VOLVO F89

Hi all

Back in 2002, I foolishly sold a Volvo F89 to a father and son called Alan and Daniel Davies from Minsterley near Shrewsbury, (young Dan worked at the Volvo dealers in Shrewsbury at the time). The Volvo was an ex Murfitts motor, NJE 776R, It would be nice if anyone knew how they have got on with restoring it or indeed if its been finished or not. I originally bought the wagon from a guy named Jim Hacking, an owner driver who was still running to Turkey with it up until 1996. Anyone know the wagon? It had a white cab with blue stripes on, roofrack, sun visor and the biggest set of air horns I ever saw. The chassis was light metallic blue, she was a real looker even though the cab was rotten! Any info would be great.

you sold an f89 ■■? are you mad :open_mouth:

i drove this one back in the day . OKD 867S
it was boiling red hot in summer and freezing cold in winter , smoked its head off from cold and not enough room to swing your finger round but i loved it …
oh and dont blame me for the bling … nowt to do with me … :smiley:

forgot to put the picture up … :blush:

bowser:
you sold an f89 ■■? are you mad :open_mouth:

Yep Bowser, what a ■■■■■■ heejert I was to sell a motor like that, but I was only 23 at the time and hadnt fully realised just how rare and valuable they are now, and to make things even worse, I got a second hand cab for it off a bloke in Great Yarmouth, totally rust free as it had come from Sweden for 1500 nicker, only paid a grand for the unit to start with, so it stood me at 2.5k, sold it for 3.5k but regretted it ever since, sob sob. That one you had looked smart by the way, very similar to how mine looked, its suprising how a few stripes and bits and bobs can make a motor look good without going over the top dont ya think?

bowser:
i drove this one back in the day . OKD 867S
it was boiling red hot in summer and freezing cold in winter , smoked its head off from cold and not enough room to swing your finger round but i loved it …
oh and dont blame me for the bling … nowt to do with me … :smiley:

forgot to put the picture up … :blush:

You must be not far from me Bowser , I am at Atherton only a stones throw from you in Bolton.

i thought you must be near by to have seen the foden and yes i know atherton …

HIya Jimbotruck.if you go to Llandudno transport festival 2009 on google. The key in road run you will see a photo
of a F89 that Alan and Dan restored its in Cadwallider,s colours.I,ve got some photo,s of her but i,am not on my
computer at the moment ant not sure where to find my photo,s on this set up
John

3300John:
HIya Jimbotruck.if you go to Llandudno transport festival 2009 on google. The key in road run you will see a photo
of a F89 that Alan and Dan restored its in Cadwallider,s colours.I,ve got some photo,s of her but i,am not on my
John

morning john,
would that be this one mate? :question:
regards andrew

3300John:
John

Morning John, dont think thats the one, unless they changed the registration number, the reg number on the one I sold was NJE 776R, cant see why they would do that though??

[/quote]
A mighty fine looking truck.

It’s interesting how a motor such as the '89 caught the imagination of most everybody.

They were not the biggest or most powerfull, not the easiest or most relaxing to drive, and certainly not the most comfortable. But for whatever reason they were a favourite of so many a driver and fitter alike.

A truck to stir the heart…

Steve.

What a magnificent looking lorry, only thing I don’t like is the illuminated headboard but thats not a critisism just a personal preference.

Fly sheet

[album]1302[/album]

This is one with a simular one I had on Camels 0KD867S also had UIA8729 on there best motors ive ever had Note the 240 grill where damaged panel wouldnt let the wide grill sit

Here are a few pics of an F89 I was looking at earlier this year in the land of clogs and windmills

jimbotruck:
I originally bought the wagon from a guy named Jim Hacking, an owner driver who was still running to Turkey with it up until 1996

if it’s the same bloke, from bolton, he also used to run an ex sunter’s F89 with the coachbuilt ballastbox removed, i thought around the same time, but could have been earlier :confused:

OLD F 89 I Had pulling beams out of Lenwade and Tallington ,during the 80’s
Popeye aka Concrete Cowboy
scan0003.jpg