Wannabe South Wales trucker

Hi guys,
I am in my 30s and looking for a career change. Right at the beginning for me. Passed my medical today and sent my d2/4 forms off to DVLA Swansea.
Rewinding back 2 weeks, I jumped in to things and signed up with HGV experience on the phone, had all forms through the pos, read through them to find out they were charging me £4200 for my C class (medical, theory and cox provision, booking theory, cpc tests, practical lessons and test fee, along with linking me up with manpower to find work).
After quick realisation I was getting robbed, I cancelled it.

I plan to book things individually, as I done with my theory (booked through Big Wheelers in Cardiff). There seems to be quite a few good practical centres in South Wales.

How difficult is it to find work for new C class drivers around South Wales? Do you recommend me looking to learn for my c+e ASAP after my c?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Happy driving everyone

Welshtrucker87:
Hi guys,
I am in my 30s and looking for a career change. Right at the beginning for me. Passed my medical today and sent my d2/4 forms off to DVLA Swansea.
Rewinding back 2 weeks, I jumped in to things and signed up with HGV experience on the phone, had all forms through the pos, read through them to find out they were charging me £4200 for my C class (medical, theory and cox provision, booking theory, cpc tests, practical lessons and test fee, along with linking me up with manpower to find work).
After quick realisation I was getting robbed, I cancelled it.

I plan to book things individually, as I done with my theory (booked through Big Wheelers in Cardiff). There seems to be quite a few good practical centres in South Wales.

How difficult is it to find work for new C class drivers around South Wales? Do you recommend me looking to learn for my c+e ASAP after my c?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Happy driving everyone

£4000 just for class c? Robbing ■■■■■■■■ good job you woke up [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

I had quite a few driving schools trying to sell me on a double course but I was unsure about how I would fare at driving and wanted to take things slowly but that’s just me.

Personally I have signed up with a couple of agencies unfortunately there are a fair few that are useless and you have to be fairly blunt with them.
There are companies that will take you on as a new pass for class c (wincanton for example) It all depends what’s around you and how far your prepared to travel for a days work.

I was in warehousing and couldn’t wait to get out so the first chance of a regular shift I took it. Others don’t wish to give up a permeant job for the chance of agency work which is obviously harder to find.

It’s all horses for courses I’m afraid and down to your own circumstance.

coop

I reckon, and will add this up properly over the next day or so, I spent just under 5k on…
Medical, revision books (bought them all), revision online tools 12 month subscription for hazard perception and multiple choice, all theory tests, hazard tests, cpc app on phone for case studies revision, cpc case study test - all booked through dvsa etc (except medical at Peter Smythes).

Booked them all myself so I could control when I’d learn and sit tests reducing effect on current work.
Then Class C and then Class C+E with Peter Smythe. I took pass protection on both of those, so if you’re less nervous/more confident there could be a saving there - I passed both first time, the training and facilities are excellent.

My advice would be visit who you intend to train with, do what you can yourself in the meantime so that it doesnt feel like you’re not progressing, and above all enjoy it if you can! I found it alot to learn. Dont stress, it will click, just allow yourself time.

Good luck dude!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Our CAT C is £1260 with CE £1530. All fully inclusive of 1:1 training with fully qualified and registered instructors. And, of course, you take your test at our private test centre. Accommodation free of charge. At the moment, MOD 4 free of charge. Pass Protection £250 per course (covers 3 retests per course).

On top of all that, entry into the Prize Draw which means you pay nothing for your course if you win.

Whilst the rates will remain the same for the near future, the Pass Protection will revert to £300 when our current offer ends 1100hrs Christmas Eve. This is when the draw takes place for the free course.

To take advantage, simply call the office 01623 555661 during office hours but BEFORE 1100hrs Christmas Eve, and pay your £200 deposit.

You wont beat us on standards and you certainly cant beat that offer.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Regarding jobs in South Wales - whereabouts are you and we can start giving you an idea of the work and firms.

Thanks a lot everyone for your views and advice. Looking forward to getting started in to my practical in Jan.

I live in Cynon Valley which is 20 miles from Swansea and Cardiff.

Peter Smythe:
Our CAT C is £1260 with CE £1530. All fully inclusive of 1:1 training with fully qualified and registered instructors. And, of course, you take your test at our private test centre. Accommodation free of charge. At the moment, MOD 4 free of charge. Pass Protection £250 per course (covers 3 retests per course).

On top of all that, entry into the Prize Draw which means you pay nothing for your course if you win.

Whilst the rates will remain the same for the near future, the Pass Protection will revert to £300 when our current offer ends 1100hrs Christmas Eve. This is when the draw takes place for the free course.

To take advantage, simply call the office 01623 555661 during office hours but BEFORE 1100hrs Christmas Eve, and pay your £200 deposit.

You wont beat us on standards and you certainly cant beat that offer.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Pete. I have seen your training centre on YouTube. It’s a shame you are a long distance from me. It makes sense for me to look in to reputable training firms which are closer to myself.
Thanks very much

Where you are located you’ll have a fair few options for either class 1 (c&e) or 2 (c).

Some good firms, some average and some I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but we’ll worry about that when you get your licenses.

You’ll probably know this already but Welsh firms are not the best payers. You can do ok and be comfortable but you will not earn top dollar.

The firms that do will not be advertising and are rare as hens teeth with a pile of CV’s waiting for a position to appear.

