Wannabe LGV Driver seeks advice...=)

Hi folks!

After doing some travelling for the last two years abroad, now back in the UK, I’m looking at a career change. I had a couple of driving based jobs in Australia, and have always enjoyed driving, and aspire to achieving my C+E.

I have acquired some info from a local training firm (British HGV) based in Cannock, Staffordshire. It seems I can go two routes though. Either train through an independent firm, or do an apprenticeship through a big logistics company like stobarts. I’m thinking the former option may be better? I guess this is my first question.

It looks like it’s going to cost me around a thousand quid to achieve my class 2. Does it cost much more then to achieve your class 1■■? I know I’ve got to take it a step at a time.

The big worry though for me though, is if I do all this…are there any jobs at the end of it? After being out of the country for two years, it looks like it’s gone down the pan a tad in my absence. But what is it like in logistics? Will it be possible to get work at the end, and, if I do, is it best going straight to companies, or are agencies the best bet? I’m also a bit worried about all this “oh, you need two years experience” bullcrap.

I hope one of you guys on the inside might be able to shed some revealing light on what I should do for the best?

Also, I know it’s not really this forum, but I was also considering doing a PCV. I’m thinking LGV is better paid though in the long run? Also, I think it would be more fun driving artic’s!

Thanks very much in advance for any help =)
Gary.

Hi firstly, £2000 just for the class 2 seems really steep, I will be starting my training in the next few months and it’s going to cost me £1395 for a fully managed course for the Cat C/Class 2 (everything from medical to DCPC), then it’s a further £700 to go onto the Cat C+E/Class 1.

It will be difficult to get work to start, but there are places that take on new drivers. Just don’t give up looking. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Tarrman:
Hi firstly, £2000 just for the class 2 seems really steep, I will be starting my training in the next few months and it’s going to cost me £1395 for a fully managed course for the Cat C/Class 2 (everything from medical to DCPC), then it’s a further £700 to go onto the Cat C+E/Class 1.

It will be difficult to get work to start, but there are places that take on new drivers. Just don’t give up looking. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Think you need to read the OP again.

I don’t see any reference to two grand.

As to how hard it is to get work…

It won’t come to you. You have to put yourself out there. If you are willing to do this even with knock backs (nothing personal) then you should get something. Then with 2 years under your belt you will be in a much better position.

Have you thought about getting a job driving 7.5 tonners ? You can then get a flavour for the job, without having to spend a penny of your money.

I would stick with LGV as they say " the freight don’t complain !" Also do you want to be asking a drunk for money at 11 O’clock at night ?

Cheers all for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can only drive 3.5 tonne on my license parky, or I would give that a go.

I suppose it is just going to be a case of ‘keep trying’ with the job, once, and if I can pass the test. Hope so!

Definitely leaning towards LGV though I think. I was thinking coaches more than buses, but I dare say one would still encounter more than enough riffraff on those, and I like my solitude. :slight_smile:

gizzlechops:
It looks like it’s going to cost me around a thousand quid to achieve my class 2. Does it cost much more then to achieve your class 1■■? .

dar1976:

Tarrman:

I think you’ll find it is you who needs to read the OP again :wink:

Tarrman:

gizzlechops:
It looks like it’s going to cost me around a thousand quid to achieve my class 2. Does it cost much more then to achieve your class 1■■? .

dar1976:

Tarrman:

I think you’ll find it is you who needs to read the OP again :wink:

He says a thousand quid, nowhere he states £2000 … Just saying.

Cost me £1800 for C & C+E pluses CPC and digi card.
That’s with 3 days training and test on the 4th day

Swings and roundabouts on this 1, i used to drive vans for my old firm, after asking the boss nicely he put me through my class 2 and tied me to a 2 year contract which granted i never complained about because i was happy working there and i knew i would get plenty of experience in the mean time. After a couple of months on rigids I then paid out of my own money just under £1000 to do my C+E. After about 3 weeks of driving rentals he had brought me a new truck, which i thought was quite good going. Ive since moved on from there and have even managed to get my foot into the european door however since i left on good terms when the work is a bit quiet here they are always happy to have me back to do bits and bobs for them on the side. A different story for my dad who did his HGV and really struggled to find work for the first few months, agencies all said the same thing, no experience no job! Very frustrating for him as obviously you need the job to get the experience! As my dad works full time in another job this was not the end of the world and hes since managed to get agency work at the weekends to build his experience. I was lucky i worked for a small(ish) company where everybody knows each other and they look after their drivers, and i suppose i took it for granted knowing that if they wanted me to stay for 2 years they would be reluctant to get rid of me so i could push the boat out a little :smiling_imp: But ive got to be honest they looked after me really well and the experience i had during my time there was absolutely invaluable and got me where i am today no doubt about it. Alot of people will not like the idea of being tied into something but for me it certainly worked

Thank you NotBad4aYoungLad, that’s a great story, and certainly answers my other question. Looks like I have some thinking to do before I commit.

Just to clear up the little argument also going on, I said “a thousand quid” which means one thousand quid. Hope that helps :smiley:

Cheers folks
Gary.

Haha! Don’t worry, I’ll get me coat. I would of bet my house that it said two thousand quid lol I even quoted it. Can someone pass me the dunce hat… :blush:

Don’t worry Tarman, I’m sure you’re forgiven. Maybe a little more attention to words in your theory test? HaHa! :smiley:

Take it easy mate,

Gary :slight_smile: