Career change!!

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum and this is my first post :smiley:

Being in the same job for 13 years i’ve recently decided i need a career change. As i absolutley love driving i’ve been looking into getting an HGV licence to pursue a career in it. I’ve already researched the different licenses i need, i.e class C and class C & E but am finding it difficult to get prices up on line for the training needed to obtain these licenses. I’ve decided to get my provisional, medical and theory done on my own, is this a good idea or should i do it all with a training school. Also if anyone could advise me on roughly what i can expect to earn as a class C driver and what i can earn as a class C & E driver that would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you all! :smiley: :smiley:

Deano78

:bulb: If you click on the link in my Sig it will take you to an excellent information base for learners. Also included is a list of recommended training schools provided by the members on this forum. :bulb:

Deano78:
I’ve decided to get my provisional, medical and theory done on my own, is this a good idea or should i do it all with a training school

CHEAP MEDICALS
As far as im aware…as long as the doctor can read and understand the forms your good to go. Might be worthwhile hanging about down the local pub and befriend a doc and save a few quid :wink: :wink: :grimacing:

Assuming you dont have C1 entitlement already on your licence, then … A little reading for the INITIAL CPC can be found HERE

Deano78:
Also if anyone could advise me on roughly what i can expect to earn as a class C driver and what i can earn as a class C & E driver that would be great

How long is a piece of string? I’ll be honest with you, subject to contrary belief of what portrayed in papers and what not, it is hard to get a start straight after passing your test. Up until recently it has been a employers market with respect that there has been more experienced drivers out of work than jobs available. Therefore these people are more likely to get a nod over newbies.
However recent posts on these pages would indicate that newbies are getting a chance. This is sometimes down to stubborness of continuing to find employment when the knock backs come and also willingness to adapt to vehicles being asked to drive (vans/7.5t even though they have a C+E licence).
So there is always a chance for work but it can be hard to find that first job. Wages are dependant on various factors.

Thanks for your help Tonka! :slight_smile:

Hi Deano78

Just a quick hint make sure you have an assesment drive before you book,
This will help you get a feel of the truck and a good trainer will be able to see how much training you need :wink:

regards

Jennie x

Welcome to the madhouse

Depends where you are as to the price of training

My provider done all for me arranged the medical at a good price & a lot cheaper than my own Dr arranged my HPT & theory test even suppling the CD roms for these the assessment drive then the training

Go for an assessment drive before you book if there is more than 1 in your area try them all to see which 1 you like best

Again depends where you live to what you will be paid you may have to work agency before you get a full time job

HIYYAAA & welcome deano78, there is no reason why you cant get started with your medical, theory & provisional lisence if you want to ,although there are trainers that can offer you this as well , this may suit some people & not others for different reasons . :smiley: