volvo f88

hi all looking for old type air con unit kysor for my 89 rebuild any help grateful regards rowland

rward:
hi all looking for old type air con unit kysor for my 89 rebuild any help grateful regards rowland

One option would be a modern roof top air-con unit with a dummy cover to make it look like a period Kysor, I drove an ex BRS Marathon for a short time many moons ago and as I remember the unit was only a rectangular box with a reverse sloping ‘slatted’ silver front grille. It was white with a dark grey stripe & with Kysor written on each side so wouldn’t be hard to make a decent enough copy I recon.

Good luck with the ‘resto’ Rowland.

Ross.

skandiahamn:

FH13:
Hello rward!
My apologises I wasn’t remind or got a mail so I tough his tread was “dead”
No in Sundsvall we haven’t any F88 or F89 as is still running. Many have been sold to Eastland and sure Russia. But as a veteran we have some F88/G89.
veteranlastbilar.se/normal.asp?pageid=713
Click on “Evenemangsfoton” as show pictures from “Tunga rallyt Väst” and then “Ã…kerihistoriska”
Evenemangsfoton
GBG 2011
Åkarsvängen Södertälje
Pärlrallyt Helsingborg
Smålandsrundan
Rättvik
Motala
Click on every name or year and then chose year. What happen is you all well see a lot of unknown and unused Lorries. We here in Sweden have been used to Lorries with hood and BeGe-cabine. You will also notice how many Scania-Vabis as Scania was named first and to the late 60 I guess as have remained compared to Volvo. These Lorries is so beloved of us older and we felt nostalgic sometimes. Many are really old 1940 decade and more. The Lorries as have a round hood is Volvo of various models nicknamed “Rundnos” meaning roundnose and some large F89/F88 (24 m) and heavy Scania 140 as have been tax-free can been seen. A red Volvo Titan with a position with a tarpaulin over and a trailer behindd and large BeGe-cabine for long haul is my favourite. It is a 1954 years model with 150 hp and the Volvo veteran club of Gothenburg is the owner. There is also 1 or 2 F85/86 models and F86 with nose as reminds of Titan, Viking and F86/FB86. FB86■■? According to AB Volvo were FB a Bogie with a nose and a heavier model as were good for all types of load but as a tipper it were outstanding. Easier climb into and better than Scania as had a tendency to get stuck were Volvo could drive without be bogged too often.
AB mean joint-stock company.
Please ask me via PM or direct via Forum if you ponder of anything.
Lars-Gunnar :smiley:

Hello Lars-Gunnar,

It’s good to see you here and the Veteranlastbilar forum back again, I had so many problems logging on I didn’t look for a few months, the new format looks good!

I hope to get over for the SmÃ¥landsrundan 2013…we are in India for our 2012 holiday…so trucks with wooden sheds for cabines!!

Cheers,
Nick

Thank you Skandiahamn. That rigid is an early type as the vipers sits near the cabin roof so it is right as you say.

Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

I had an official Volvo dealer book which had come from Goteborg and there was a mention in there that the reason Volvo became so successful in the UK was due to Scania :unamused:

Apparently the two Jims, McKelvie and Keyden flew to Sweden to look at some powerful lightweight units for their own haulage businesses, on the way the meeting was cancelled or delayed by Scania and so as not to waste the journey they managed to call in at Volvo and the rest as they say is History. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I still had the book to scan some pictures, it was about the size of a phone directory and covered marine, car and lorry development.

A good colour picture of the 88 eight legger when operated by Cowans appears on the back of Colin Wrights excellent 1983 book about 8 wheelers. This book also features an F86 eight wheeler that was originally a six wheeler and the same wagon when fitted with a F88 cab by a later owner.

Wheel Nut:
I had an official Volvo dealer book which had come from Goteborg and there was a mention in there that the reason Volvo became so successful in the UK was due to Scania :unamused:

Apparently the two Jims, McKelvie and Keyden flew to Sweden to look at some powerful lightweight units for their own haulage businesses, on the way the meeting was cancelled or delayed by Scania and so as not to waste the journey they managed to call in at Volvo and the rest as they say is History. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I still had the book to scan some pictures, it was about the size of a phone directory and covered marine, car and lorry development.

WheelNut is that you say rumours? Should the great Volvo F88/89 be a success due to Scania-Vabis? Difficult understand because I ask myself why the staff of Södertälje, Sweden should be so silly. They are smarter than so or so did the think it no should have any bearing.
Sure you had that booklet but yet that as happen is unlike we Swedes are doing.

I will check Scania jubilees book and se if there is anything but I doubt. Don’t forgot the make were called Scania-Vabis until the end of 1968 and when the V8-engine at 350 hp was developed 1969 become the old name only Scania

1969 the company became merged with SAAB who formed an industry group and became SAAB-Scania

Lars-Gunnar :wink: :slight_smile:

FH13:

Wheel Nut:

WheelNut is that you say rumours? Should the great Volvo F88/89 be a success due to Scania-Vabis? Difficult understand because I ask myself why the staff of Södertälje, Sweden should be so silly. They are smarter than so or so did the think it no should have any bearing.
Sure you had that booklet but yet that as happen is unlike we Swedes are doing.

I will check Scania jubilees book and se if there is anything but I doubt. Don’t forgot the make were called Scania-Vabis until the end of 1968 and when the V8-engine at 350 hp was developed 1969 become the old name only Scania

1969 the company became merged with SAAB who formed an industry group and became SAAB-Scania

Lars-Gunnar :wink: :slight_smile:

I know the Scania was known as Scania Vabis, now if it is a rumour or a very clever marketing exercise by Volvo, after all they paid for the book.

LGK 3D was the first Scania to be registered in the UK it was an LB76 and was surpassed by a Volvo simply because the Volvo models had a tilt cab, other haulage companies imported their own vehicles until a dealer network was set up. This thread is dedicated to the Volvo and yet we are discussing some inferior product whose quality is going backwards with every new model launch :stuck_out_tongue:

Had a look at the u tube video kindle posted brought back a few memories, I suppose he ws just using the splitter for demo, When loaded I would prob use it on the top 4 so more or less as a 12spd, although everyone on here seems to call it a splitter I think Volvo called it an overdrive. Heres a pic Ive posted elsewhere unfotunatly the only one Ive got. Pic was taken aprox 1976 /77 it was the 240 cream & blue interior Collinson bought it second hand when it was about 18mth old I drove it till sept81 got a new cab about 83/84 tinworm & was still shunting for collinson well into the 2000`s, pic of it with 290grill posted of it on Old North East posts somewhere.

King of the road summer 1976 vest on Brown right hand shoulder & arm :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Here`s a pic I took while driving my88 :blush: :blush: of another 88 passing it think I took it for some competition Volvo were having. Not you is it wheelnut looks like Walkers on the Headboard or maybe Walters

greek:
everyone on here seems to call it a splitter I think Volvo called it an overdrive.

I think you’ll find Volvo called it a splitter too, hence the gearbox titles, SR62, SR70 etc, S= Splitter R=Range change.

Ross.

greek:
Here`s a pic I took while driving my88 :blush: :blush: of another 88 passing it think I took it for some competition Volvo were having. Not you is it wheelnut looks like Walkers on the Headboard or maybe Walters

Unfortunately not me. I never got the chance to drive one in proper anger, only off road. (well almost) I classed Hull Docks as offroad

Seem to remember overdrive on a little plate above the lever bigr250, might be memory playing tricks, somebody might have a photo of interior or writeups on them?

Same wagon near enough 30 yr on from when I got it looks like it could do with another new cab( pic curtesey F7sid)

Wheel Nut:

greek:

Unfortunately not me. I never got the chance to drive one in proper anger, only off road. (well almost) I classed Hull Docks as offroad

Hiya …this volvo is AM Walker…it was also Midland Storage the driver is possibly Wally a pal of mine he had the first 88 on tank work(he had a Marshall at first) the later ones had the big grill IICR Jeff Skellan from Ashbourne had the lorry after Wal
useless info
John

hi all,
an iconic truck,i love em.me in mine 2004 anglo-scottish road run :sunglasses: .

jb evans

though tin worm,was an issue :laughing:

pete 359:
hi all,
an iconic truck,i love em.me in mine 2004 anglo-scottish road run :sunglasses: .

No full pics pete maybe you could keep me right is there a plate above the splitter / overdrive i still think it was refered to as overdrive

yes ur right there is a little badge that says overdrive on the top of the surround on the splitter lever

f88vol:
yes ur right there is a little badge that says overdrive on the top of the surround on the splitter lever

Thank you F88 thought my memory wasn`t playing tricks,Overdrive it will be then Not splitter