Waiting Rooms

Spardo:
All this would be unecessary if they would provide foolproof wheelchocks.

They’ve got them at Amazon Peterborough, and Amazon Ellistown, and you’re still not allowed to wait in the cab, even if you’re unhooked from the trailer.

Spardo:
All this would be unecessary if they would provide foolproof wheelchocks. No need to spend time in somebody else’s idea of comfort. Just rest in your own space, listen to the radio, stretch out, sleep. Why the hell not?

I don’t defend uncivilised behaviour by drivers, but big rich companies like these should civilise themselves also.

Why should the customer pay to install and maintain this equipment?

Driver’s should be trusted no to pull off on red lights. Unfortunately some have proven incapable of this. In today’s culture of sue for anything a cheap and easy solution is drivers out of cabs.

kcrussell25:

Driver’s should be trusted no to pull off on red lights. Unfortunately some have proven incapable of this. In today’s culture of sue for anything a cheap and easy solution is drivers out of cabs.

Because it is a genuine health and safety issue and in the interests of all workers at the site. If they are really interested in safety they would install the chocks, and use them. The system they have now is open to abuse (false keys, sneaking back to the cab etc) in which they still could have a pallet truck fall into the gap if a driver pulled away.

Health and safety does not apply just to fork truck drivers, it also should consider transport drivers having the opportunity of a proper rest when not required to work.

To Ezydriver, are the Amazon ones installed into the concrete and rise up with remote control?

Spardo:

kcrussell25:

Because it is a genuine health and safety issue and in the interests of all workers at the site. If they are really interested in safety they would install the chocks, and use them. The system they have now is open to abuse (false keys, sneaking back to the cab etc) in which they still could have a pallet truck fall into the gap if a driver pulled away.

Health and safety does not apply just to fork truck drivers, it also should consider transport drivers having the opportunity of a proper rest when not required to work.

They are only required to do what is “reasonable” they don’t have to do everything possible just what is “reasonable”. Again you are back to the driver not being trusted. If you look at the way the world is going I think there is going to come a day when an accident happens and a driver will be prosecuted for this.

Then don’t take your break on the bay if you cannot rest. Or pull over outside for a break.

We as drivers have put ourselves in this position through the acts of others in our profession. I have only been driving for 6 months but haven’t seen a lot of the problems many on here complain of. Maybe I’m just lucky. Or maybe being polite and professional gets me further than shouting and swearing at goods in or the forkie

kcrussell25:
I have only been driving for 6 months but haven’t seen a lot of the problems many on here complain of. Maybe I’m just lucky. Or maybe being polite and professional gets me further than shouting and swearing at goods in or the forkie

Perhaps it might be better then to wait another 49 and a half years before we continue this discussion. Sadly I won’t be here to continue it with you. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:
To Ezydriver, are the Amazon ones installed into the concrete and rise up with remote control?

At the depots I mentioned they’re the ones that extend a bar between the tyres, holding the trailer back against the warehouse wall. Yes, they’re set into concrete. This type.

ezydriver:

Spardo:

At the depots I mentioned they’re the ones that extend a bar between the tyres, holding the trailer back against the warehouse wall. Yes, they’re set into concrete. This type.

They have something similar at Bernard Mattews sites, or at least the ones I went on, I think the reason is the have a lot of unaccompanied trailers on bays and it stops a driver hooking on and removing them while being loaded.

kcrussell25:
I have only been driving for 6 months but haven’t seen a lot of the problems many on here complain of. Maybe I’m just lucky. Or maybe being polite and professional gets me further than shouting and swearing at goods in or the forkie

Give it time, I think I lasted just over 2 years before I wanted to try something else that didn’t involve RDC type deliveries, because in the way visiting driver were treated by many places just because you were a visiting driver, that was over 20 years ago and I in no way fit the stereotype of the rude loudmouth driver.

muckles:

kcrussell25:

Give it time, I think I lasted just over 2 years before I wanted to try something else that didn’t involve RDC type deliveries, because in the way visiting driver were treated by many places just because you were a visiting driver, that was over 20 years ago and I in no way fit the stereotype of the rude loudmouth driver.

I’ve often read on here people say they treat goods in Staff or security hut people with courtesy and have no problems. When I was driving I found this absolutely not the case. I was always very friendly, courteous and pleasant and often overlooked the attitude that seemed to permeate like a rumbling backing track to the industry.

I found it so novel when places treated you respectfully that I mentally made a note and had them on a “like” list. It’s only when you work away from transport and see that is NOT a common theme day to day you realise how odd it was. Seems to come with the job. One thing about driving I really do not miss.

Freight Dog:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

I’ve often read on here people say they treat goods in Staff or security hut people with courtesy and have no problems. When I was driving I found this absolutely not the case. I was always very friendly, courteous and pleasant and often overlooked the attitude that seemed to permeate like a rumbling backing track to the industry.

I found it so novel when places treated you respectfully that I mentally made a note and had them on a “like” list. It’s only when you work away from transport and see that is NOT a common theme day to day you realise how odd it was. Seems to come with the job. One thing about driving I really do not miss.

personally I think it comes with the RDC type work, I’ve done plenty of other work haulage work over the years where I have been treated with respect and spoken to like a person, not some inconvienience to thier day. Jobs like Agricultural work, timber haulage and doing concrete and steel to building sites I was normally dealing with decent people, even having a laugh and enjoying the work.
And then there is the type of work I’m doing now, where I’m treated like a professional, (just need to act like one now :laughing: )

muckles:

kcrussell25:

To be clear I didn’t say all :smiley:

I have lasted 6 months. I start a Class 2 multi drop job next week. It will be more work no question but only 4 days and 5am starts rather than 5 days and midnight-2am start times. No nights outs. Its a bit of a pay cut but not much considering the drop of a day, more social start times and number of hours I won’t be working.

It wasn’t the RDC issue, just the right opportunity at this time

muckles:

Freight Dog:

muckles:

kcrussell25:

. It’s only when you work away from transport and see that is NOT a common theme day to day you realise how odd it was. .

personally I think it comes with the RDC type work, I’ve done plenty of other work haulage work over the years where I have been treated with respect and spoken to like a person, not some inconvienience to thier day. Jobs like Agricultural work, timber haulage and doing concrete and steel to building sites I was normally dealing with decent people, even having a laugh and enjoying the work.
And then there is the type of work I’m doing now, where I’m treated like a professional, (just need to act like one now :laughing: )

I’ve realised there’s a huge flaw in what I said. In aviation go through security and you’ll get the same treatment if not worse than haulage. So security types seem a common theme :laughing: .

Agree with the rdc comment, I really should’ve differentiated that as looking back when on general some of pleasant places were small importers, farm suppliers, military places I’ve been to. Basically outside of transport or “logistics” :smiley:

Well, the toilet doors are still off, and the second photo shows what you’ll be facing while you’re trying to have a ■■■■.

Apparently, a formal complaint was made so management have given permission for visiting drivers to use the admin toilet if they need to do a number 2, as it was established that the graffiti came from their own van drivers and warehouse staff.

The toilet saga continues…

ezydriver:

Spardo:

They’ve got them at Amazon Peterborough, and Amazon Ellistown, and you’re still not allowed to wait in the cab, even if you’re unhooked from the trailer.

Nearly every Amazon I go to has either an automatic wheel chock thing that move into place in front of the tyre or you chock the wheels yourself. Then you put a red suzie lock on the trailer and you’re still not allowed to sit in the cab.

Only place so far is the Amazon in Bathgate, if you have a collection, you can drop the trailer and park up and get some zzzz

Sainsbury’s…

Depots all require you to sit in the drivers waiting area. I suggested to one some years that I could drop my trailer, pull forward, wait for the green, couple up again, collect my notes and depart. This was of course refused. I then pointed out that the procedure I had just illustrated was actually enjoyed by their drivers at our depots when they come into load. I also showed him a photo of a Sainsbury’s lorry doing exactly what I’d suggested only two bays down from where we were stood having the conversation.

I was then given the ‘you’ll get banned’ from site routine to which I asked if he’d actually sign something to that effect and make it legally binding, he didn’t.

I’m not asking for an executive lounge that first class airline passengers expect and recieve. Just my cab OR somewhere clean, comfortable, with wi-fi (why do so many RDCs appear impervious to wi-fi signals?) and be left alone until they’ve got their 10 boxes of bananas.

yourhavingalarf:
Sainsbury’s…

Depots all require you to sit in the drivers waiting area. I suggested to one some years that I could drop my trailer, pull forward, wait for the green, couple up again, collect my notes and depart. This was of course refused. I then pointed out that the procedure I had just illustrated was actually enjoyed by their drivers at our depots when they come into load. I also showed him a photo of a Sainsbury’s lorry doing exactly what I’d suggested only two bays down from where we were stood having the conversation.

I was then given the ‘you’ll get banned’ from site routine to which I asked if he’d actually sign something to that effect and make it legally binding, he didn’t.

I’m not asking for an executive lounge that first class airline passengers expect and recieve. Just my cab OR somewhere clean, comfortable, with wi-fi (why do so many RDCs appear impervious to wi-fi signals?) and be left alone until they’ve got their 10 boxes of bananas.

