Worst places, why?

Just been reading Rikki’s ‘Best and worst places’ thread. :open_mouth:

Some of the crap that some drivers have to put up with on a daily basis, is nothing more than downright unacceptable and totally unfair.

Why do some firms consider it ok to dish out some of the treatment they do to visiting drivers, full time and sgency alike, as a matter of routine.

Drivers waiting, stuck in uncomfortable waiting rooms, some no bigger than large cupboards with few or no facilities.

Not being allowed to sit in cab .(although all stops pulled out to prevent the vehicle moving)

Not allowing drivers access to food (even though there are canteen facilities on site) and in one eg. , canteen staff actually told off in one case for taking pity on long waiting drivers :open_mouth:
Have a read of it for many other examples.

It just stinks, I personally rarely see it on my job, but why do we just think it is ok that these ■■■■ s see us as second class citizens, and readily accept that we are going to be treated as such, …or do we agree with their opinions of us?

What is the answer to put a stop to all this crap, or at least bring it to the attention to those that can improve things.

I know a lot of full time drivers firms do not care, have any agencies complained, and what about the union guys on here, what are your views.
What about the guy starting the PDU , could he make a start on it on his task to better things for us, if he could get success in at least one big co, it would show he means what he says.

There is always someone else willing to put up with it, thats the only reason why. if you stand up for yourself and actually leave when the RDC in question doesn’t treat you like a human being you’ll get bollocked by your boss of not delivering the load.

Radar19:
There is always someone else willing to put up with it, thats the only reason why. if you stand up for yourself and actually leave when the RDC in question doesn’t treat you like a human being you’ll get bollocked by your boss of not delivering the load.

I didn’t leave, but once said to this ■■■■■■ behind a counter, who attempted to talk to me like ■■■■.
‘You wouldn’t dare speak to me in a pub like that as a stranger, so don’t in here’’ and glared at him, he just looked and never said a ■■■■ word. The little sh.
He could not do anything like refuse me, as I was polite and did not swear or raise my voice… Ok I didn’t get tipped any quicker, but I felt better for it.

May be every trucknet member should order shopping online then when the van arrives on the drive lock the gates ,take the shopping in then show the driver to the garden shed tell him you will be back when youve finished unpacking checking and signing ,but leave it an hour and put the explanation on his notes .

Punchy Dan:
May be every trucknet member should order shopping online then when the van arrives on the drive lock the gates ,take the shopping in then show the driver to the garden shed tell him you will be back when youve finished unpacking checking and signing ,but leave it an hour and put the explanation on his notes .

Why?
Is there also another Way?

Punchy Dan:

Bloody hell Dan, thank’s for the reminder mate! :blush: Dale, who brought my Morrisons order yesterday, will need be getting hungry by now… better go and let him out:shock: :laughing:

Had plenty of grief off of various weighbridge men and construction workers over the years but that was par for the course in those days, driver’s were the lowest of the low and either arrived too late or too early but never on time! :unamused:

Pete.

I bet he panicked when he saw your milking machine !

Robroy - What happened you your New year’s resolution? :open_mouth:
You manged just over a week! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When you have to put up with drivers gobbing off at you using profanity every other word because they’re too uneducated to know any other vocabulary, would YOU be making any efforts to be nice to them or ensure they get a quick turn around? The same applies in the cases where you are refused permission to use the toilets because your colleagues sh-@t out last nights curry from 4ft above the pan and deposited it half way up the walls whilst leaving it for someone else to clean up. In the vast majority of cases the treatment is justified.

I rarely have any issues with the customer nor their staff but that’s because I will always start off speaking to them properly as I would like people to do with me. Generally speaking if you are chatty, friendly and cooperative it is reciprocated however there will always be one or two exceptions and I can quite well imagine the grumpy and arsey ones have become so from being gobbed off at by some neanderthal driver.

Punchy Dan:
I bet he panicked when he saw your milking machine !

He was very wary of my sheep shearing equipment as well Dan!!! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Evil8Beezle:

Me? :open_mouth:
What did I say? :neutral_face:

How many drivers are actually that arsey with goods in staff?

In the last 9 years I can only remember seeing it 2 or 3 times from a driver to the customer.

Most times it’s just the usual formalities from the driver and the staff with no issues but I can honestly say that in those 9 years I have lost count of the amount of ■■■■■■■■ goods in staff I have witnessed and/or experienced.

kjw21:
How many drivers are actually that arsey with goods in staff?

In the last 9 years I can only remember seeing it 2 or 3 times from a driver to the customer.

Most times it’s just the usual formalities from the driver and the staff with no issues but I can honestly say that in those 9 years I have lost count of the amount of [zb] goods in staff I have witnessed and/or experienced.

Indeed so, all the delivery driver is basically interested in is getting tipped and his notes signed.
It’s a RDC thing that everyone who works there gets brainwashed into thinking they are more important than anyone else in the world.
I believe Morrisons invented brainwashing and all the others followed suit.

