Unautherised device

Where is Harry Monk with his sausages? :laughing:

tam:
… it was all my doing to make the lorry go faster. …it just gave me an extra hundred rpm so the limiter didnt kick in untill about 59 mph :blush:

I’m curious as to WHY you needed the truck to go faster :question:

Rog I can understand why he wanted the truck to go faster. At 54/55/56 all the trucks are huddled together scrambling for space, and you may be running marignally faster than the man in front but it will take a lifetime to overtake and the man on the inside will take great pleasure hanging you out to dry in the middle lane.

I used to drive a truck that done 59mph. It did make life so much easier as you were faster than all the others, overtaking was no problem, no one holding you out or keeping you from running on the limiter. It made a considerable difference to your day. The same truck was then recalibrated to 54mph. That made all the difference, I used to be able to reach London Heathrow in under 9 hours from Carinryan. At 54 I had to pull into Oxford Services and take a second 45 to go to 10 hours driving. That cost me over two hours, the break and the heavy commuter traffic on the M4 that I used to be able to beat beforehand. Then it cost me more time at the Horseshoe as I was way at the back of the queue… overall it probably added up to an extra four hours to the run.

As long as you play it really really stupid lad you should be okay, If you were not the one who put the wire in it will go a way to helping you. If you are questioned, you panicked about the card as you felt the work was not scheduled to be compliant with the drivers hours and you did not want to be prosecuted for bad cards. As long as you weren’t to benefit (i.e paid by load, mile etc.) then it would send them looking towards the person who scheduled the work. Claim you were pressurised etc…
My advice. Sing like a canary and hang anyone who put you in this position. They will do the same to you to protect their own backsides. Don’t be a hero and take the rap.

the TC is bound to get wind of it regardless. sorry to hear about your job but if i am honest i dont think any company would keep a driver on who had been caught running on the wire whether is be a running break or making it go faster,

your company’s OCRS SCORE will probably fall off the scale :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: surely you must of know the risks :question: :question:

i’m not an expert but could the TC not order a review of the comanies o’licence because if this :question: :question: :question:

lorry

Are you saying that you HAD to do this to keep your job :question:

daf

I’m lost for words. :unamused: :unamused:

tam:
i just like to be able pass folk when i need to,the reason for the blank card was simply because i thought i was go to run over my spreadover by about an hour. i had been pakd at the rdc for 5 hrs before hand

So let me get this straight…
You deliberately ‘fixed’ the vehicle so it would go faster to gain an advantage over others
AND
Instead of saying to the people at the RDC , “I’m going to go over my hours, deal with me or I’m off, your choice”, you decided to falsify your records
Is that about the right take on it ?

If it is then …

tonyb70:
I’m lost for words. :unamused: :unamused:

volvo

tam:
no, i just like to be able pass folk when i need to

Hold on a sec… Please Mary Mother of God… Please tell me you did not tell the VOSA this! You tell them that you had someone interfere with the limiter on your lorry so you can be the big tang passing everyone out… ? You deseve to have the book aimed right at your head.

Why oh why did you not get rid of the wire■■? If you ever running on a wire have it where it can be removed in one pull. Dunderhead. Always think “If I’m stopped what can I do to get rid of this…?”

Tell them you were under pressure, unachievable workload, pressure of losing your job… real sob story…

Sorry, but this stinks of a wind up to me.

To answer you question: All should read this,

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/D … 202008.pdf

Speed limiters are designed and fitted to ensure that road safety for drivers themselves and other road users is preserved. They serve to limit the speed at which vehicles above a certain weight can travel on our roads. Braking and stopping distances are greatly affected by speed in any motor vehicle and this is never more evident than in a Large Goods Vehicle or Passenger Carrying Vehicle. Furthermore, they ensure that fair competition between operators is upheld. Over recent years enforcement agencies have detected widespread abuse of speed limiters, and Traffic Commissioners in setting these guidelines are keen to reflect the seriousness of speed limiter breaches in the way they deal with transgressions by the drivers.

Disabling a speed limiter is quite clearly an expression of intent to exceed the legally permitted speed.

a. Speeding in a vehicle with speed limiter not working with no evidence of tampering or interference by the driver but with clear written evidence of the driver bringing the matter to his employer’s attention either via the tachograph or the driver defect reporting system. Formal warning.

b. Speeding in a vehicle with speed limiter not working with no evidence of tampering by the driver but with no evidence of the driver bringing the matter to his employer’s attention either through the defect book or by writing on the reverse of the tachograph chart. 1 month suspension period. 5

c. Speeding in a vehicle with disabled speed limiter and evidence of tampering or interference by the driver. Suspension/revocation and disqualification from between 2 to 4 months. d. Use of any device to disable the speed limiter. Revocation and disqualification for between 6 to 12 months.

scamia

erf:

Hope that bit of info helps you anyway… The fact is you could lose the books. You are facing:

- d) Use of any device to disable the speed limiter. Revocation
and disqualification for between 6 to 12 months.

Get a solicitor. Your in the doo doo… The courts will take the direction from the VOSA. You deliberately interfered with your vehicle. Expect no leniency. Believe me… Get legal help now. Did you not see the case where the father and son both got jailed because the son was using his dads name on his cards??

Next time keep your doors locked hi! Them boys have a habit of sneaking up on ye!

goodbye

tam:
cheers dieseldave i told them who fitted the wire and that my boss didnt know about it it was all my doing to make the lorry go faster. it wasnt fitted in a way where false recods could be made it didnt record mobile/running breaks,it just gave me an extra hundred rpm so the limiter didnt kick in untill about 59 mph :blush:

Hi tam, I get your point about the mobile/running breaks and the extra 100 rpm, but you’ve not mentioned whether the recorded speed was also altered.

If the recorded speed wasn’t altered, then the CPC holder is probably going to face some awkward questions for not having detected it and done something about it.

If the recorded speed was altered, then they’ll probably suggest that the CPC holder ought to have realised that you were getting the job done quicker that the other guys on your firm, and looked into it.

I’m not judging you one way or the other tam, for only the proper authorities can do that, but nor could I condone your actions.
It seems you’ve been caught red-handed fair and square.
Looking at the first six words of your OP, my best answer is that I agree with Breaker One-Nine and think you need to take proper legal advice asap.

tam:
can anybody give me some advice? last week i was checked by vosa in an rdc in bellshill. i was tipping using a blank tacho because i wasnt sure if i would make it back to my depot within my spreadover. they also found a wire on the tachohead, thewire was used to disable the speedlimiter, it wasnt used for a mobile break or anything like that. mr vosa said cause i co-operated with them he would put the case to court rather than the comisioner.can anyone tell me realisticly what im looking at? he said i wont loose my license cause the courts dealing with it plus its my first offence.[been driving lgv for 10 year]

tam:
rog,please dont leave anymore comments,your absolutly no help what so ever

Cant say a lot apart from what othrs have said

DonutUK:
Sorry, but this stinks of a wind up to me.

tonyb70:

dieseldave:

ROG:
Is it me or does anyone else find it incredible that a driver would want to, or need to, do such things :question:

:open_mouth: Errr, … no ROG, it’s just you. :unamused: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

No. I’m with Rog.
No wonder the industry is in such a state,with hauliers or drivers doing more than they legally should.

Tonyb

Maybe your not really cut out for this work and as for gettin another job you really think anyones gonna risk taking you on :unamused:

deleted