I once went to Sainsbury’s Northampton. Went on a bay. Gave bloke inside the keys, asked him what the procedure was. He just said wait in the waiting room and you’ll be called.

On way, briefly went back to the Cab to get my phone, got out and shunter comes screaming over and starts barking at me “you should know better” etc etc. Clearly I had committed a haenius crime to humanity somewhere, but I took serious umbrage at being spoken to like a child and asked what it was about Sainsbury’s Northampton that I clearly should’ve been born knowing. He said I wasn’t allowed back into the cab after I was on the bay. A bit of a disagreement ensued, mainly about the way he was speaking to me and also the fact he kept going on about it. I pointed out far from “should know better” that I rarely come to Sainsbury’s Northants, don’t live in Sainsbury’s Northants and visit multiple other sites that allow you to visit the Cab and if it was such a hideous local crime perhaps their idiot of a security man should verbally mention it rather than throwing a glance to the printed rules on the wall before shooeing me out the door due to the que.

■■■■■■■ hitlers. I think rules for these places are created for those with small brains to feel proud they have something to lord over others and policed with all the visciousness of the chronically bored. Waiting room was a dump too. Couldn’t wait to get out of the ■■■■ hole.

Will_161:

ezydriver:

Spardo:

Nearly every Amazon I go to has either an automatic wheel chock thing that move into place in front of the tyre or you chock the wheels yourself. Then you put a red suzie lock on the trailer and you’re still not allowed to sit in the cab.

Only place so far is the Amazon in Bathgate, if you have a collection, you can drop the trailer and park up and get some zzzz

You could at Ellistown and Peterborough too, until for some reason they changed the rules one day. Enjoy Bathgate while you can!

At the other end of the extreme, I delivered to Waitrose RDC at Chorley last night. I duly entered the goods in office, and for what it was worth I asked about sitting in the cab. “yeah” she said “just wait in your ca…” WHOOOOOSH I was out of that office before she could finish the sentence! No wheel chocks, no automatic chock, no stop sign, no suzie locks, just keeping an eye on the red light like the old days. The waiting room did have flowers in vases on the tables, mind. Not even joking.

Freight Dog:
I once went to Sainsbury’s Northampton. Went on a bay. Gave bloke inside the keys, asked him what the procedure was. He just said wait in the waiting room and you’ll be called.

On way, briefly went back to the Cab to get my phone, got out and shunter comes screaming over and starts barking at me “you should know better” etc etc. Clearly I had committed a haenius crime to humanity somewhere, but I took serious umbrage at being spoken to like a child and asked what it was about Sainsbury’s Northampton that I clearly should’ve been born knowing. He said I wasn’t allowed back into the cab after I was on the bay. A bit of a disagreement ensued, mainly about the way he was speaking to me and also the fact he kept going on about it. I pointed out far from “should know better” that I rarely come to Sainsbury’s Northants, don’t live in Sainsbury’s Northants and visit multiple other sites that allow you to visit the Cab and if it was such a hideous local crime perhaps their idiot of a security man should verbally mention it rather than throwing a glance to the printed rules on the wall before shooeing me out the door due to the que.

[zb] hitlers. I think rules for these places are created for those with small brains to feel proud they have something to lord over others and policed with all the visciousness of the chronically bored. Waiting room was a dump too. Couldn’t wait to get out of the [zb] hole.

Maybe you should read the sheet of A 4 they give you that explains the site and rules then, it’s given to all drivers on entry and some sites are now incorporating in to the site gate pass .

ezydriver:
At the other end of the extreme, I delivered to Waitrose RDC at Chorley last night. I duly entered the goods in office, and for what it was worth I asked about sitting in the cab. “yeah” she said “just wait in your ca…” WHOOOOOSH I was out of that office before she could finish the sentence! No wheel chocks, no automatic chock, no stop sign, no suzie locks, just keeping an eye on the red light like the old days. The waiting room did have flowers in vases on the tables, mind. Not even joking.

I’m in there a lot. The flowers are plastic though.
It’s a nice bright Clean waiting area the chairs are pretty good too.
I’m just glad to sit in there at a table and eat a spot of lunch I normally get at least 30min on the bay.
The loo is clean too :wink:

Freight Dog:

yourhavingalarf:
Sainsbury’s…

[zb] hitlers. I think rules for these places are created for those with small brains to feel proud they have something to lord over others and policed with all the visciousness of the chronically bored. Waiting room was a dump too. Couldn’t wait to get out of the [zb] hole.

it seems all shunter are the same, they all talk to you like your dirt, i think they get board going round in circles, they must be pineing for the open road but cant find the exit