Carl Usher:
The same applies in the cases where you are refused permission to use the toilets because your colleagues sh-@t out last nights curry from 4ft above the pan and deposited it half way up the walls whilst leaving it for someone else to clean up. 7

Yeh but do you really believe it?
Is it not just a convenient excuse to maintain the attitude towards drivers that I am on about. An excuse that has been used that many times in the past, by so many warehouse ops in so many places, that it has become something between a cliche and an urban myth.
I know a hell of a lot of drivers as I’m sure you do, I don’t even think the ones that are a bit lacking on the, shall we say… social class side, even ■■■■ up the walls to be honest.
However if this phantom wall ■■■■ ter is real, he’s a ■■■■■■ legend, and I’ve been apparently following this guy around (and my Dad before me) for last God knows how many years according to a lot of goods in knob heads… :unamused:

robroy:

Carl Usher:
The same applies in the cases where you are refused permission to use the toilets because your colleagues sh-@t out last nights curry from 4ft above the pan and deposited it half way up the walls whilst leaving it for someone else to clean up. 7

Is it not just a convenient excuse to maintain the attitude towards drivers that I am on about. An excuse that has been used that many times in the past, by so many warehouse ops in so many places, that it has become something between a cliche and an urban myth.
I know a hell of a lot of drivers as I’m sure you do, I don’t even think the ones that are a bit lacking on the, shall we say… social class side, even [zb] up the walls to be honest.
However if this wall [zb] ter is real, he’s a [zb] legend, and I’ve been apparently following this guy around for last God knows how many years according to a lot of goods in knob heads… :unamused:

I think as with most stories in this industry it’s a mixture of truth, fabrication and exaggeration. Certainly seen the aftermath of the wall [zb]ter at the customer premises of a place I go to regularly and that toilet block is exclusively for the use of drivers.

In reply to the other chap above about RDCs, it’s not necessarily what the driver says but his body language and general demeanor which produces the hostility. Take a look around on your travels and the majority of drivers look like they’ve been rolling round in a garage inspection pit with their grease covered filthy hi-viz clothing. And then there’s the stench of B.O. which there is no excuse for.

If I had to face that numerous times a day I think I would became rather jaded towards truckers too. Of course none of this is helped by RDCs using you as free mobile storage instead of getting on with the job of unloading you and getting you on your way in a timely manner.

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

I think the general gist was you not upsetting people by being: Outspoken, Cantankerous, Gobby, Obstinate, Belligerent, Brusque, Contentious… Shall I go on? :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Evil8Beezle:

I think the general gist was you not upsetting people by being: Outspoken, Cantankerous, Gobby, Obstinate, Belligerent, Brusque, Contentious… Shall I go on? :grimacing:

Yeh but come on!..How could I actually manage that ffs? …I’m ALL of those :sunglasses: :laughing:

Carl Usher:

robroy:

Carl Usher:

I know a hell of a lot of drivers as I’m sure you do, I don’t even think the ones that are a bit lacking on the, shall we say… social class side, even [zb] up the walls to be honest.
However if this wall [zb] ter is real, he’s a [zb] legend, and I’ve been apparently following this guy around for last God knows how many years according to a lot of goods in knob heads… :unamused:

I think as with most stories in this industry it’s a mixture of truth, fabrication and exaggeration. Certainly seen the aftermath of the wall [zb]ter at the customer premises of a place I go to regularly and that toilet block is exclusively for the use of drivers.

In reply to the other chap above about RDCs, it’s not necessarily what the driver says but his body language and general demeanor which produces the hostility. Take a look around on your travels and the majority of drivers look like they’ve been rolling round in a garage inspection pit with their grease covered filthy hi-viz clothing. And then there’s the stench of B.O. which there is no excuse for.

If I had to face that numerous times a day I think I would became rather jaded towards truckers too. Of course none of this is helped by RDCs using you as free mobile storage instead of getting on with the job of unloading you and getting you on your way in a timely manner.

Looking scuffy doesn’t make you a nasty person, spoken with lots of drivers that looked like they had been dragged through a hedge backwards but are as nice as pie.

Radar19:

Carl Usher:

robroy:

Carl Usher:

Looking scuffy doesn’t make you a nasty person, spoken with lots of drivers that looked like they had been dragged through a hedge backwards but are as nice as pie.

True of course, but first impressions count for a lot! :bulb:

I hate RDC’s with a vengeance, and i went into other driving work where i don’t have to visit them, it appears i’ve missed nowt.
My last thankfully short foray into agency limping 5/6 years ago saw me visit a few and that soon disabused me of the notion things might have improved.

My suggestion is to find other work boys and girls where RDC deliveries don’t feature, it won’t improve the situation at Stalag 19 but it won’t be you that has to suffer it.
If enough people do this and companies delivering to RDC’s can’t get quality staff, the RDC’s will eventually run short of mobile warehousing, then they’ll be forced to do something about it.

Alternatively, change sides and go work for the enemy, the supermarkets where they direct employ are reasonable payers (mostly) and at least you can use the facilities and not be shut in holding pen with the other prisoners.