You want cash - head over the bridge.

Regarding Peter’s offer - my opinion - it’s worth looking at.

Don’t worry so much about the location, and after all the accommodation is free.

His firm have got a good reputation for a reason and your aim is to get the license(s) in the best way possible at a reasonable cost.

kjw21:
Where you are located you’ll have a fair few options for either class 1 (c&e) or 2 (c).

Some good firms, some average and some I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but we’ll worry about that when you get your licenses.

You’ll probably know this already but Welsh firms are not the best payers. You can do ok and be comfortable but you will not earn top dollar.

The firms that do will not be advertising and are rare as hens teeth with a pile of CV’s waiting for a position to appear.

You want cash - head over the bridge.

Regarding Peter’s offer - my opinion - it’s worth looking at.

Don’t worry so much about the location, and after all the accommodation is free.

His firm have got a good reputation for a reason and your aim is to get the license(s) in the best way possible at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the quality advice butty. Not so bothered about big wages for now, I know I will need to start from bottom and get experience with local ish drops before expecting tramping work.

Would you advise me getting my class 1 straight after my 2? Or just concentrate on getting experience in a rigid first? My goal is to drive artics though…

Yeah I will certainly look in to Peter’s offer. His firm seems very good. It doesn’t help my car is VERY thirsty on the fuel so it will probably cost a bit fuel wise to get there and back.

Thanks again mate

Would I get both at same time?

Pros and cons to it tbh.

Pros -

You are in the “habit” of learning and being tested. You have less time to pick up bad habits. You’ll at least have a vague idea of the routes and probably be already comfortable with your instructor.

Presumably you have the cash there and then. If you put it off you might not have that cash accessible again. That’s just life. We always have something that the money can go on elsewhere.

It does increase job opportunities by sheer fact of having the extra license which obviously allows you to apply for more than just class 2 work.

Possible discounts for doing both from training providers.

You don’t have to use your class 1 unless you want to. You can always gain a bit of confidence and then progress using your already obtained license.

If you want to tramp and prefer longer distance work - class 1 tends to be the choice. Not always but usually.

Final Pro I can think of - in my opinion Class 1 work is generally easier. Some class 2 lads do more drops in a day than I do in a month. Might be your cup of tea - it isn’t mine.

Cons -

If you have no experience in transport whatsoever you are basically going in at the deep end. Not necessarily a bad thing and it’s doable. Plenty do.

It isn’t brain surgery but I guarantee you’ll be nervous as hell. Some prefer to ease their way into it.

It’s a large outlay with no guarantee of work. Class 2 only means you’ve only potentially ■■■■■■■ half the cost before starting to earn from your license.

Quite a simple one - you might not like the job. It’s a fair bit of cash if it turns out not to be for you. No shame in it.

I could probably think of a load more but just weigh up what you want, where you want to be at the end of it, where you are working now (is it worth risking??), what sort of work do you fancy?, and a fairly important one - if you’ve got a partner/family - what do they think?

Anything you want to ask just go ahead. There’s a lot of experience on here and most will help out no bother.

kjw21:
Would I get both at same time?

Pros and cons to it tbh.

Pros -

You are in the “habit” of learning and being tested. You have less time to pick up bad habits. You’ll at least have a vague idea of the routes and probably be already comfortable with your instructor.

Presumably you have the cash there and then. If you put it off you might not have that cash accessible again. That’s just life. We always have something that the money can go on elsewhere.

It does increase job opportunities by sheer fact of having the extra license which obviously allows you to apply for more than just class 2 work.

Possible discounts for doing both from training providers.

You don’t have to use your class 1 unless you want to. You can always gain a bit of confidence and then progress using your already obtained license.

If you want to tramp and prefer longer distance work - class 1 tends to be the choice. Not always but usually.

Final Pro I can think of - in my opinion Class 1 work is generally easier. Some class 2 lads do more drops in a day than I do in a month. Might be your cup of tea - it isn’t mine.

Cons -

If you have no experience in transport whatsoever you are basically going in at the deep end. Not necessarily a bad thing and it’s doable. Plenty do.

It isn’t brain surgery but I guarantee you’ll be nervous as hell. Some prefer to ease their way into it.

It’s a large outlay with no guarantee of work. Class 2 only means you’ve only potentially ■■■■■■■ half the cost before starting to earn from your license.

Quite a simple one - you might not like the job. It’s a fair bit of cash if it turns out not to be for you. No shame in it.

I could probably think of a load more but just weigh up what you want, where you want to be at the end of it, where you are working now (is it worth risking??), what sort of work do you fancy?, and a fairly important one - if you’ve got a partner/family - what do they think?

Anything you want to ask just go ahead. There’s a lot of experience on here and most will help out no bother.

Yeah good points pal, first thing is first and that is wait for my provisional to come back, then I will book my theories, so I will spend Xmas thinking what is best for me.

I am edging towards doing both though…do you mind me asking where you done your practicals?

I did mine a few years ago (15 for class 2, 12 for class 1) back near where I’m originally from - Featherstone near Wolverhampton.

A friend of mine is about to do their training with COTTS in Swansea - I’ll ask how he finds them and let you know. I used them for a CPC module and they were extortionate but I was in a bit of a rush and out of options.

The only other I ever really hear about are ATTS in Brynmenyn - quite a few newer drivers I either work with or know seem to use them. Never heard anything bad about them but haven’t a clue about costs etc.