weekly rest period, you had a reduced weekly rest period last week so you need a regular weekly rest period this week.

Paying back the compensation for a reduced weekly rest period does not make it a regular weekly rest period.

So the answer to your question is no.

dreamingofoz:
I don’t even think what you’ve done so far is legal as you have had 2 reduced weekly rests in a row, and now you want do do 3?
I’m sure Rog will be along shortly with a more comprehensive answer and probably prove me wrong :smiley:

There’s nothing to stop you having two consecutive reduced weekly rest periods, the rules state that:

• In any two weeks you must have either two regular weekly rest periods

Or

• At-least one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period.

In other words you must have a regular weekly rest period at-least every second week, but as long as you meat that requirement you can have as many reduced weekly rest periods as you like.

Also as has been said, compensation for a reduced weekly rest period should be paid back by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

cupidstunt:

The 2 hours payback can be taken with a daily rest so that leaves the 26 as is

Was the 43 rest for the week 24/8 to 30/8 or was it for the week 17/8 to 23/8 :question:

If the 43 was for the week 24/8 to 30/8 then what was the rest for the week 17/8 to 23/8 :question:

If the 43 was for the week 24/8 to 30/8 and a regular was taken for the week 17/8 to 23/8 then the next regular weekly rest must start no later than 2359 this coming sunday

If the 43 was for the week 17/8 to 23/8 and the 26 was for the week 24/8 to 30/8 then that is illegal :exclamation:

Thanks for the replies. Having looked at the regs again I think I have worked it out! I’ve never been in the position before of having to keep track of hours, in 17 years of lorrying! :laughing:

In answer to Rog the 43 hrs was taken 23/24 Aug and before that there was a 46hr on the 18/19th, the 26 was taken 30/31st. So as long as I take a minimum 45 within 6 days I’m ok, and then pay back the 19 owed from the 26hr before the end of the next week, or bolt it on to that weeks rest.

The bit of info I was missing was that no more than 2 reduced consecutively.

What was also cofusing slightly was that before the 26off I had taken 23 3/4 hrs off. Now if I had started work 1/4 hr later it would have been 24 but then I would have taken a 26 the day after too so 3 reduced in a row, or would you count the 24 as a daily rest rather than weekly? :confused:

You can have as many daily/weekly rests as you like mate. So long as any 2 rolling weeks contain 1 regular and 1 reduced weekly rest and all daily rest requirements are met you’re good to go.

cupidstunt:
Thanks for the replies. Having looked at the regs again I think I have worked it out! I’ve never been in the position before of having to keep track of hours, in 17 years of lorrying! :laughing:

In answer to Rog the 43 hrs was taken 23/24 Aug and before that there was a 46hr on the 18/19th, the 26 was taken 30/31st. So as long as I take a minimum 45 within 6 days I’m ok, and then pay back the 19 owed from the 26hr before the end of the next week, or bolt it on to that weeks rest.

The bit of info I was missing was that no more than 2 reduced consecutively.

What was also cofusing slightly was that before the 26off I had taken 23 3/4 hrs off. Now if I had started work 1/4 hr later it would have been 24 but then I would have taken a 26 the day after too so 3 reduced in a row, or would you count the 24 as a daily rest rather than weekly? :confused:

46 on 18/19 is a regular for the week 17/8 to 23/8
43 on 23/ 24 is reduced for the week 24/8 to 30/8
26 on 30/31 is reduced for no week at all so does not need paying back/compensating for
A regular weekly rest must be started by 2359 on sunday 6/9 for the week 31/8 to 6/9 to keep things legal